How much milk do you go through

More
12 years 7 months ago #20993 by charlotte1
Just out of interest. As a family of 4 2 adults and 2 small children we use about 4 litres per week. Some for baking, cheese sauce but mostly for breakfast and hot drinks. The children do drink it straight on occaision. Other people I know with similar sized families go through up to 10 litres p/week!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #306611 by The Kats Place
two adults and we use 2 ltr a day easily

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
12 years 7 months ago #306612 by jerry leadbetter
2 adults, 1 toddler and one baby (breastfed) and we would use about 10 litres a week I would say. Our toddler can go through 6 litres of full fat on his own with breakfasts and bottles.
As adults we don't use a huge amount and still can get through 4 litres a week.

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

More
12 years 7 months ago #306613 by Simkin
2 adults, 3 children (12, 16 and 19) and we use a couple of litres per month. It used to be more when the children were younger - maybe 2 litres per week.

Milk actually isn't that good for you if you are an adult. Yoghurt and cheese are a much better choice.

More
12 years 7 months ago #306614 by Xartep
2 adults and a 7yr old, 2-3 litres a week. We don't drink it, just have in coffee and on cereal occasionally (usually have yoghurt) and in cooking i.e. cheese & white sauces. I used to use so little that one of my friends would bring his own if coming to visit as mine was always off lol

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 7 months ago #306621 by terralee
2 adults ...2-3 litres a week depends how much I bake, how much cheese sauce we have and how many visitors[;)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 7 months ago #306622 by Organix
Two adults here and over half of the litre per week of organic milk we buy ends up in the cat's bowl. Don't like or drink the stuff myself.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 7 months ago #306623 by ronnie
2 adults here and we seem to go thru about 6 litres per week [:0] But I suspect the cats get a bit more than is good for them [}:)]

More
12 years 7 months ago #306624 by kate
2 adults and we get through about one litre a week....one cup of tea, one cup of coffee and a small cereal bowl daily :D

Web Goddess

More
12 years 7 months ago #306625 by sod
Replied by sod on topic How much milk do you go through
If 2 adults 4/5 litres aweek when 2 growed up kids here 8/10 none drink it on own but all from our cows :D if bought half that:(

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 7 months ago #306628 by reggit
Two adults, 6-8 L of light blue milk a week, used to drown porridge and weetbix every morning, general use for other things, and I also drink a fair bit by the glass - yum! [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 7 months ago #306630 by jen
Replied by jen on topic How much milk do you go through
2 adults here (at work full time). We occasionally buy a 1L container and struggle to use it all by its expiry date (is that 2 weeks usually?). We used to buy just a 300ml carton per week, but OH has decided the occasional half glass is nice with some biscuits hence the switch to a 1L sometimes. The unfortunate thing with the 300mls is if we get unexpected guests who want tea/coffee with anything more than a tiny splash of milk in it then we're in trouble!

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
12 years 7 months ago #306633 by The Kats Place
Should have mentioned that I could use a lot more with yogurt making, cheese making etc

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
12 years 7 months ago #306634 by Andrea1
We go through about 15-18L/day. :D :D :D But that's feeding 6 4-legged kids, making cheese and a milk-loving teenaged boy. Us 2-leggeds go through about 2L/day just drinking it, more if I'm baking and 10L at one go if I'm making cheese.

Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 7 months ago #306635 by max2
Crikey you lot are a worry.... we used to buy (excluding cheeses, butter and ice cream dairy allowances) for 2 adults and 1 growing 11 yo, 6 litres at shopping once a week, and then during the week top up with another 4 litres.

We love our cups of tea, and when SOH returns from night shift I get a hot chocolate in bed about 2.00am (because he cannot help but wake the rest of us up as he enters the house) and E might make herself a milo drink after school. I will tipple on milk after walks around the land and heavy working.

I don't think I go out of my way to cook with milk for the sake of using it when buying it, but now I have my own milk.....

we produce approx. 33 litres every morning, pure jersey milk. Yummo. I feed 8 calves of a morning, 2 litres each. There goes nearly 1 cow's production, and the rest is refrigerated. When I come home 5 calves get another 1.5 litres each. Later in the evening just before dark, they (5) get another 2 litres each approx..
As my calves grow (I have 13 now) I start to skim off the cream for butter making. I know we daily go through about 1.5 litres at the moment.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds