Another Satellite Broadband Provider for those who can't get ADSL or Cellular service

More
12 years 6 months ago #21394 by GrantK
Another Satellite Broadband Provider has just come to my attention:

www.bigfrog.co.nz/index.html

In their FAQs they say that the satellite is to the North of NZ, rather than the West as is the case with IPStar (used by Farmside, Wireless Nation et al). So, for those who don't have a clear sky to the west, this may be another option. If you can look towards the north and have no obstructions above a 40 degree angle, you are most probably able to connect via Bigfrog.

One of the plans is priced at $67.44 incl. GST per month, which is pretty good value compared to Farmside.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #310645 by Kiwi303
Would that be the tadpole plan? They're quite light on pricing details... just a "contact us"

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 6 months ago #310648 by ame
Yes. Why do companies insist on doing this? Are they afraid that their competitors might find out and, er, compete?

A

More
12 years 6 months ago #310649 by GrantK

Kiwi303;295221 wrote: Would that be the tadpole plan? They're quite light on pricing details... just a "contact us"

I have posted a reply asking exactly that question to the installer who brought this to my attention. As soon as I hear something, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, feel free to contact Rural Broadband NZ directly on 0800 244 376 if you want to know more.

More
12 years 6 months ago #310662 by Istrian
I think that the master agent for this satellite service is www.inzonecorp.com/home.htm You can see that they are a subsidiary of Tuoaropaki trust from Taupo.

I checked them out before deciding to join with Farmside a couple of years ago. I guess a lot can change in that time so I'll follow this thread with interest.

More
12 years 6 months ago #310692 by GrantK

Istrian;295239 wrote: I think that the master agent for this satellite service is www.inzonecorp.com/home.htm You can see that they are a subsidiary of Tuoaropaki trust from Taupo.

Well spotted Istrian :)

Many of the pages from Rural Broadband NZ's web site have been copied pretty much exactly from Inzone Corp's web site, so it would appear that they are reselling the service. It's interesting that neither of them provide any pricing, except for the VoIP phone service.

I will post back here if I get any info. from the installer.

More
12 years 6 months ago #310714 by witheze
I'm more than happy with Farmside. Pricewise, Speed and Reception. :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #311993 by Kiwi303
Pricing for bigfrog

Install 168.69

Tadpole 3Gb:112.44
Leapfrog 1Gb: 106.xx
Leapfrog 3Gb: 151.xx
Bullfrog 1Gb: 13x.xx

X's where I missed some due to being deaf and on a phone... took several repeats to get this out of them as it is.

that 67.44 from the original post must be the tadpole 1Gb, which isn't enough for me on BBand, I used 3Gb when in Hamilton on Slingshot.

More
12 years 6 months ago #312025 by GrantK
Adding the Download/Upload speeds into your post to make it more complete:

Kiwi303;296701 wrote: Pricing for bigfrog

Install $168.69

Tadpole 1GB: $67.44 256k/64k
Tadpole 3Gb: $112.44 256k/64k
Leapfrog 1Gb: $106.xx 512k/128k
Leapfrog 3Gb: $151.xx 512k/128k
Bullfrog 1Gb: $13x.xx 1024k/256k

1GB isn't enough for me on BBand, I used 3Gb when in Hamilton on Slingshot.

Thanks for getting the prices Kiwi. The installer never replied to me.

I agree that 1GB isn't enough, especially if you use a VoIP phone service.

We have a 2GB plan here and get by OK with that, but 1GB would always be exceeded.

Also, I think the installer was being a bit misleading in mentioning $67.44 for their cheapest plan, which barely qualifies as broadband, in addition to having a puny cap.

The install price is quite reasonable though. From memory, others charge up to $2000 for satellite broadband installations. No doubt, there will be a reasonably long minimum term so they can recoup the installation cost.

• Jack
12 years 6 months ago #312125 by Jack
Gidday

Kiwi303;296701 wrote: Pricing for bigfrog

Install 168.69

Tadpole 3Gb:112.44
Leapfrog 1Gb: 106.xx
Leapfrog 3Gb: 151.xx
Bullfrog 1Gb: 13x.xx

X's where I missed some due to being deaf and on a phone... took several repeats to get this out of them as it is.

that 67.44 from the original post must be the tadpole 1Gb, which isn't enough for me on BBand, I used 3Gb when in Hamilton on Slingshot.

Hey mate, perhaps you should have stuck to .22's instead of 303's. Too much noise from them, too hard on the ears Eh!

More
12 years 6 months ago #312130 by Kiwi303

Jack;296843 wrote: Gidday

Hey mate, perhaps you should have stuck to .22's instead of 303's. Too much noise from them, too hard on the ears Eh!

your grandkids get their Meningitis Vacc shots? I reccommend all parents to get them done to their kids whenever the subject may come up. Being deaf ain't much fun :P

I had a bad case of Meningitis aged 4 and a half, lost 90+ % of my hearing, I only have 7% of one ears hearing capacity left due to damaged nerves between the ear and the brain. My cousins daughter also had meningitis as a young girl and wears hearing aids as well.Interesting coincidence, she came down with meningitis shortly after a visit to the same farm I visited shortly before I had my bout of meningitis.

It's been a bit of a mixed blessing over the years... never heard homework being assigned... very hard to hear reminders of chores needing doing...

:D

More
12 years 4 months ago #320310 by kcousins
Yes, Big Frog is one of the resellers of the Inzone Corp service, however you can get it directly from Inzone Corp. I've found that once you enquire about their broadband, they send you a list of monthly charges for data usage, but have a $150 installation fee within 40kms of the nearest installer. Not sure why they don't have it online but probably just for competition's sake.

• Jack
12 years 4 months ago #320353 by Jack
Gidday

Hey Kiwi mate. Sorry about that. Me and me bloody big mouth.

More
12 years 4 months ago #320375 by Cate
Following this with interest. Could you techno savvy folk advise?
I have moved onto our new house in Masterton. There is no cell phone coverage, it has a sky dish on the roof not yet connected inside.
Is there something or a company that will do broadband,mobile phone and sky tv?
Big ask huh!

Cate

More
12 years 4 months ago #320381 by GrantK

Cate;305963 wrote: Following this with interest. Could you techno savvy folk advise?
I have moved onto our new house in Masterton. There is no cell phone coverage, it has a sky dish on the roof not yet connected inside.
Is there something or a company that will do broadband,mobile phone and sky tv?
Big ask huh!

YES! Vodafone will take care of all 3 for you :)

What's more, they are offering a free MySky HDi recorder at present as part of a promotion:

www.vodafone.co.nz/sky-tv/mysky.jsp

Of course, you still won't get mobile phone coverage at your location, but they can kit you out with mobile phones to use elsewhere.

Hope that helps!

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds