calling out for a handy man, (or woman)

More
12 years 9 months ago #304272 by devan
Hestia you can paint over any wallpaper, just undercoat it 1st. Its a good idea to give it a wash with sugar soap too but i have painted straight over wallpaper before and its fine. Don't panic if the wallpaper bubbles when you paint it, its just a reaction to the water in the paint and 9 times out of 10 it will dry out ok.
Anything else you need to know? Just ask :D

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #304295 by Birman Babe
I know a lady not too far from you who will paint/paper for a reasonable price.
Shes not a tradesperson but does it for others (for remuneration) and seems to get plenty of work. I can give you her ph. number if you want ....

More
12 years 9 months ago #304341 by Hestia

devan;288066 wrote: Hestia you can paint over any wallpaper, just undercoat it 1st. Its a good idea to give it a wash with sugar soap too but i have painted straight over wallpaper before and its fine. Don't panic if the wallpaper bubbles when you paint it, its just a reaction to the water in the paint and 9 times out of 10 it will dry out ok.
Anything else you need to know? Just ask :D

There isn't even any wallpaper,,,,,,it is THAT bad,,,,
wallpaper that don't meet,,wallpaper that ,,oooh it is not describable,,,trust me,,I have never lived like this in my entire life!

More
12 years 9 months ago #304342 by Hestia

Birman Babe;288096 wrote: I know a lady not too far from you who will paint/paper for a reasonable price.
Shes not a tradesperson but does it for others (for remuneration) and seems to get plenty of work. I can give you her ph. number if you want ....

number yes please! :)

she can at least come and see if it is something she can do or to much for her,,,you can skype chat the number to me,,or mail it to my work,,or whatever :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #304450 by PepperGiz
I've studied interior design so can help with advice on colours, wallpapers etc, but I'm a bit far from you......but if you wanted to post some photos of the areas that you are concerned about, I could comment on them???

Didi has some good points, but I agree, people want to see clean and uncluttered houses when viewing for sale. A coat of paint can do wonders to freshen up a room for sale - just stick to neutral colours and nothing too dramatic and you'll be right. Freshing up a room can be as simple as adding a vase of flowers, a bowl of fruit, a new bedspread, so it doesn't haven't to be expensive if your on a tight budget. Pack away all you clutter into boxes and hide it away somewhere while you're selling. Mow the lawns, weed the garden....just try to keep everything clean and tidy :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #304526 by devan
hmmmm ok that complicates matters a bit then. You can strip off what wallpaper is there including the backing paper with hot soapy water and a scraper but once you do that then you tend to notice how bad the gib is. You will then need to plaster and poss skim coat the walls before painting. Paint shows every blemish basically so the walls need to be a perfect as possible. Your other option would be to take off what old paper is there and re wallpaper. At 1st glance wallpaper seems like an expensive option but often it isn't once you take in the cost of plastering, sanding, undercoating, and at least 2 top coats of paint. It depends how rough the walls are really and how far you want to go. If the walls aren't too bad you could just slap a couple of coats of paint on just for the sake of making it look better, whoever looks at it will realise that it needs re doing but will prob think "oh well i can put up with this for now". Dont forget that the minute you put paint on the walls that the skirtings, windows and doors are gonna look REALLY shabby and then you will need to sand them back and undercoat/topcoat them too! Oh and don't forget about the ceilings [:0] Its quite a big job really. When i was painting for a guy he used to price it out on about $600 a room (excluding stripping the paper and plastering). Thats prob a bit conservative now days. I do know a painter who is reasonably priced and can plaster and will strip the wallpaper. Are you in hamilton? He will travel to there. I cam pm you his number if you like

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
12 years 9 months ago #304556 by Hestia
If I would do it myself,,,,The amount of plastering makes me think that the money and the efforts and the material that I would spend and also that it would not be done professional would make it look bad and also just throwing away time and money and work,,I think that it is too much or a work for me to kind of cheat and try to do something,,
I have a person BB sent me to coming to look tomorow,,if it is something that can be done by this person,,we will see,,
otherwise I would like to see you all here,,bbq and helpful hints and some social talk!

More
12 years 9 months ago #304658 by devan
It really is a bit of a bigger job than most people think. Hestia what area are you in? I am completely out for november but could manage some time in dec esp after xmas when i'm on leave (tho i should be painting my own house [;)])
Many hands make light work mate

More
12 years 9 months ago #304746 by Hestia
BB gave me a name and a number,,,
Renovation starts on monday morning!

More
12 years 8 months ago #305474 by devan
Yay glad to hear its sorted :D Must be a load off your mind

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds