Merino/Possum Garments Flies; Merino Garments Moths

More
12 years 6 months ago #21244 by Toast
My merino/possum jumper and cardigan have been fly-struck (eggs only, no hatching) numerous times when drying. I now place them on top of a towel on the drying rack & place a towel on top to prevent the flies getting on them.

Am preparing care instructions etc for my merino fabric garments & have just read this link Merino Properties

See three quarters of the way down the page the section called Natural & then read the bit about moths. It is quite amusing in some respects but from that should I deduce that I need to warn people to put moth balls in their drawers (no pun intended) with my merino garments? Probably should, moths are notorious for getting into wool.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #308900 by Kiwi303
You could hire a few schoolgirls to thrash the bushes around your house topless while quoting random latin phrases :D you'd probably have to get primary school girls in order to have them fit all the requirements tho... :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 6 months ago #308901 by Toast
Kiwi303 - I knew you would come up with some smart remark like that! The menfolk on the farm would probably love it too. They've been having their smoko breaks outside of late - right near the bushes!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
12 years 6 months ago #309103 by Ghilly
I'm assuming that they went in to thrash the moths without any upper garments on so the moths wouldn't zone in on the 'maidens' clothing and eat them naked.
Reminds me of the idiot I saw on TV who was out hunting deer and thought it would be funny to spray himself with whatever synthetic hormone they use for deer.... twas during the roar and he got far more than he bargained for.

Bit like if those women were wearing woolen garments when they were sent in to beat the moths maybe?

Yakut

More
12 years 6 months ago #309117 by gemini kiwi
Toast, I can sympathize, one of the fibres I work with in my art/craft life is fleece and yes moths are a nightmare. all our opening windows have fly mesh on them and I spray our wood before its bought into the house for the fires. I drew the curtains in the lounge the other night and saw a tiny moth, I went after that little sucker with a vengence and sprayed it, until my husband dryly said "I think you've got it.'
Friends stateside who are fibre artist some have parrots and they get these moths come out of their parrrots exotic foods, we all have nervous ticks where moths are concerned.
tess

More
12 years 6 months ago #309121 by DiDi
Good subject Toast. I would like to know how to handle woollen clothing in a walk in wardrobe if anyone can answer Toast's question. I have never seen a moth in the wardrobe but my woollen (and alpaca) jumpers and have. Darn! So annoying when you go to wear something and bingo - HOLES!

I actually hate the smell of mothballs so any alternative apart from spraying the wardrobe with a chemical?

More
12 years 6 months ago #309128 by Simkin
Lavender deters moths. Cut a few flower heads with a bit of stem, tie them together with a bit of string and hang them between the clothes. Seems to deter them but does not get rid of them once they've found the goodies.

More
12 years 6 months ago #309133 by Xartep
Bay leaves deter moths, and smell nice too...

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 1 month ago #425914 by possummerino
Simkin was right, lavender does deter moths. I tried it before on my possum merino clothing and it worked totally.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds