songs to make you laugh or cry

More
14 years 6 months ago #299311 by Dream Weaver
I still have some of my parents 78s. Maple on the Hill, now who remembers that???? Tell me a story, Teddybears Picnic are some of them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #299318 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic songs to make you laugh or cry
For me it is a Simply Red song that was popular (can't recall name) at the time a friend was killed in a car accident. Still being played. Favourite group from years ago was Led Zepplin but it nearly makes me cry now knowing how many years have slipped by! :(

More
14 years 6 months ago #299357 by Dream Weaver
speaking of music. Can anyone tell me who sings a song called "The Leader of the Band" ????? Its quite a sad song and was out in the late 70s 89s

More
14 years 6 months ago #299380 by DebM
Replied by DebM on topic songs to make you laugh or cry
I don't know Leader of the Band... do you mean Leader of the Pack? The "motorbike" one...?

More
14 years 6 months ago #299403 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic songs to make you laugh or cry
The leader of the band is tired and his eyes are growing old, but his blood runs thru my instrument and his song is in my soul ...

Is that is, smilie? Um, it's Dan Fogelberg :D

More
14 years 6 months ago #299442 by NZ Appaloosas
My very first concert, ever...and without the 'rents in tow, no less, and in midwinter. My friend and I were aged 14/15, and other friends had gone to a different concert 2 weeks earlier, which lasted all of 2 hours. Told my dad when he dropped us off that this should be over by 10-10:30, since it was supposed to start at 8pm. Turns out that he ended up sitting in a cold car in a dark parking lot for 3.5 hours as the concert didn't end until 1:30 AM! Last time he took me to a concert! LOL

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 6 months ago #299564 by Dream Weaver
OMG Prim you darling. Yes thats it. I love that song but couldnt remember who sang it THANK YOU heaps

More
14 years 6 months ago #299584 by sssnake
With the amount of mud at my place.........

And the weather forecast........

Song which makes me cry is........

'Rain drops are falling on my head'........... :(

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

More
14 years 6 months ago #299586 by ronnie
Thank you all for the nostalgic trip - really enjoying it, keep them coming.

When living in the big smoke (I'm sure it was another lifetime ago) we used to go to all the concerts - David Bowie, Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac, Rod Stewart etc etc. But my vivid memory is of missing the Neil Diamond concert (must have been the mid 70's) as my mother would not let me travel from Napier to Auckland and back on the back of my friends brothers (rather large and powerful) motor bike [xx(][xx(]
In hindsight, it was probably a wise decision, but one I had trouble forgiving her for [}:)]

OH is a total music nut and my very, very small house is jammed to the rafters with all things musical - thousands of cds, records and now dvd's etc. He is of the variety that cannot just have one - must have at LEAST 2 copies of everything in case something happens to the first one[}:)][}:)]:rolleyes:

More
14 years 6 months ago #299592 by sod
Replied by sod on topic songs to make you laugh or cry
These are why we have Solid Gold on all the time :):) often hear one that brings back memories

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 6 months ago #299613 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic songs to make you laugh or cry

smilie;282817 wrote: OMG Prim you darling. Yes thats it. I love that song but couldnt remember who sang it THANK YOU heaps

[:I] That was easy, smilie! I'm (generally) hopeless with songs/singers/famous people etc, but those I like I don't often forget ;)

More
14 years 6 months ago #299639 by Ghilly
Love Glenn Miller. I've had the same CD in the ute for the last 10 months, every time I take it out, I seem to end up putting it back in.

Love Bjorks' Oh 'So Quiet' her CD's don't work so well in a vehicle though.

Looooove Doris Day...... The black hills of Dakota *sigh* always reminds me of traveling up to Kaiteriteri. It used to be bliss there and it was an excellent place to go to with this song playing as we drove through The Hope Saddle.. except the hills were black. Artistic license!

Used to play 'The Deadwood Stage' and 'I just blew in from the windy city', over and over again, singing fit to bust.. pity about some of the higher notes and the length they had to be held for but I'm sure Doris would understand.

Love the songs from 'Victor Victoria' too No way I'd manage to hold on to a note as high and as long as Julie Andrews could though, I tried, nearly ruptured me froat!

Yakut

More
14 years 6 months ago #299727 by Dream Weaver
I found it, Hope it works.

More
14 years 6 months ago #300049 by Doz
Replied by Doz on topic songs to make you laugh or cry
Hey Yakut, I think you are talking about 'Flowers of the forest'
It starts, "well how do you do Private Willie McBride? Do you mind if I sit here down by your graveside?'

Absolutely agree with you about this and The Band Played Waltzing Mathilda. Another one that does it for me is The Joy Of Living.

More
14 years 6 months ago #300060 by Ghilly
That's the one, sung by Eric Bogel. He also has a song called Little Gomez which is funny, sad but funny and sung to a sort of Gilbert and Sullivan tune... A Modern Major General.
Gomez is a rather rampant chiuaua (sp) and insists on taking on anything, including "a wombat who just happened to be passing". His fate came when he was in the park (tally was at four) and he met Blodwin, a Saint Bernard.... she got bored and sat down. Poor little Gomez was buried in a rather flat and round grave.

I've heard, I think it was a Martin Curtis album, the Flowers of the Forest tune. It followed the song... I've got the words somewhere and have sung it a few times but you have to pick your audience for a lot of these songs. Some of them send chills down your spine.

It's a long time ince I've listened to that album but I seem to remember either Martin Curtis or Marcus Turner using a set of restored Ulian(sp) pipes.

Marcus has written a couple of wonderful songs about spiders, one is very quiet and sweet about 'Lady Arania' and the other is cute, about a little spider in the bath who can't get out, he slipped upon the loofa whilst chasing a moth and is sitting beside the plug hole waiting to be rescued and says that when he does, he'll run home to his mother one leg after the other, after the other, after the other, after the other, after the other, after the other, after the other, after the other.

Those of you who are old enough to remember Spot On, Marcus was one of the presenters. He is so bloody talented he could play his eyebrows if he put his mind to it. Bodhran, Fiddle, Banjo, Pipes, Tin Whistle, Bones, Guitar, Squeeze Box... who knows how many I have forgotten seeing him play.

There are those musicians you hear about in the media and those that are much closer to home, a visit to the local Folk Club can be incredibely fun and full of very talented and funny musicians and other times it can be quite dull... I guess it depends on what you like and what sort of mood you're in.

Some songs are dire and so depressing without actually triggering an emotion like the Eric Bogel song does, that song is so real and you can relate to it. Some songs are so dreary, it's taken me all my effort to sit still and not shout out to the main character in the song, who is full of woe and heartbreak "Oh FFS just end it all then" A bit like some country and western songs about some bloke whose woman has left, the potato chips are soggy from tears, there's no more beer and his dog has just up and left him as well.

Hey ho..... Glenn Miller is still playing in the ute....... it's like a Graeme Base picture, every time you listen to it, you hear something else.
His trombone solo in Little Brown Jug is astounding... how anyone can move their arm that fast, let alone hit the right notes!!!
I tried a trombone once...... just the once....... it was a mission just to hold it up in the right position and move the slide let alone actually manage to play it properly. I'm still waiting for my Tenor Horn.... I want one and I shall get one one day. It's the same fingering as the trumpet and it's what I learned on, I just didn't appreciate it at the time, a Trumpet was so much cooler than a fusty old Tenor Horn with masking tape around the pipes.... Now, I'd take that fusty old Tenor Horn, including the masking tape, without having to think twice about it being cool or not. I don't care, they sound so mellow, like a Cello...... Oooh Nice! It felt more like 'my friend' than the trumpet did, that was 'a fair weather friend'. I think we came to blows (excuse the pun) when I had to play rather high notes and thought they were very squeaky and shrill. I also had a nasty habit of not holding it up and playing at the floor instead. The Tenor Horn is more 'cuddled'. It sits easier and to play at the floor you'd have to stand on your head so it doesn't matter how lazy you feel, as long as you're upright the bell will always point up.

Oooh how did that little rant start?

'Pooooooofffffff' there goes the day

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds