Explain this...canned food

More
12 years 9 months ago #20115 by DiDi
Most of you know I am passionate about dog food labels but tonight I came across a human food label that has me thinking and seeking answers.

Beetroot: Opened a can of Select sliced beetroot and it was mouth watering - no other explanation for it! The only other beetroot I had in the house was Watties Baby Beets so I wondered why they tasted so different.

The difference between the two was fairly non existent except for the Sodium content in the Aussie sliced beetroot - twice the amount per 100gm - as in 170gm NZ to 332gm Aus per 100gm. The tin weighed 450gms of which I had maybe three slices out of a huge amount. Not that much Sodium intake.

I am a Beetroot nut and have been so disappointed with the taste of NZ canned Beetroot for some time so why should I not continue to buy Aussie Beetroot when it tastes so good? I know sodium is not good for you but are our manufacturers having to comply with some health edict that means our food doesn't taste so good? Could the sodium make that much difference to the taste?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #297161 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic Explain this...canned food
hubbie loved beetroots and bought cans when on special,,he was economical and loved grocery shopping (!)
bought so many that I did forbid him to buy anymore,,so many cans!
we used to joke when shopping:
- sure there arent space for a few more beetroot cans?
-NOO! :)

I did go in to a grocery shop and found a HUGE can of beetroots and bought it just to mock him :)

Do you want that one???

More
12 years 9 months ago #297169 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Explain this...canned food
Sodium means salt content, and salt enhances taste rather than creates it.

The difference in taste could be the flavour of the pickling medium (vinegar or food acid - food acid often means unfermented white vinegar). Or it could be the variety of beetroot grown, or it could be the growing conditions (I ate a raw baby beetroot once that I hadn't watered enough and it was vile).

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 9 months ago #297171 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Explain this...canned food
I also find the Aussie beetroot has far more flavour than the NZ ones.

More
12 years 9 months ago #297172 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Explain this...canned food
:D Thanks hestia but I think I will pass on a HUGE can.

My Mum always advocated eating beetroot saying it is a blood purifier. In fact my favourite sandwich is mushed up boiled egg with beetroot slices. Yummy!

More
12 years 9 months ago #297178 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Explain this...canned food
If a beetroot was grown using only NPK fertilizer it tastes accordingly. If it was grown using a balanced fertilizer - or in good deep soil - then it tastes a lot better. The salt may only have enhanced an already good flavour.

The biggest difference in taste is in carrots.My own ones are sweet and taste like carrots, Some shop bought ones do, too. But sometimes the shop bought ones taste disgusting, often they are bitter. And no amount of salt would improve that.

More
12 years 9 months ago #297184 by The Kats Place
Didi - grown and bottle you own, you will never eat bought stuff again.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
12 years 9 months ago #297198 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Explain this...canned food

The Kats Place;280234 wrote: Didi - grown and bottle you own, you will never eat bought stuff again.

Agree totally!! And its so easy to grow. DH has taken over most of the bottling and jam making and he does the beetroot when they are young and the flavour is fantastic.....we only get the canned stuff if I have been a little pig and eaten all our home grown supplies.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
12 years 9 months ago #297203 by LongRidge
As mentioned above, sodium is added as common table salt.
As beets mature, starches are converted to sugar in the root, especially when the weather gets cold. Because the Aussie ones were more mature I suspect that they would also be sweeter than baby beets. Also, the baby beets would not have been frosted, which as in parsnips, improves the flavour.
As mentioned, the preserving acid will make a huge difference, and the amount of cooking juice that goes back into the pickling mix.

More
12 years 9 months ago #297221 by DiDi
I tried growing them from seed last Summer but was not very sucessful. Do you know what "brand" you are using, assuming you are doing it from seed. Keen to do it again with a bit more attention paid to the soil. Perhaps too hot and sunny where they were?

More
12 years 9 months ago #297223 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Explain this...canned food
My hubby peels and grates raw Beetroot into his salad and he makes up a bit bowl every three days or so, so that is one of the first things he will be planting again in the garden, and he does not want me to bother bottling them, ( I do suggest that I can) as he loves them raw, straight out of the garden.

RaeM

More
12 years 9 months ago #297225 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Explain this...canned food
I remember on the Jamie Oliver school dinner programme that part of the problem he had was that the processed foods had so many additives in them that the kids got used to, that without adding a heap of salt, etc, to his cooking they thought 'real' food was bland. So from memory he got round this by adding other seasonings.

I love boiled, cold beetroot as it is, no additives, no vinegar, just lovely and sweet. Roast beetroot, skins and all, is great too - skin tastes really nutty :p

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 9 months ago #297230 by hogiehorse
Totally agree with you DiDi. I am a bit of a beetroot nut too. If I buy canned, it is ONLY the Aussie canned. I do not like the NZ ones.

I also buy fresh beetroot and cook in microwave with nothing added, and then when still hot, stir in some unsweetened yoghurt. Yum. When I was a child, I used to "help" my mother with the cooked beetroot (we all loved it in our family). The way I helped was getting rid of some of it (hee, hee). I adored it freshly cooked and hot.

Hogiehorse
Quit lifestyling in September 2005 after 20 years but still ardent fan of this forum

More
12 years 9 months ago #297268 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Explain this...canned food
I find that some beetroot varieties do well at our place, others don't. 'Cylindra' is the fastest maturing, Detroit dark red makes nice round beetroots but sometimes the root does not grow. 'Bull's Blood' grows into a huge root, up to a kilo, if planted on a dead possum :D

'Chiogga Red White' is an interesting one, mainly suitable raw for salads.

We do eat a lot of raw beetroot - it has anti cancerous substances. Once beetroot has been cooked these substances are no longer present.

I planted my first ones today - Cylindra and Bulls Blood :D :D

More
12 years 9 months ago #297294 by DiDi
Thanks Simkin. "Cylindra" is the one as no dead possums around here! Laugh. Will also look for Chiogga. I have never had raw beetroot - hadn't even heard of doing that so always something to learn.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds