kidney stones....youch!!!

More
14 years 3 months ago #20845 by kathken
hi guys.

anyone on here had kidney stones.

i have just been 2 days in hospital. most of that was waiting waiting waiting. it started while i was driving home from work on wednesday...wham - excrutiating pain in my back. subsided after about 4 hours...thought it was a pinced nerve - had an after hours doctor come but by the time he got there the pain had stopped.
then on thursday afternoon....the pain started again and i ended up in hospital.

had a CT scan which showed i have a 9mm stone on left kidney which has moved down but not out yet. and a 4mm stone on the right kidney still in the kidney.

so i'm waiting to pass the blinked 9mm. so i'm a bit anxious with the wait.

what's anyone elses experiences?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #305119 by jeannielea
You have my sympathies KK as I had that problem years ago. I think its when the stones move that you get that excruciating pain so lets hope you pass it soon. I thought they often blasted them with lithotripsy but maybe that's if you can't pass them. My experience was different as I was 11 weeks pregnant and living in Indonesia at the time. Not an experience I would recommend!! And I reckon the pain is equal to childbirth as well! Good luck and keep drinking heaps!

More
14 years 3 months ago #305121 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic kidney stones....youch!!!
Stephan did, years ago, would probably have been then in his late thirties, says he was working out on the tractor somewhere and had excruciating pain which caused him to black out. The pain went on for ages, seemed like hours, but when it stopped that was it and he thinks that was when it had passed from the kidney to his bladder. Over the weekend they kept him in hospital until they could x-ray, starving him, but then they forgot about him on the Monday and didn't do it until the Tuesday. They strained his urine looking for chips of stone and fortunately the stone/s broke up before they came right out.

When he dressed to leave hospital he says his trousers fell off because he'd lost so much weight from starving for four days.

The advice from the medical staff was to drink more water, not more beer! He has always been inclined to grab a cup of tea and head out to work for hours at a time. He's a machine! But when his radiator is running low, his system goes awry.

More
14 years 3 months ago #305123 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic kidney stones....youch!!!
jennielea, yes i have heard the pain is comparable to childbirth. i haven't had children, but i think i might know now what that could be like hehe.
never been in so much pain in all my life.
if this stone doesnt pass in 2 weeks - i have to go and have it surgically removed so they tell me.

isla, i'm a bit guilty of not drinking enough fluids especially at this time of year....i'm pretty good in the summer time though.
like stephan, i often have a cup of tea in the morning and another one at work, and that's it all day. naughty coz tea is a dieuretic.

anyways, i'm waiting to give birth to a 9mm moon rock!! :D :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 3 months ago #305126 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic kidney stones....youch!!!
My sympathies!!! Had them years ago, too large to pass, plus took them ages to diagnose as I didn't present 'normally'. I had to have a bladder stent put in, and then lithotripsy (sp???) using sound waves to pulverise the stones so they would pass. All just on the left side, but I would have to say it was MORE painful than childbirth in that it lasted for so long with little relief.

Is lithotripsy an option or would you have to have a more invasive surgery? Nice thing about the sound waves - no cutting!!!

Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 3 months ago #305127 by Isla

Andrea;289055 wrote: ...Nice thing about the sound waves - no cutting!!!

Depends who's singing! [}:)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #305137 by kathken
andrea, they didnt mention the blasting thing, although i have heard of that. they said they would knock me out, put a laproscope up with pincers and grab it and pull it out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 3 months ago #305139 by Isla
Ok, could you stop now? [:0][B)] Suffer in silence, please!!! :D

More
14 years 3 months ago #305156 by kathken
awwww...too much information is it[^]

but i don't want to suffer in silence..... :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 3 months ago #305182 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic kidney stones....youch!!!
Tell them to P*** off with the invasion.
Go for the blasting. If they don't do it get them to send you where they do.
Too many really bad infections with them doing a fishing trip.
Totally unnecessary these days.

My OH had a hell of a time with their fishing trip---they didn't get it--they said too large to pass--- he passed it 5 months later.

Second time round (you keep getting them if predisposed) they blasted.
Walk in the park.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
14 years 3 months ago #305185 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic kidney stones....youch!!!
I ended up with a bladder infection of bladder infections anyway because of the stent. I have bladder problems to this day as well.

I was told that once you have formed a stone, you have a 50% chance of forming stones in the future. It might help if you know what kind of stone it is (mine were calcium oxylate), and avoid too much of the foods that cause it. I try not to eat any of the high-oxylate veggies too much (I used to pig out on raw spinach salads ages ago), and so far, so good, no more stones...

Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 3 months ago #305189 by Dream Weaver
My Daughters partner had them earlier this year. He was in agony and ended up going to Hospitol in an ambulance, spent 6 hours in A&E then sent home. they gzave him pain relief and voltaran.
Drink some cramberry it may help. Best of luck

More
14 years 3 months ago #305206 by kathken
thanks guys.
hopefully it will pass on its own very soon.
i've been drinking lots of cranberry juice today plus loads of water.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 3 months ago #305218 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic kidney stones....youch!!!
The advise given to us was to drink as much low alc beer as you can hold.
Your body will tolerate far more beer than water & will really make the kidneys work.

Worked for us as Hubby had no wish to go back for another bout of infection.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
14 years 3 months ago #305225 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic kidney stones....youch!!!
Not something I have had nor do I know much about them. However, I pick pig food up from a young woman of 26 with 3 children who has been crippled with them for some time. She looked dreadful and was in a lot of pain. Two weeks ago she had them "blasted" and she's a whole new person and she said the relief was instantaneous. She certainly looked 100% better.

She also said that the doctor suggested that water might be better for her than beer:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds