Contours Women's Gyms - anyone used these?

More
12 years 8 months ago #20640 by reggit
12 months of sedentary work, far too many coffees, lots of stressful happenings, medical issues that leave me very tired mentally and physically, and lots of travelling away (with the restaurant meals that involves) has left me 10kg over what I should be and hideously unfit :( all attempts at extra exercise off my own bat get pushed to the side when other things come up, so I need to get back into some structured stuff.

Am seriously considering joining a gym, but after past experiences way back when, am also seriously considering a women's gym.

Has anyone tried Contours? If so, how did you find them?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #302983 by hilldweller
No but I'm definitely in a gym-junkie phase at present - talk to you on Tues :)

hilldweller

More
12 years 8 months ago #302986 by reggit
Okay we can convince each other its a really good idea [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 8 months ago #302991 by Kiwi303
I just saw contours in the headline so jumped in as a mere male in a womans gym thread. wasn't Contours the gym that was on Fair Go for treating a Wellingtonian rather shabbily? I'd advise go in as a day member on a pay-per-visit basis and see how you like it before rolling up to the desk for a years membership off the bat. Come to that, thats a good idea at ANY gym.

The Uni of Waikato gym is good :D they do accept non-student members IIRC, or did when I was there, but at a higher rate than the student rates for UoW students. Should also be fairly closeish your side of town.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 8 months ago #302993 by reggit

Kiwi303;286645 wrote: The Uni of Waikato gym is good :D they do accept non-student members IIRC, or did when I was there, but at a higher rate than the student rates for UoW students. Should also be fairly closeish your side of town.

Yeah been there done that, don't really feel like being surrounded by 18-25 year olds (with the occassional mature student and lecturer thrown in) thanks :eek:

More
12 years 8 months ago #302995 by max2
come over and spend a month or so at the swaggie farm for belly bulgers and high rise hips, I just got back into my size 10 jeans yesterday for the first time in YONKS.

and I drink full cream everything (with extra sour cream on everything) have my wine, have my meat fat, have my chocolate, in fact there is nothing I don't eat because it might contain a tad of fat, even deep fried chicken during the week because work gives me that tastebud (not sure why but there you go). And I am still toning up and thinning out again.....

And no, I don't come from a thin family. Mum is a size 20 -22 at 6 foot tall, Nan was almost round all over being short, and all of my uncles on my maternal side battle with the bulge..... time will tell I guess but this rural move and lifestyle has me worked right out, without the fees.

More
12 years 8 months ago #303005 by reggit
I have always been able to manage without gyms for weight, but this has just hit in the last year...:(

More
12 years 8 months ago #303014 by max2
Take the time to chill, and then worry about it. sometimes it ain't worth the short term stress and its the least of the worries and concerns....

but it will happen.[^]

More
12 years 8 months ago #303021 by feedqueen
Do you haver a Curves franchise near you, I found them excellent ....

More
12 years 8 months ago #303053 by Simkin
A friend of mine goes to Contours. Can't say that she's been successful:rolleyes:

She loves the swimming pool and she likes the fact that there are a lot of women her age.

More
12 years 8 months ago #303061 by PepperGiz
My mum goes to Curves and she really likes it. It's the longest she's stuck with a gym and she likes that it only takes half an hour to get around the equipment.

More
12 years 7 months ago #303212 by sundaysbest
I hate Curves, really not for me - but in saying that I like to fly solo when work out - not work out in a "team" circle and I found the music naff.

But anyhoo - yes, went to Contours (in Ponsnobby) for a couple of years when I was city slickin' it and found it excellent. Thing is - you actually HAVE to go for it to work. But found them no worse and no better than any other gym, womens or men/womens.

Personally at my local gym (which I am not going too oops), I worked out in the womens section as there were WAAAY too many "grunters" for my like in the normal gym part... no matter what time or what day. EEK!

Goodluck if you decide to go. I found the gym took away from my animal time, so I kicked it to the curb. Am much happier walking the dogs and riding etc... and try to do some form of weights at home in a half hour of tele.

Sundays :)

More
12 years 7 months ago #303214 by reggit

PepperGiz;286720 wrote: she likes that it only takes half an hour to get around the equipment.

Um....is that good? :rolleyes: as far as a long enough workout, I mean...

More
12 years 6 months ago #308008 by reggit
Hokay, finally managed to get in to have a look at the joint and talk through it with the staff. What a difference to the gyms I've been to in the past! :D

Nice facilities, air con, good parking, showers cleaned three times a day, stuff all people in there between 10am to 3pm (which is when I would be going) and max class size of 12 people. Four personal trainer sessions per year included, and a welcome pack of freebies to try them out (there are a couple of classes you have to pay for, others are included). The women who were there when I looked through were a mix of shapes, sizes and ages, and not a skerrick of 'special gym makeup' to be seen [}:)]

Works out cheaper per week than my husband's gym too [;)]

Booked in for assessment and programme next Weds.

More
12 years 6 months ago #308010 by The Kats Place
which one did you go to? town or Rotatuna?
I had a look at the town one and wasn't too impressed there. Mind you the lady that showed me round was twice my size and thats too confidence inspiring

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds