dogs old wound opened up..

More
12 years 7 months ago #20984 by chicken_itis
One of my partners hunting dogs (lovely boarder collie x girl) had her due claws removed a while age.. can't remember exactly but must be over 6mths ago.
Yesterday she was limping a bit after a hunt and her old 'scar' where one claw was removed had opened up! As far as we could see this was completely healed before now?
How can this have happened? I though it would not be (that) possible really:confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #306525 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic dogs old wound opened up..
abcess or infection in the base under the healed scar probably built up pressure and popped, breaking the surface along the weakened path of the old incision. just a wild guess, but have seen it before.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 7 months ago #306536 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic dogs old wound opened up..
I was going to suggest that she may have wacked it on "the weakened path of the old incision". Agree with Kiwi that infection or absess is also possible so make sure it is being well observed. You would not want a Staf infection getting into the bone.

If my original suggestion is right than maybe that tells you what may have happened to a dew claw if it were still there. It blew my socks off that my local Vet would not operate to remove my little dog's dew claws - until she was under anesthetic to be speyed. Good grief - one was hanging off! I did get it done by someone else and no problems there.

I also wonder at the idea about not removing large dogs' (Rottie in this instance) tails. I remember a friend's dog's happy tail knocking everything off the coffee table and then wacking a toddler full in the face. It was removed too!

More
12 years 7 months ago #306555 by chicken_itis
Shes going for a road trip to nelson to see the vet tomorrow so will see what s/he thinks of it. Jess (dog) will enjoy a trip to town!! :p :p :p
It is just over 6months, vet secretary was quite shocked it happened after this long too!

More
12 years 7 months ago #306558 by digby
Replied by digby on topic dogs old wound opened up..
hey learnt this trick .... if a dog keeps licking a wound then put vicks around it. They hate the smell and won't touch it.

Bye
Digby [:)]

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds