More technostuff - skype

More
14 years 3 months ago #20802 by reggit
In three days, a Pacific forum I have been organising for a consortium of most of the Pacific Island nations kicks off.

Unfortunately our Fijian colleagues can't make it as their visas/passports are locked inside the NZ High Commission in Suva, as their doors closed after the general kicked out NZ's High Commissioner! Great timing...:( but also partly their own fault for leaving it so darned late to organise visas and travel their end [:(!].

We are looking at options for them to be able to 'participate' in key sessions, at least by voice, and my offsider has suggested skype. Neither her nor I are what could be termed technically knowledgable so...

How does skype work? Can you download the necessary software from the internet? How much does it cost?

Help! (again!) :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #304634 by diggs
Replied by diggs on topic More technostuff - skype
Off the internet,just enter skype, it is free, not to sure of the workings.

Kapiti

More
14 years 3 months ago #304638 by Pumpkingirl
From my limited understanding of Skype ( Wiki explains the basics) I'm wondering if you may have a problem with the technical side of things in Fiji.

Then again, I know of a former colleague who is now in Iraq and he skypes from there.. you'd think Fiji would be easier! :D

More
14 years 3 months ago #304644 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic More technostuff - skype
Okay, so reading that...all you need is a good internet connection each end, and the software downloaded onto the computer each end...?

PS I get the impression NOTHING is easier in Fiji at the moment...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 3 months ago #304646 by Birman Babe
I use SKYPE for all my cat club meetings; and its great.
I have a webcam as well & am not sure if you need that webcam to ensure the microphone works...someone else may be able to answer that one.
I never use the webcam for video use to the other parties cos I'm usually sitting in my PJ's..lol
Yes, download SKYPE from internet FREE and they have lots add ons, free calls, etc.

More
14 years 3 months ago #304648 by reggit
BB, you use this via wireless connection?

More
14 years 3 months ago #304651 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic More technostuff - skype
Most laptops now have a webcam as an option, if not original equipment. You don't need a webcam for voice calls. Video calls can only be done one on one as far as I know but voice calls can be full conferences. Skype also has a call to landline option which is about the same cost as toll card rates (4-5c/minute international) - check on rates! Slow broadband struggles with video calls and 'freezes' or drops out - revert to voice only if necessary. Upload speed of 256 MB is about the minimum required for good video calling.

We've done a walk through of my siblings' homes in Perth, London and Auckland by way of Skype + laptop cam + wireless. Almost like being there :D

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 3 months ago #304653 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic More technostuff - skype
Yep, all you will need is the Skype program, some sort of microphone and speakers for the computer (or a multimedia headset which has the same), and a good internet connection.
I know people talking to relatives in Poland, via the old 56k dialup connection.

If you want to have a seamless fluant talky, then a good ADSL connection (at least 256K connection or better) is required. These days that is the minimum for ADSL anyway.

Adding a webcam is fine, although you will need to be aware of your backdrop and clothing etc.
It doesn't matter how the internet is connected, (ie phoneline, satelite, wireless network, 3G etc) as long as the speed is good. At both ends.

Then once all that is sorted out, a quick signup with skype (add yourself to the namelist so others can find you), hopefully request a conversation with the other person, and start nattering.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 3 months ago #304659 by reggit
Ta wyseyes

So is there a built in microphone in most laptops...? Or is this something that needs to be plugged in?

More
14 years 3 months ago #304661 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic More technostuff - skype
Laptop webcam will be a little lens at top centre above monitor screen, if fitted. If not a USB powered one will work fine and shouldn't cost more than $50 - try Trade Me.

Edit: Microphone probably only fitted if webcam is also there.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 3 months ago #304680 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic More technostuff - skype
I'm not sure if your laptop has it, that depends on what you ordered. Tell me what your servicel number is, and I'll look it up.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 3 months ago #304681 by reggit
Thanks wyseyes, but it won't be my laptop but my colleagues in ChCh - have asked her to check...

More
14 years 3 months ago #304752 by reggit
Well, saints be praised, there sometimes are miracles [:0]

Just heard a short time ago that the visas for our colleagues are being processed 'with urgency' and they should get their passports back in time. I like to think that the barrage of emails, faxes and phone calls we orchestrated from several agencies here as well as in Fiji, with a desperately pleading, nearly manic tone (that was from me!), targeting NZ Immigration here and Suva, had an effect, but who knows.

So won't need skype this time around BUT very useful info for future, so thank you very much everyone :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #304761 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic More technostuff - skype
I use skype,,works same as phone.
BUT with video.
I do not have any grunty broad band and it still works.
web cam in lap top is percet, microphone in lap top is less perfect and I use a normal usb phone that I plugged in.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds