A strange week and would you go for it?

More
12 years 9 months ago #20201 by moggy
After the bad incident with the roof of the van, we had to fork out $400 for the excess on the insurance. yesterday, i got a $400 bonus at work. It was more surprising as the company normally gives a bottle of wine as a pat on the back.
A couple of weeks ago, after a few glasses of wine I filled out the application form for Master chef NZ. I didn't think anything more of it.
apparently I have an audition next month. i haven't accepted as I need a couple of days unpaid holiday and if successfull a couple of months off work.
Would you go for it?
i should add i love cooking and have written one cookery book (not attempted to get it published, i assumed it would be rejected)

beedee cough, cough........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298058 by Kiwi303
I would go for it :D who knows... you might just win :P

I could probably have a chance if the judges agreed that charcoal and teflon frypan lining omelette is a suitable dish :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 9 months ago #298060 by Pumpkingirl
Yes. Life is an adventure :D My baking speciality is White Chocolate Cake and scones, so it wouldn't be for me. But heck, if you have a recipe ready to go...

And by the way, the Australian winner, Julie, works for IT company...

More
12 years 9 months ago #298062 by Ronney
Well, the bonus has cancelled out the excess so your no worse off but a bit of a bummer it had to go that way.

Mmm, I'm not a gambler but there have been times in my life when I've made the decision on life changing chances and it's paid off. I would go for it. A couple of days off work is probably no big deal, and if your successful you can discuss with your company the option to take a 2 month sabbatical. If they won't wear it, I would still go for it because opportunities to do what you like doing don't come often.

It could also be the right time to submit your book for publication - the worst anybody can say is no.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 9 months ago #298065 by moggy
I have to say, I am leaning towards agreeing with you Ronney. hey the audition could be fun, and if they think i am any good, then the next risk could be worth it (I don't want to be in IT for the rest of my life)
initial investigations at work were that it would be unlikely that you would be required 24/7 for 2 months (even assuming you were not eliminated first round) in which case, I could work from the Auckland office. (the boss is there anyway, so no big deal)

More
12 years 9 months ago #298066 by eelcat
No question - go for it. I've read your book and it is very good. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I've had a few books published (never in my life expecting that it would happen, but right place, right time etc etc) and it is very satisfying to see it in print. Audition - you never know - a whole new life may open up for you

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 9 months ago #298068 by beedee
AND about time tooooooooo!!!!!!!

More
12 years 9 months ago #298071 by DiDi
I replied and then deleted having been far too cautious about whether your job would still be there, would your bosses wear it etc and having decided to wait for others to respond. Now my reply is - go for it! Hell life goes so damn fast and if you can have an adventure that fulfils a dream, a need, a want - go for it!

More
12 years 9 months ago #298077 by spoook
Go for it, and I will be able to say I have eaten your cooking :D regardless of the outcome (of the audition that is [;)])

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 9 months ago #298078 by moggy
thanks people. I have replied saying i will audition and also rung up the BIL who is a professional chef asking for advice - he says, seasoning and presentation.

OK gotta read up on presentation, far to used to cooking it and chucking it on the platre.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298101 by Dream Weaver
Nothing ventured,nothing gained so go for it.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298103 by jen
You'll have to provide lots of details though about how everything progresses :)

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
12 years 9 months ago #298104 by reggit
I tend to work on the 'if you give it a go and it doesn't work out it wasn't meant to be, but if you don't give it a go you'll never know' approach :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 9 months ago #298105 by Seaside
Wow moggy! I did consider applying and Roy, my oldest, is constantly badgering me to! However, it's a non starter for me. It would be impossibly impracticable leave my job and family for two months. The other thing is that I make sauces and pickles for sale, and I have a feeling that may be classed as 'professional' and might exclude me under the conditions.

I'd LOVE to see you on it though!!! I'd suggest learning any of the basics that you don't already know. Filleting a fish, handmaking pasta and pastry, deboning a chicken, and some dessert basics (that's where I'd fall down - puddings).

I'd also suggest that whatever you choose for the audition dish, practice it lots before! And remember they are looking not only for flavour and ability, but some sort of skill and a natural feeling for combining ingredients.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 9 months ago #298115 by GloPony
Definitely go for it! I bet there was a heap of people who applied who won't be offered the opportunity so grab it with both hands!

You should only work to live, not live to work so take every opportunity that comes your way & worry about how you'll work around your 'real' job when the time comes. [;)]

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds