chemical burns and workplace soap

More
14 years 7 months ago #304857 by beedee
You need to allow the skin to heal properly.. every time you re aggravate you are adding months to the problem. IF wearing a bit of gold around a finger means you will stay at home. then heaven help your relationship.. but still
I will only answer the skin problem.
3M put out a good barrier, skin moisturiser called cavilon which needs to be applied when the skin is clean/dry and free of chemical... you say burn but its a blistering dermatitis.. the rings need washing as they probably have a lot of the chemicals on their surface so give a good scrub with an old toothbrush. the rash wont show up directly under the metal cos of the pressure of the ring means reduced blood supply and reaction.
cavilon needs re applying every 3rd day.
If that doesnt prevent sufficiently then you may need some steroids to apply to reduce the reaction going on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #304865 by Kiwi303
hmm, still on the Lacquer theame, you can get pierced design rings encased in lacqer, ending with a smooth solid surface with the ring design wholly encased in a clear crystal resin that is actually harder than 12 carat gold. I'd have to dig around to find where it was that was offering it. but it sounds a good idea to me, trying to clean a latticework ring would be a pain.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 7 months ago #304877 by moggy

beedee;288747 wrote: you say burn but its a blistering dermatitis.. the rings need washing as they probably have a lot of the chemicals on their surface so give a good scrub with an old toothbrush. the rash wont show up directly under the metal cos of the pressure of the ring means reduced blood supply and reaction..

listening to what you say, I know you have great exerience in this area, but yes it is a burn, no, there is no blistering. The skin goes bright red, becomes very painful then eventually peels off. It is at same degree of severe sunburn. I agree. I need to wash the ring more often as it is obviously the cause. At the moment it is on a chain round my neck.
If it was only hubbie wanting me to wear it, I would say stuff it, but it means a lot to me (you would have to know my history and how we met etc to understand). I want to wear it, but I don't want what has become an allergy/probem/hypersensitivity beacuase of wearing it. Hubbie only had a problem with me not wearing it, when he didn't understand the cause, it wasn't as if he was forcing me to wear it. Once he realised it was a definite problem, he was OK with it.

More
14 years 7 months ago #304900 by Lifta
You have my sympathy. Last year the skin under my wedding ring blistered after some soap got trapped, now despite a good cleaning if I put my ring back on it begins to itch and blister within a few hours. I haven't put my ring on a chain as it was my great-grandmothers and I would hate to have the chain break and lose it. So I just don't wear a ring, I have thought about getting a band tatooed on, but knowing my luck I'll react to the ink-lol.
All I can suggest is that you try leaving the ring off for a month or two and then as others have suggested start wearing it again for short periods to begin with...
Goodluck :)

• Jack
14 years 7 months ago #304982 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic chemical burns and workplace soap
Gidday

Don't use that bloody chemical poison, use sunlight soap.

It's safe.

More
14 years 7 months ago #304990 by DiDi
moggy - please don't take this the wrong way but I keep getting a little voice in my head that is asking "Are you rinsing your hands properly and are you drying them properly?" The Health recommendation is to wash and rinse as long as it takes to sing Happy Birthday - which is a damn long time for a short cutter like me who is more inclined to wipe my hands on my pants than use those dryers. BUT - in your situation, could you not remove your ring and/or rinse your hands for longer and your ring for longer still and dry both under the dryer thingie before you put them back on your finger? Assuming of course that work has a dryer thingie. Just a thought again and in no way meant to question your hygiene habits!

More
14 years 7 months ago #305021 by Simkin

Jack;288888 wrote: Gidday

Don't use that bloody chemical poison, use sunlight soap.

It's safe.

Yep, Jack, that's what I'm asking myself, too. This would be my second option after stopping to wear the ring (I went for the first option).

Once you have a sentitive reaction to something it will get worse in time and the best thing is to remove the cause - either way, ring or poison soap.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds