Amazon Books - Can't Get from USA

More
12 years 5 months ago #21612 by Toast
Just ordered two books & they won't send them. I presume this is because of international postage.

How do I get around it?

I've bought from them in the past but I think both books came from Australia.

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #312990 by Organix
Book Depository is our preference to Amazon. Comparable prices, but free postage (from UK) :D

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 5 months ago #312992 by kaybe
International postage shouldn't make a difference. Some things can't be sent due to copyright laws. But normally if you are a registered user (which you must be if you have used them before) and your credit card details match your address details on Amazon's database, you should have no problem. Apparently a container-load of books arrives in NZ every day from Amazon!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 5 months ago #312997 by Kiwi303
Sometimes books in the US/Canada are printed by one publisher but another publisher has NZ and Australian rights to publish the book there and maybe a third has the UK/Euro rights.. It's not so much copyright, which stops someone from duplicating the entire book, or copying portions of the book, so much as the actual publishers rights which do not allow sellers in the area of one publishers zone to ship to the zone of the competing publishers.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 5 months ago #313005 by Seaside
I have found with Amazon that some sellers will post internationally and others won't. You need to go through the sellers who stock the book you want and look at their freight options/policies. Sometimes the postage is more than the book though.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 5 months ago #313024 by GrantK
Kiwi is right. It's because of International Distribution agreements between the different publishers and it's bl00dy annoying.

And we have found that these same restrictions apply to eBooks, which are "shipped" by download, so that makes even less sense.

With the help of a fellow geek, we have found an online bookstore selling a large range of fictional eBooks and there is a way to get around these geographic restrictions. Only any good if you like reading books on an eBook reader (or a laptop), but that's the way Inger prefers to read her books these days and it saves a lot of trees and postage costs, so makes a lot of sense to my way of thinking.

If anyone is interested in buying eBooks (as opposed to paper books), send me a PM and I'll forward the details on to you.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 5 months ago #313036 by Pumpkingirl
I hadn't come across this problem until recently, and it does seem to be very wishy-washy.

A particular children's book is not available in NZ at all, so I have bought it twice now off Amazon storefronts with no problem. Last night I tried to buy it again but three times the different stores involved would not post it even though they said they posted internationally.

However, I finally found one that did, so perhaps trolling around the different options might be useful. Admittedly my particular book is very old, so there were lots of "used" book options to choose from.

• jdnz
12 years 5 months ago #313195 by jdnz
Replied by jdnz on topic Amazon Books - Can't Get from USA
Resident librarian and orderer of books here.

A number of books are published with restrictions in place about where they can and cannot be sold. If Amazon aren't prepared to send them to NZ it may be that the rights have been sold to another publisher or distributor but they're not available in this side of the world yet.

If you want to let me know the authors/titles or even better ISBN numbers I'll check our book publishing database and let you know if there is a New Zealand or even Australian distributor and any new publication dates.

JD

More
12 years 5 months ago #313199 by Organix
Also worth trawling through Ebay, although the search function can be a little daunting for a starter :confused:

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 5 months ago #313214 by max2
I am still getting my orders from UK Amazon ok, although it comes via a european country for posting although the post pricing is getting silly.

Thought about trying Booktopia?

More
12 years 5 months ago #313227 by Pumpkingirl

Organix;298044 wrote: Also worth trawling through Ebay, although the search function can be a little daunting for a starter :confused:

In the past year I have become a big fan of Ebay. I must say, the design of the site does seem to be far more complex for no good reason compared to Trade Me - I personally think TM is far easier to use and covers the same options as Ebay.

I've only had one bad experience with Ebay out of about 30 purchases, and it was my first bad experience in almost 15 years of ordering things online - not bad going seeing as these days I do 99% of my gift shopping online.

I have also bought books and DVDs from a local website "Fishpond" but it does pay to check their prices vs Amazon - even with the exchange rate and postage I have found things cheaper on Amazon. However, I was very impressed with Fishpond's aftersales service - one of the gifts (a dvd) I bought for Christmas turned out to be a dud and wouldn't play properly. I sent an email to ask where to send it back to, and how to get a replacement. The replacement arrived with two days, and they told me not to worry about returning the dud.

My only small criticism with Fishpond is you can't ring them, they will only correspond by email. They say it's to keep costs down and I can totally respect that, but it is very annoying when you have a problem that's not covered in their FAQ.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313240 by Organix
Agreed PG. I have made some bargain buys from Ebay.com including CDs & DVDs, clothing and business equipment. Been bitten a couple of times but the bargains make up for those.

It is massive compared to Trade Me so takes a bit more skill in navigating but it does have the advantage over TM in that you can exclude items from your search. Think along the lines of a search for socks but you don't want wool for example - automatic culling of the predominant variant.

Also bought the odd Ebay.co.uk or Ebay.ca item but avoid Ebay.co.au as both items and postage are extortionate.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313318 by Prim
Ebay's search engine is so incredibly helpful - I agree, Organix, the option to exclude something is great.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds