dive weight mold

More
12 years 7 months ago #20923 by skyline_glenn
Long shot but, does anybody have a dive weight mold they would like to sell or, if locally lend to me. Had a bc misshap and had to dump my weight belt and catch bag[:(!]. I have a bit of scrap lead but no molds. I was thinking of making a mold from some mdf but not sure if it will take the heat.

Cheers

Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #305897 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic dive weight mold
MDF? nooooo, not unless you want to have amusing little fires.

If you have a weight to use as a template, you could try refractory sand. make a tray full of the stuff, press the weight into it, then cast into the hollow.

Had a friend make one out of sheet steel (was for a pocket weightbelt, not the strap kind).

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
12 years 7 months ago #305898 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic dive weight mold
Melt down a few candles and use that to carve or otherwise shape a weight, next get a bucket of cement and set that with the wax shape in it. You can either prise free or melt out the wax and use the shape left in the cement as your lead mould.

What happened with your BCD? I've never had any problems with mine yet *touches wood* Did you drop the belt somewhere where you can resonably expect to find it with a borrowed belt on and bring it up with a float bag?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 7 months ago #305908 by skyline_glenn
Replied by skyline_glenn on topic dive weight mold
I like the wax idea kiwi.

I went for a scallop dive this afternoon. Think I may not have strapped the tank to BC tight enough, tank came out, carried on for 5 mins then I suddenly started rising quickly, slowed the ascent a little but was still too fast(only from 7-8m). Got to surface, bc wasn't inflated but checked and no weight belt, so started swimming back and tank was being a pain and making it difficult so decide to take BC off, what was there under BC but my weight belt. Full weight belt around waist with no boyancy device=quick descent so off went the weight belt and in the struggle down went the catch bag. It was fairly frightning, I havn't dived for a couple of years and my BC is probably a little too small now(they need to make them non shrinkble) and it ws a bit of a struggle to get it off especially with a 7mm 2 piece suit on.

So after that, Im still not sure why I ascended so quickly other than the fact the tank was floating above me.

We may go back next week so will have a look around, it is in Wellington harbor near easbourne so very soft sand, I think the tides may bury it or somebody over the weekend may find it.

Never mind, Im still alive and I'm worht more than $160 odd, well I thnk so anyway.

Glenn

More
12 years 7 months ago #305948 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic dive weight mold
... and we are always told.... when in distress ..... DROP YOUR WEIGHTBELT, least cost of all the gear ... and your life :D

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 7 months ago #305949 by wyseyes
Go and borrow one/rent one from the local dive shop, or swap your scrap lead for the premade weights.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
12 years 7 months ago #305951 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic dive weight mold

skyline_glenn;289913 wrote:
Never mind, Im still alive and I'm worht more than $160 odd, well I thnk so anyway.

:) see my sig line:D I agree :P

$160 is pretty pricey, I bought a 6 pocket belt and 12x Kg weights for $25 used... just ask around hire clubs and SCUBA schools and they're usually pretty cheap when replacing older equipment.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 7 months ago #305987 by jerry leadbetter
Replied by jerry leadbetter on topic dive weight mold
Do you dive with others? I dive and have somehow acquired heaps of excess lead, as has every other diver I know. I'm always happy to giv ethe odd kg or two to people - you'll probably find the same in your group.

I've no idea how we acquire the extra lead - it seems to breed!

by the way - from your account of the incident - it sounds like you may have been underweighted from the outset. You would have been ok to get down at the start of the dive, but as you chugged through your gas the tank would have become less and less negatively buoyant and that could explain your starting to ascend with an empty bc and still having the belt on. You may need an extra kg or 2 on your belt in future - especially if you have, umm, how to put this...chubbed up a bit since your previous dives!

At least you weren't committing the cardinal sin of most divers of clipping your catch bag to a d-ring or stubbornly refusing to drop a heavy bag of Kai! Many deaths due to that...

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

More
12 years 7 months ago #305988 by BillyTheTractor
Replied by BillyTheTractor on topic dive weight mold
ever thought about lead shot? I wear a shot belt and it's way more comfortable. Just recently got an integrated BCD so have a spare shot belt ( no shot!) if that's any good to you?

Wee Farm

More
12 years 7 months ago #305992 by Castle Peak
Replied by Castle Peak on topic dive weight mold
I used to wear a shot belt too, found it more comfy than weights as it kind of moulded round me.

Good to hear you are ok, sounds pretty hairy.[:0]

More
12 years 7 months ago #305994 by jerry leadbetter
Replied by jerry leadbetter on topic dive weight mold
having some non-dumpable weight at strategic points (ie on the tank bands or higher up your body) can help with both weight belt comfort and trim, which as a by-product will extend your range by less air consumption, less drag, effort etc.

Also, some of the guys I dive with use the freediving weight belts where you thread the weight onto a rubber belt which naturally contracts as you go deeper and compress.

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

More
12 years 7 months ago #306009 by skyline_glenn
Yes, very frightning. I can see how people die in the water now.

I was talking to one of our suppliers who is a dive master aand he said that the loose tank floating above me could have dragged me up, but I hve also probably put on about 8kg since I last dived so maybe the 14kg of weight isn't enough anymore. He is going to come out for a dive and give me a bit of a refresher as I'm little rusty and dive unfit.
I got a pocket weight belt and catch bg for $90 delivered from TM which is alot cheaper than the shops. I mnaged to get a part bag of morter from a site today so I am going to attempt a mold tonite.
Lead weight is about $5-$10 per kg so making my own will save me a fair bit. Gone aare the days of getting a bargin as everything goes on TM now. I only paid $40 for my belt I lost with all the lead in it, it was cheaper than buying just the belt new(pocket belt).

Cheers

Glenn

More
12 years 6 months ago #307184 by skyline_glenn
Have had a good productive weekend, mde the weights yesterday while it was blowing and raining. The mold only lasted 1 cast then cracked after I poured the lead in and while tapping it to get the weights out it broke into 3 pieces. It ended up alright though because it made it easy to get them out, and because I made the mold in an icecream container I was able to just put it together in the container and pour. They were getting a bit rough at the end as the cracks were wearing but they're not seen and a file and chisel cleaned all the rough bits off. I now have 20kg worth of weights.
Boy does the garage stink, glade I had my respirator mask.

Glenn

More
12 years 6 months ago #307257 by wyseyes
Way back when I was getting a puncture fixed, I asked the tyre dude about the lead weights they pull off tyres they fix. He pointed to a metal bucket behind the balancing machine. I gave him $20 and he poured half of it into the boot. The suspension sagged a bit.
I borrowed a mold, and spent a couple of days melting, sifting out the steel clips, and pouring new lead weights, fishing sinkers, and the with the excess, gems. (Every now and again, at garage sales I spot a gem-iron. It is a cast iron tray with 12 halfround impressions, I think they were used for baking/cooking?).
Still have them, ready to be melted for some new project.
I think I got about 45Kg in lead, and at $5 per Kg dive weights, I think I got my $20 worth.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds