Building costs

More
12 years 8 months ago #20622 by cantyguy
Building costs was created by cantyguy
:confused: I must be a bit nieve(sp) I've had a set of plans drawn up for a proposed new home with the draughtperson/building company (not the builder) supplying me with very detailed plans for the cornerstone building system I wish to use. I was told they would be council ready and now find that as well as comming in over budget I have to front up with another $4500 to have an engineer draw portions of them up.

I'm really annoyed that this wasn't pointed out to me at the start.

Is this normal practice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #302794 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Building costs
If they told you they would be council ready and you paid for that, go back and tell them to sort it out [;)]

What do you mean by coming over budget? Have they proposed a place that is more than you wanted to spend? Or they have charged you more for these plans than they quoted?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 8 months ago #302824 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Building costs
We've had to engage an engineer, too, because the plans had something that was a bit unusual and was specified by us but our plans were drawn just for us - we did not use a building system or partially finished plans.

I think 4.5k is a lot - is your house going to be suspended over a canyon or gorge? Or integrated into a vertical cliff face?

More
12 years 8 months ago #302827 by celt
Replied by celt on topic Building costs
Sounds like they moved the goal posts on you. You need to be very clear in your mind what they said exactly was included in the price quoted. Did you get a written quote what does that say? If however you were the one to make changes after agreeing scope of work for price then that is a different story and I cannot see you having any comeback.

We did a large renovation only thing not changed was kids bedrooms and a architectural designer charged us $3000 for drawing up plans, submitting them to get both resource consent and building consent. I thought that was a good price for the amount of work involved.

Very, very important when entering into a contract for works to be done that both parties are clear what is included and not included if it is a fixed price and what happens if scope changes. Also everything should always be in writing, verbal agreement means squat nowadays.

Hope you get it sorted out.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

More
12 years 8 months ago #302832 by Azza
Replied by Azza on topic Building costs

cantyguy;286417 wrote: :confused: I must be a bit nieve(sp) I've had a set of plans drawn up for a proposed new home with the draughtperson/building company (not the builder) supplying me with very detailed plans for the cornerstone building system I wish to use. I was told they would be council ready and now find that as well as comming in over budget I have to front up with another $4500 to have an engineer draw portions of them up.

I'm really annoyed that this wasn't pointed out to me at the start.

Is this normal practice?

The council may have told the architect he needed engineering plans for consent. They do this from time to time, at their whim and this will indeed be an extra. I am in the building industry and find people often underestimate the costs to build (architects have no clue so don't go on information from them).
If you budget $2500-3000 per square metre you wont go to far wrong.

There are always hidden costs.

More
12 years 8 months ago #302853 by cantyguy
Replied by cantyguy on topic Building costs

Azza;286470 wrote: The council may have told the architect he needed engineering plans for consent. They do this from time to time, at their whim and this will indeed be an extra. I am in the building industry and find people often underestimate the costs to build (architects have no clue so don't go on information from them).
If you budget $2500-3000 per square metre you wont go to far wrong.

There are always hidden costs.

WHAT!! You have to be kidding I'm not building a palace. Here In Canterbury Full contract building costs range from $1100 for a nice standard plan home to no more than $2000 for a well specified 'one off' home.

Glad I'm not building in your region.

Here is an extract from message I've sent to the building company.

I have just recieved the engineers quote of $4500.

I didn't realise there would be these 'hidden' costs and have to say I'm am dissapointed this wasn't pointed out to me earlier on.

You did tell me that for your fee the plans would be ready for the council. Clearly this is not the case. I accept that the extras such as the feature wall and retaining walls couldn't be foreseen but from correspondance from the engineer it seems that much of the 'normal' components of the house also need to engineered prior to submitting to council.
ie beam supporting floor joists, foundations, balcony beams, lintels and colmns etc.

Whilst I'm still going ahead and pricing everything I would have appreciated you being 'up front' to start with as your estimate for the plans is no where near what the finished cost is going to be.

This is the third house I have built and never struck this situation before.

More
12 years 8 months ago #302855 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Building costs
We have bumped into this situation a handful of times here over our last year - either the GST has been left off the quoted price, or the eventual invoiced price has far exceeded the quoted one, and suppliers have still expected full payment whilst acknowledging ''what they said, but..."" at the initial engagement of their services.

i hate being put in this position as it doesn't sit well with us to then have to negotiate something we have engaged to purchase, have had use of, and then woe betide the inflated invoice turns up without explanation as to why something has shot up in price from what we approved.

somehow they make you feel like a prize twit and as if YOU are ripping THEM off by pointing out the failings of their invoice and quoted price.

the lesson normally learned is to get everything in writing before proceeding, but you are probably like us and like to take others on their word.

More
12 years 8 months ago #302889 by Azza
Replied by Azza on topic Building costs

cantyguy;286492 wrote: WHAT!! You have to be kidding I'm not building a palace. Here In Canterbury Full contract building costs range from $1100 for a nice standard plan home to no more than $2000 for a well specified 'one off' home.

When you have finished building, total it up and tell me how much per square metre it cost you... There are always hidden or unforeseen costs involved in building.

More
12 years 8 months ago #302903 by cantyguy
Replied by cantyguy on topic Building costs

Azza;286531 wrote: When you have finished building, total it up and tell me how much per square metre it cost you... There are always hidden or unforeseen costs involved in building.

Azza I know there are always hidden costs. Here in Hanmer a luxury home of 300sq metres has just been completed. 2 story, large decks, clad in cedar and colour steel, large stone feature walls came in at $2000 per sq metre.

On the outskirts of ChCh Stonewood homes were selling house and land packages, 3 bedrooms, double garage, full contract including carpets and appliances, driveway and fencing for $349,000.

Your building costs up there seem very high.

Will keep you posted :)

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds