Good Keen Man rerelease

More
12 years 8 months ago #20288 by reggit
It's the 50th anniversary of Barry Crump's 'Good Keen Man' and they are rereleasing the book.

Hubby and I went along to a talk by Barry's son Martin - what a great night! He's certainly got the yarn-telling gene from his dad, and with that radio voice is a very good speaker. Lots of stories about his relationship with Barry, intermittent though it was, and the family dynamics, and about Barry's adventures and how he became a writer etc.

I bought hubby the book as we didn't have a copy at home. He is not an enthusiastic reader, but he started it about 9pm last night and by the time he went to bed (god knows what hour) he'd already read a third of it! :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #299464 by Muddy Boots
Replied by Muddy Boots on topic Good Keen Man rerelease
I saw he is giving a talk near us soon too, and was thinking of taking my kids along to hear him - anything in the talk I should be aware of then?

More
12 years 8 months ago #299495 by wiredkiwi
Replied by wiredkiwi on topic Good Keen Man rerelease
I can't resist posting this - attached is the true story of the rescue of Barry Crump in Australia in the 60's. The story was written by my late father, who was the skipper of the rescue yacht 'Tuarangi' and was later published in Tessa Duder's anthology 'Seduced By The Sea'. Enjoy!

Attached files RESCUING CRUMPY.pdf (122.4 KB) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

More
12 years 8 months ago #299502 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Good Keen Man rerelease
The stories were pitched at the audience - at one stage he checked to make sure no kiddies lurking before telling us a wee tale, but if there had been kids present, he wouldn't have told that particular bit [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 8 months ago #299505 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Good Keen Man rerelease

wiredkiwi;282741 wrote: I can't resist posting this - attached is the true story of the rescue of Barry Crump in Australia in the 60's. The story was written by my late father, who was the skipper of the rescue yacht 'Tuarangi' and was later published in Tessa Duder's anthology 'Seduced By The Sea'. Enjoy!

That's a great story :D :D :D :D

Web Goddess

More
12 years 8 months ago #299506 by wiredkiwi

Kate;282751 wrote: That's a great story :D :D :D :D

Yep - I was a lucky kid, my bedtime stories were true tales of seafaring adventures! I miss my Dad. His funeral was a year ago today :( but I was lucky he was able to pass all his stories on to me - great yarns to rival Crumpy's!

More
12 years 8 months ago #299516 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Good Keen Man rerelease

wiredkiwi;282752 wrote: Yep - I was a lucky kid, my bedtime stories were true tales of seafaring adventures! I miss my Dad. His funeral was a year ago today :( but I was lucky he was able to pass all his stories on to me - great yarns to rival Crumpy's!

Why not write them down and publish them? "A Good Keen Sailor Man"

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 8 months ago #299517 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Good Keen Man rerelease
wkiwi what great memories you must have of him and that helps a little with missing him I hope, I love the sea and stories of men who go down to it in boats

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 8 months ago #299518 by wiredkiwi

Kiwi303;282763 wrote: Why not write them down and publish them? "A Good Keen Sailor Man"

Dad wrote a lot of them himself, and I have the log of the Tuarangi as well, so yes, am in the process of collating, editing and filling in the blanks. At the very least I want a 'complete collection' short run for family history purposes, but might even look at trying to get it published properly!

And I think that's an awesome title!

More
12 years 8 months ago #299947 by cantyguy
Replied by cantyguy on topic Good Keen Man rerelease
What a great story!!

More
12 years 8 months ago #300187 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Good Keen Man rerelease
I wish they'd rescreen the movie. That was hilarious! I have no idea why it's not been shown, as far as Kiwi humour goes it's a classic.

Maybe if we all banded together and requested it, they might just show it.... I mean they could always flick off one of those dreadful bubblegum movies to screen it, they are quick enough to whip off other good stuff like Jonathan Creek to screen the rugby (she says winking and ducking for cover)
So why not preempt one of the rubbish movies that have been repeated already? So many good and interesting Kiwi films and we get blah.

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds