Hunting bows

More
12 years 9 months ago #20212 by moggy
Hunting bows was created by moggy
Does anyone use one of these?
I am thinking of buying one. I am a pretty good shot with a hunting slingshot and fancy going up market a bit.
What do you look for in a bow? How do you teach yourself to shoot?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298242 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Hunting bows
I thought hunting slingshots were illegal in NZ? Can't help with the Bow question but wonder why you would want to kill an animal (presumably) with a bow (unless death is instant?) when a gun will do the job quicker and faster - i would have thought - but happy to be corrected.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298250 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Hunting bows
Didi. A bow is silent. well, mostly so compared to an unsilenced rifle. it's also the challenge of the stalk, having to get so close to kill something, as opposed to standing off so far you may as well be using a cruise missile :)

I don't use a bow myself, but there are a few on the fish n hunt forum who do... www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi you'll get a LOT more response on there I suspect than on here :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 9 months ago #298261 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic Hunting bows
Not a bow hunter but as a target archer I would strongly suggest you join an archery club and get some instruction before trying to hunt. Good technique is essential for accuracy and it is easy to make mistakes if trying to do it yourself.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
12 years 9 months ago #298267 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Hunting bows
Didi slingshots are freely available for purchase in NZ. They are only good for small animals obviously. You aim for the head, stun it and then kill it by other means. I haven't killed anything with it, as I only recently found a place to buy the metal shot for it here, so could only practice with with pebbles which don't have enough weight.

Bows if used correctly will kill just as quickly as a bullet. And just the same as a gun, if your aim is crap, then the animal will suffer.

thanks for that link kiwi303, will check it out.

Powerguy, no worries about me going out and randomly trying to kill something. I was planning on practicing on the lawn for quite some time before even thinking of trying to kill so much as a rabbit. And without a wouldn't know where I was allowed or was a good place to hunt.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298335 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Hunting bows
A friend of mine uses a bow for hunting as well as guns. I could ask him if its ok to give you his email if you like. He also owns a gun shop and i think they sell bows too

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298384 by moggy
thanks devan, but only trouble him if he has a shop in chch.

• Jack
12 years 9 months ago #298392 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Hunting bows
Gidday

We got plenty rabbits for you to come and shoot.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298395 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic Hunting bows

moggy;281420 wrote: Powerguy, no worries about me going out and randomly trying to kill something. I was planning on practicing on the lawn for quite some time before even thinking of trying to kill so much as a rabbit. And without a wouldn't know where I was allowed or was a good place to hunt.

That is exactly what I am cautioning against. If you develop a bad habit then it will be very hard to overcome it later. Also, with poor technique you may become frustrated at not being able to shoot consistently. You will need advice on posture, anchor point, release, sighting etc and that is not something that you can develop just with practise. Please join a club and get some good instruction first.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
12 years 9 months ago #298415 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic Hunting bows
Moggy, do they still do archery between tai tap and motukarara? would be nice and close for you.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298420 by moggy
I don't know. I know there is still something called the rifle range, which i am guessing might be the place you are thinking of, but i have no idea who uses it. Any other details would be welcome.
I should add that even if I got a bow tomorrow, not planning on going out hunting any time soon or without someone who knows a lot more than i do.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298485 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic Hunting bows
Sorry Moggy, I really don't know anything about it...just used to see them at it shooting arrows down the paddock. must be a club you can contact...ask Mr google?
good luck, sounds like fun!

More
12 years 9 months ago #298494 by moggy

powerguy;281559 wrote: That is exactly what I am cautioning against. If you develop a bad habit then it will be very hard to overcome it later. Also, with poor technique you may become frustrated at not being able to shoot consistently. You will need advice on posture, anchor point, release, sighting etc and that is not something that you can develop just with practise. Please join a club and get some good instruction first.

tbh, I am not that much into joining clubs. If I can't shoot consistently I will no doubt just give up and sell the bow. I won't go out trying to kill anything if I am not confident I can take it down with one shot, that would be just cruel. If I can't get the feel for it then no matter how much I like the idea of archery it isn't for me.
Years ago I started wood turning. I struggled, I made some stuff, but it was not easy. I paid for a days tuition. The guy said lift your arm up. It cost me 90GBP to hear that phrase but it completely changed how I could turn wood.
It probably will be the same with archery. I will teach myself 90% then if the other 10% does not happen automatically I will seek help.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds