Another Satellite Broadband Provider for those who can't get ADSL or Cellular service

More
12 years 5 months ago #320400 by Kiwi303

Jack;305941 wrote: Gidday

Hey Kiwi mate. Sorry about that. Me and me bloody big mouth.

No harm done mate.

Meanwhile, here is the pertinent bit from a PDF from inzone when I enquired about their prices.

http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4733&stc=1&d=1267742396

Attached files
File Attachment:

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #320402 by Cate
Thanks for that Grant, looks like the way to go. I hd a look at their coverage map and where we live it has 2 bars for 2 & 2.5 G where as Telecom shows no coverage at all (3G network) what is the difference between 2, 2.5 and 3 G (apart from I cant get 3 G coverage! :p )

Cate

More
12 years 5 months ago #320422 by oskatd
Why must they restrict the speed so much? What is the point in paying big $$ for somehting that is slower than the ADSL I can get (just). Bloody dark ages in this country.... grumble grumble.

More
12 years 5 months ago #320424 by Xartep

Cate;305992 wrote: Thanks for that Grant, looks like the way to go. I hd a look at their coverage map and where we live it has 2 bars for 2 & 2.5 G where as Telecom shows no coverage at all (3G network) what is the difference between 2, 2.5 and 3 G (apart from I cant get 3 G coverage! :p )

Hi Cate, we are on Vodaphone for both mobiles and homeline, (saved us quite a bit to change over) and with Canning & Associates (wizbiz) for internet. With Vodaphone you can get internet on plan also I believe.

But there are some quite big dead areas in the Wairarapa for Vodaphone.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 5 months ago #320475 by GrantK

Cate;305992 wrote: Thanks for that Grant, looks like the way to go. I hd a look at their coverage map and where we live it has 2 bars for 2 & 2.5 G where as Telecom shows no coverage at all (3G network) what is the difference between 2, 2.5 and 3 G (apart from I cant get 3 G coverage! :p )

2G is GSM (Voice and TXT only)
2.5G is GPRS (Data connection, but very slow)
3G is WCDMA (Voice, TXT and High-speed data)

So, you will be looking at Voice and TXT only, forget about GPRS data, it is slower than dial-up [xx(]

And for internet, hopefully you can get wired (ADSL) broadband, otherwise Vodafone won't be much help to you there.

There are several wireless providers in Taranaki but if you can get wired broadband, that will be the cheapest option.

oskatd;306014 wrote: Why must they restrict the speed so much? What is the point in paying big $$ for somehting that is slower than the ADSL I can get (just). Bloody dark ages in this country.... grumble grumble.

Such is life in the Satellite/Wireless world :(

We have a 1Mbps connection, which would seem pedestrian if you do a lot of Bit Torrent downloads, but actually, it doesn't slow us down much because most of the servers we use are overseas, and typically, you only get about 500kbps to most of those anyway.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds