Cat scratching furniture - can it be curbed?

More
12 years 9 months ago #302648 by jen
Hey PG.. yes the drainpipe coil is a great idea.. except they're scratching on the fabric not the legs. Here's a picture:

They're scratching on the back and sides. The chairs actually came with slipcovers in matching fabric, so we have the slipcovers on as the first line of defense, but we don't want the slipcovers shredded either.

(The slipcovers stop where the legs start... they're not scratching the legs thank goodness!)

Will definitely be trimming claws. Most of them don't mind me doing it but a few of them really freak out and it becomes a 2 person job, sometimes takes a few sittings to get through just one cats claws. Still want to teach them better habits though!

Ok.. sandpaper and cat repellent sound like good possibilities. Plus some catnip spray to try to entice them to the post instead. Fingers crossed. [:I]

Attached files
File Attachment:

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #302650 by Beltie
Maybe recover some, or all if possible, of the old cat scratch post with something new to attract their interest more to that??

More
12 years 9 months ago #302652 by Birman Babe
You can buy catnip spray from most vets....check on TM as well.

More
12 years 9 months ago #302769 by kaumea
try to rub a lemon or orange on the legs of your chair...that's what I did on our furniture [;)] they (4 of them) don't like it :D and it works as well :D

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
12 years 9 months ago #302776 by Storey Cottage
And if you dont want to cut their claws you can have them removed all together.....depends how much you like your cat and your furniture...

I should of just bought a bigger mower.....

2 Kune Kune's
1 dog
2 cats
Oh so much grass.......

More
12 years 9 months ago #302826 by Beltie
I'm pretty sure de-clawing cats is illegal.

More
12 years 9 months ago #302837 by The Kats Place
I know you won't want to go here but a friend who breds cats had rubber over claw thingies which they sort of glue on over the claw to protect you furnature, they remove them when they are showing the cats, sounds like a pain to me.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
12 years 9 months ago #302892 by Azza
:D
Dogs are so much easier :p

My old cat gets told off most days for scratching the couch but she will stop when I tell her. I make sure she isn't inside when I'm not because she is a belligerent old mog and I'm sure she does it to wind me up.

More
12 years 9 months ago #303185 by jen
Declawing .. umm.. no thanks :( That's definitely not a nice thing to do to them.

I'm sure dogs seem easier.. but who wants to have to pick up poop in a bag ;) !!

I've been working on getting the cats back into the habit of enjoying the cat post. It seems to be helping a bit, some catnip and encouraging some 'games' on the post (strings and sticks.. the best cat toys are FREE!)

I've been putting my dumb cat up on the top shelf cause he'd stopped using it. He's remembered that he likes it up there.. but he's also discovered that the post is now beside the fireplace and that he can scratch on the mantelpiece! [email protected]@dy bah$tid animal! 14 years and counting... I think he might be losing his marbles.. he had so few to begin with! Anyway, he doesn't mind having his nails trimmed (too DUMB to worry about it!) so we can keep that damage to a minimum.

I'll post back if I work something out for now the chairs are back under their plastic covers!

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds