Computer help for dumbies please

More
12 years 6 months ago #21242 by cowmad
Hi Guys, when I go to put in a usb stick or CD my d thru to J exteral devices seem to be blocked,ie they have a red circle around them with a line through it. Seems to have happened after a service pack update. How can i get them working again, am assuming its just a setting but blowed if I can find it? Any help appreciated. Stoopid vista!! Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #308912 by Pumpkingirl
Please note, I'm only guessing!!!

I'm not sure if this will help or not CM, but I'm wondering if there is an issue with the drivers caused by the update.

THere is a good article on it here (scroll down about half way for the info that's helpful), and another one here .

Essentially, if you know what type of USB you have, you go to their website to update the drivers.

If you go to Vista's Help + Support option (in the start menu) I also found a really good diagnostic tool for your hardware that checks (and automatically fixes) any issues - I used it the other night on my mother's Vista after months of problems with her computer starting up and - touch wood! - it seems to have fixed the problems.

Note, this particular tool takes ages, so I left it running while she was at work.

More
12 years 6 months ago #308913 by cowmad
ta PG will try those options tonight. I bought a new camera and went to install the disk, but computer cant find or open it even though it says it is working correctly, grrr... im no good at these techy things at all.

More
12 years 6 months ago #308914 by Stu_R
should it not still find it as for example "external disk E when using windows explorer ?

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #308917 by kiwi_jon

cowmad;293263 wrote: Hi Guys, when I go to put in a usb stick or CD my d thru to J exteral devices seem to be blocked,ie they have a red circle around them with a line through it. Seems to have happened after a service pack update. How can i get them working again, am assuming its just a setting but blowed if I can find it? Any help appreciated. Stoopid vista!! Thanks

Are you getting a message like this on startup?

Program Compatibility Assistant

This Driver is blocked due to compatibility issues

Check online to see if solutions are available from the Microsoft website. If solutions are found, Windows will automatically display a website that lists steps you can take.

Driver: Sonic Solutions DLA
Publisher: Sonic Solutions

A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system. This driver will be disabled. Please contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows

More
12 years 6 months ago #308921 by Pumpkingirl

cowmad;293295 wrote: im no good at these techy things at all.

Me neither... I am quite good with Google though, and it hasn't (yet) let me down :D

More
12 years 6 months ago #309018 by Istrian
Maybe this link will help you. support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

More
12 years 6 months ago #309096 by cowmad
Well tried all of the above. When i googled "CD not working on vista " there was about a zillion replies so not going mad and not a lone case. microsoft support had a scan fix which went thru its routine but at the very end it came up with something like host not supported or some such thing, at that point i gave up.

No errors on start up and according to device manager the CD drive is healthy and working . But it aint:( Maybe it just needs a kick in the guts.

More
12 years 6 months ago #309098 by cowmad
Hey Istrian,

Last night i did the man with a spanner thing but it couldnt complete. So have just gone back in and read further down the page - oops pays to read everything first maybe:)
and will have a crack at following those tonight. I actually downloaded a registry thingy and that wouldnt open either saying host was wrong or something.

Will have a bash tonight after a wine tonight when am feeling a bit more mellow

Thanks for your suggestions everyone

More
12 years 6 months ago #309099 by Pumpkingirl
Cowmad, try this link - MS Support can fix it for you if a CD drive doesn't work after a Windows update. Click here then follow instructions (which seem fairly simple).

support.microsoft.com/kb/314060#fixit4me

May the force be with you!

More
12 years 6 months ago #309108 by jerry leadbetter

kiwi_jon;293299 wrote: Are you getting a message like this on startup?

Hey kiwijon - I get that exact message on start up - we just click cancel and haven't really worried about it. However, I'd love to not have to click cancel on it and just stop receiving it!

We managed to get someone to remove it once, but then (after an update I think) it came back - damnit!

Do you know how to get rid of it? I don't even think we use that driver!

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds