Climate change issues...

More
12 years 8 months ago #20508 by DiDi
Came across this article by Dr Muriel Newman that I thought was well written and researched.

NOT wanting to start a debate on climate change but for those of you who would be interested in a different view, opposing why we are rushing into this, it makes for interesting reading.

www.grownups.co.nz/read/money/politics/p...-open-letter-climate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #301728 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Climate change issues...
Nick Smith is making as much of a hash of the details of the ETS and the basis of its reasoning as he is with the ACC levies.

John Key must really have it in for Nick to have given him both of those portfolios [;)]

Anthropogenic Global Warming is just an excuse for a tax, the same as the proposed ACC levy increase, except it's not the ETS that will see Wellingtonians neck deep in unhappy motorcyclists on November 17th :cool:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 8 months ago #301729 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Climate change issues...
I agree, with the article, while not a climate change opposer, so much research shows that the models that are being used by the ETS suporters are in a lot of cases inaccurate.

It is going to cost us a lot of money and charging for emmissions and selling our credits overseas is not going to make one bit of difference to our emissions. Education yes certainly.

I say that what will happen in 200 years time will possibly happen in 180 or 190 years because of human emissions, the rest will be nature doing its thing. :)

Too many people and companies can see profits here and are supporting the ETS only because of that, the average NZer will pay.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
12 years 8 months ago #301731 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Climate change issues...
I see that a considerable portion of the letter mentioned is based upon a detailed rebuttal of Mann's infamous "Hockey stick graph".

Although Muriel Newman's rebuttal makes this issue appear clearcut, the actual facts around this graph are not, in fact, as black and white as they are painted in her letter. I encourage people to read the wikipedia article on this subject as an introduction. It is a complex argument, and parts of it are only probably intelligeable to a qualified statistician. However if people are making decisions based upon it, it is important to understand how it fits into the matrix of data around this argument.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_stick_controversy

More
12 years 8 months ago #301743 by Huggiechook
My theory is that Global warming is essentially a religion

Let me explain - from a sociological perspective the primary purpose of a religion is get people to adhere to some rules that optimize the functioning of the society. However since breaking those rules often has no immediate consequence most religions employ the tool of a (fictitious) future personal consequence (Hell [}:)] etc) in order to get people to put the greater good before their personal ends.

Now we currently live in a time where where more and more people don't believe in those consequences anymore but they Do believe in anything that claims to be science (acupuncture, homeopathy, global warming and occasionally (though not very often) actual science [;)]) Therefore Global Warming makes the "perfect" replacement for religion in our society - i.e. "Be green now or you have the destruction of the planet on your concience!"
Now while an incentive to be as green as possible is certainly not a bad thing - religions have been known to go overboard in the past (Eco-Inquisition anyone?)

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds