Formatting a memory card

More
14 years 8 months ago #20655 by charlotte1
I brought a new memory card for the camera and went to use it this morning at my sons school athletics day and it says the card needs to be formatted. Tried to do it on the camera by following what it said but then it would take me back to the beginning again. What do I need to do?

Just as well there was enough room on the internal memory for some pics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #303139 by charlotte1
Replied by charlotte1 on topic Formatting a memory card
Oh and by the way I am quite technically challenged too no "difficult words/phrases etc" Plain ole English is good.

More
14 years 8 months ago #303142 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Formatting a memory card
While it is possible to format the card in a PC card-reader it is best to format it in the camera. If the camera offers instructions on its screen please try again and follow them carefully. Perhaps a small child nearby has the mad skillz needed to tame technology. Failing that, there may be a fuller explanation in the camera's manual. Failing *that* please post the make and model of the camera here so we can Google it for you and try and get some top tips.

A

More
14 years 8 months ago #303149 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Formatting a memory card
Yes, do it in the camera. Also note that some memory cards have little switches on them that allow the card to be read-only. This may be stopping it getting formatted.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 8 months ago #303162 by charlotte1
The instructions on the camera were real basic ie
Format memory card
Continue
Cancel

It was saying that it was reading card but then the Continue/Cancel option came up again. I will have another look when the kids are in bed as mr5 likes to help but it is well out of his league. Will also look in instruction book too.

More
14 years 8 months ago #303176 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Formatting a memory card
Ok. My suspicion is that when the instructions appear the "Cancel" option is highlighted. This is so that an accidental button press will not actually format the card. I expect that you need to press another button (maybe a left/right button) to move the highlight from "Cancel" to "Continue" and *then* press the "OK" (or "Go" or "Select" or whatever).

Without knowing the model of camera I can't say *which* button to press, but you should be able to fiddle with it now, knowing that there is an intermediate step.

I suggest you copy the pictures from your internal memory to your PC *before* you play with the formatting function. You don't want to accidentally format the internal memory and lose those photographs while you are fiddling.

A

More
14 years 8 months ago #305414 by charlotte1
I have been trying again to do this. I have looked in the manual and there is very little about it. I have tried the old google thing and cannot seem to find what to do.

I have found that there is a little slidey thing on the side of the card but I slid it and then the camera says that the switch needs moving or something to that effect.

I have tried plugging the camera into the computer via the USB cable but that does nothing.

This is driving me up the wall!!!

Camera is a Kodak EasyShare C663 and the memory card is LEXAR 4GB SD.

More
14 years 8 months ago #305420 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Formatting a memory card
Either take it into a Kodak shop, where they would probably know or have knowledge of just what you want...

Or bring it to me, I'll have a go.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 8 months ago #305425 by charlotte1
I will be going into town on Thursday. I want however to take pics of my wee chicks, they have really grown in the week that I have had them.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds