MYOB question

More
12 years 8 months ago #20405 by moggy
MYOB question was created by moggy
There must be someone else out there who has had the misfortune to choose to buy this nasty piece of software.
It will not let me produce the GST return for this year. Aftr much searching for clues, it look like I need to do something to close off the previous financial year, however it doesn't seem to want to give any clues as to how you mark the previous financial year closed.
This software is the bain of my life, so much so I am busy writing its replacement as it is easier than trying to understand MYOB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #300550 by OakhengeFarm
Replied by OakhengeFarm on topic MYOB question
Can't help with MYOB - I gave up on it pretty quick.

I use Quickbooks - download the trial from www.quicken.co.nz - it has some interesting quirks, but on the whole a lot more comprehensible than MYOB.

I have friends who claimed "MYOB must be more popular - lots of people run training courses on how to use it". My reply to them is that the reason that no-one runs Quickbooks courses is that you don't need them - it makes sense out of the box without a training course!

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
12 years 8 months ago #300551 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic MYOB question
typical, as soon as I give up and ask for help, I finally find the answer.

quickbooks is on my shopping list, I have downloaded the demo, and as soon as there is some spare cash I may buy it, though it would be nice to have writen my own.
Being a microsoft office developer I can easily make one that will support a million and one different formats and re-write the user interface to my hearts content.

More
12 years 8 months ago #300553 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic MYOB question
Did what you found work??
What version did you buy?
I still love MYOB, but then I have been using it for 20 odd years [:I]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 8 months ago #300558 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic MYOB question
Yes it did, but it annoys me that you can't now see the detail of the transactions for the previous year.
I forget which version exactly (I am at work so can't check). But for what it need it to do it has the right features, just the most frustrating user unfriendly user interface I have ever had the misfortune to meet.

More
12 years 8 months ago #300562 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic MYOB question
I agree with you Moggy re MYOB, I do find Quickbooks easier to use and no problems comparing history or GST[8D]

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
12 years 8 months ago #300580 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic MYOB question
There is normally (not knowing your version) an option not to archive the previous years transaction. Check when you get home, you can always restore and restart new year.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 8 months ago #300591 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic MYOB question
We spent about 8 years struggling to run our business with MYOB - it's a giant pain in the butt so we got rid of it. We both have a background in IT - we run our entire network (home and work) on Ubuntu which is free open source software. And now we have a great open source accounts package that I would highly recommend and its FREE. It's called SQL Ledger and it is web based so there is not software to load on your 'puter - just use your browser. I can set up as many users as I want for free, I can set up as many companies as I want for free. FREEFREE FREE, you can't get better than that!! I worked in corporate environments for 20 years in the area of IT and finance and this is the best system I have come across for small to medium sized business'. I do all of our orders/accounts/bank recs/paye/gst etc from home. This is our second financial year using it and I will never go back - only upgrade to newer versions of SQL Ledger :D :D :D

More
12 years 8 months ago #300607 by OakhengeFarm
Replied by OakhengeFarm on topic MYOB question
SQL Ledger looks very interesting, but can it handle GST? I have been hunting for another accounting system, but can't find one that handles GST in anything like the NZ system. :( Did you customise it for NZ?

I use Quickbooks, but would really like to use something that works under Linux - Quicken have informed me that they have no plans for making it work under Linux, so I'm stuck on [xx(]Vista[xx(] at the moment.

In fact, Quicken is the ONLY reason to stay with [xx(]Windows[xx(]. I have run it under an emulator, and it ran really badly. If I can move my accounting to Linux (and yes, we use Ubuntu) then I can finally say Goodbye to Bill Gates!! :D :D :D

How did you get on setting up the GST side of things? Is the reporting any good? Did you just use the standard install or have to "New-Zealand-ise" it at all?

Sorry for hijacking the thread - MYOB still sucks!

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
12 years 8 months ago #300615 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic MYOB question
SQL works pretty well with GST. There are people using it all over the world so most places have some kind of sales tax etc - even in the US each state deals with it differently. My husband did the install (he is the tech geek) and I did the set up. Once installed I went into the system menu and under taxes it asked me my GST number and the rate (12.5%) and away we went. There is a bit of a trap with the labelling of things re GST. Basically each customer and vendor needs to be set up with a GST flag or not (we sometimes export stuff so this is useful) and it is CRUCIAL you put that flag around the right way! It is really easy to get wrong because of the way it's labelled but I can tell you which way round those flags go.

Under AR and AP there is a tax collected and tax paid reports available - I run those every second month and do the GST return in about 10 minutes (this does not include the hours I spend doing bank recs etc unfortunately!!)
We ran parallel with MYOB for 3 months (which was a pain but so worth doing) and proved that it worked for GST etc which gave me a great deal of confidence in it. We run an ecommerce site with full shopping cart so the next step for us is to build the link between the 2 where orders on the website will automatically create invoices/packing slips and print them out from SQL Ledger.

It is truly great to not have to rely on Mr Gates and to get all this fantastic software for free that used to cost us $1000's of dollars!! Happy to answer any other questions you may have - ask away!

More
12 years 8 months ago #300649 by ame
Replied by ame on topic MYOB question
Hooray! Another Linux user!

A

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds