Borer

More
12 years 8 months ago #20490 by Ronney
Borer was created by Ronney
I have borer in a chest of drawers that are probably close to 100 years old. I want rid of them, not only because of this chest but because of other furniture in the house. Are we still in the age of the borer bomb or are there other alternatives?

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #301541 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Borer
borer bomb. I have seen a paint-on liquid once tho, mitre-10 I think some years back, only works on bare sanded timber, paint all surfaces of the timber so it soaks in and it kills the borer that tries to eat through the treated timber, plus what is in the tunnels that get flooded.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 8 months ago #301542 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Borer
You can get some liquid stuff that you can squirt down the holes and I think there maybe a product that you can paint on? Ring up a furniture restorer and find out what they do.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

More
12 years 8 months ago #301549 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Borer
The liquid stuff is called Metallex and it is a green colour. Works really well, but squirting down each hole is time-consuming and doesn't protect the remaining timber, so ideally the timber needs to be sanded down as Kiwi says.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 8 months ago #301559 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Borer
Hi Ronney,

you could put the chest of drawers into a large plastic bag (you can tape plastic sheets or tarpaulins together) outside and let loose a borer bomb there. This way you don't have the fumes in your house and the chest gets extra good exposure.

More
12 years 8 months ago #301560 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic Borer
Metallex comes in two colours with two different active ingredients. Copper Napthlate is the green one (stains) and is the most effective but Iron Napthalate is clear (non-staining) and is intended for applications such as this. It can only penetrate a short distance into the timber so is really only effective against new beasties trying to get in rather than a lot of existing ones getting out. Also, as K303 and other said, you would need to remove all varnish and treat the entire surface.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
12 years 8 months ago #301673 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Borer
Thankyou, it seems as Borer Bomb is still the best option. This chest of drawers was french polished but badly needs doing again - sometime. I wouldn't think that this method of finishing would seal the wood in the same way varnish would so will there be a need to sand it back?

Simkin, the plastic bag/tarpaulin idea is brilliant :D

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 1 month ago #330749 by dinnaefash
Replied by dinnaefash on topic Borer
We seem to have borer in the house.... :( :([:(!]

I keep seeing new holes appear, in door frames. Anyone I've asked about it asks if I am seeing sawdust on the floor, but no, though more holes seem to be appearing :confused:

We've bought a couple of borer bombs; since I guess we are safer to do the whole house, this seems the way to go...? I'm a bit concerned about the lingering chemicals though. Has anyone used a bomb in an occupied house? Obviously we'll vacate the premises for the 3 hours stated, then leave the windows open the rest of the day (just have to wait for better weather again!!).

Does the 'stuff' settle on every surface? Should we cover beds etc? Any other tips?

I take it there isn't any other more 'natural' (ie chemical free) way of getting rid of the little blighters?? [}:)]

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

More
12 years 1 month ago #330782 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Borer
You could try painting the infested furniture with a liberal coat of diesel. I used this method successfully with a heavily borer ridden chest of drawers. It also stripped most of the varnish. Twenty years on there is no sign of further infestation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #330787 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Borer
Hi igor and welcome to lsb :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 1 month ago #330790 by emumad
Replied by emumad on topic Borer
hi folks,

i seem to remember that french polish is methylated spirits based so maybe a wipe down will remove any excess..
however i have some really large (chest freezer size) plastic bags so if you want to bomb it in a bag i will be happy to send you one..
cheers,
craig.

More
12 years 1 month ago #330800 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Borer
Check with add person at top of page they are good:)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 1 month ago #330832 by Pest Advice
Replied by Pest Advice on topic Borer
Hi Rooney,

A borer bomb is not the way to deal with the borer in your chest of drawers. It would have some effect but such fumigators are not designed to penetrate the timber. They are designed to kill adult beetle during the flight season (Oct-Mar).

I suggest you purchase a Borer Injector aerosol from your local hardware store. The aerosol comes with a nozzle so that you can inject each flight hole individually. This might be a laborious task but is well worth it. The injector pumps the fluid deep into the wood, killing the larvae in the labyrinths and protecting the wood for years.

The fluid can also be sprayed or wiped on any bare timber in the chest of drawers. The adult female beetles need bare timber or flight holes to lay her eggs on and if these are treated with the fluid your furniture will be protected. :)

More information......

PS When using the injector I recommend wearing a pair of glasses to protect your eyes. The labyrinths created by the borer larvae can connect and when injecting one flight hole the fluid can squirt out another.

The Pest Advice

More
12 years 1 month ago #330837 by Pest Advice
Replied by Pest Advice on topic Borer
Hi Dinnaefash,

The question of sawdust from borer flight holes is an interesting one. Borer produce a fine gritty sawdust known as frass as they eat their way through your wood. In still air the dust can fall as a pile below the flight hole where they emerge from the wood as an adult. In most cases the dust is easily blown away and you wont notice it.

The way to tell if a borer flight hole is recent is to (put your spectacles on if you are like me) look closely at the interior of the flight hole. the 'cleaner' it is the more recent it is.

Borer bombs are effective at killing the adult beetles and there are no lingering chemicals once the house is ventilated. There is no need to cover beds but I would cover or remove food and food utensils.

But at this time of year (May) there may not be many adults about. I would suggest using a NO Borer Injector aerosol to inject the flight holes. This is gives long term control where it is used. It penetrates deep into the timber and prevents adults laying eggs in the flight holes for several years.

More information.....

dinnaefash;317494 wrote: We seem to have borer in the house.... :( :([:(!]

I keep seeing new holes appear, in door frames. Anyone I've asked about it asks if I am seeing sawdust on the floor, but no, though more holes seem to be appearing :confused:

We've bought a couple of borer bombs; since I guess we are safer to do the whole house, this seems the way to go...? I'm a bit concerned about the lingering chemicals though. Has anyone used a bomb in an occupied house? Obviously we'll vacate the premises for the 3 hours stated, then leave the windows open the rest of the day (just have to wait for better weather again!!).

Does the 'stuff' settle on every surface? Should we cover beds etc? Any other tips?

I take it there isn't any other more 'natural' (ie chemical free) way of getting rid of the little blighters?? [}:)]

The Pest Advice

More
12 years 1 month ago #330910 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Borer
Thanks for that Pest - but laborious wouldn't even begin to describe it :p Simply because, since my initial post I have found it in a manrobe, a single bed and finishing timber on the stairwell as well as a hanging mirror in the downstairs bathroom which has since been turfed. That is what I've found so far and I'm wondering how much further it is going. Is it worth getting professional fumigators in and then doing follow-up work on bare timber? Finding it in the furniture was bad enough, finding it in the house adds a whole new dimension to the problem.

Oh, and I've just noticed you've posted a link. I shall run away and read that. Thankyou.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds