Bird ID

More
12 years 9 months ago #20114 by railview
Bird ID was created by railview
Can anyone tell from this chick the name of the bird ? The adults are very loud.

Attached files
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #297039 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Bird ID
Spur winged plover , nesting on the ground about now

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 9 months ago #297040 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Bird ID
It's a juvenile "Flaming Pest" noisy and obnoxious when grown

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• Jack
12 years 9 months ago #297041 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Bird ID
Gidday

Aint all Aussies the same?

More
12 years 9 months ago #297043 by Leeanne
Replied by Leeanne on topic Bird ID
also known as clown birds!! Aussie over stayers and a bl***y pain during the breeding season Ive got acouple that nest in horse paddocks every year love to dive at you and can be a real pain when we are riding!!!

More
12 years 9 months ago #297045 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Bird ID
Yeah, they fly around and cry at night too loud and shrieking. Drive me nuts

Yakut

More
12 years 9 months ago #297047 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Bird ID
Yes, they've hatched in my paddock too & I'm continually dive-bombed when getting the horses in or jumping. One came so close last night I felt the wind from its wings.

There was an item on the news or Close Up the other night about their nest being disturbed by a Council mower on a roadside somewhere up North.

They have only moved up from the Sth Island in recent times. When I lived in Ohakune in the 80s they had just moved in there. Now they're everywhere!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
12 years 9 months ago #297058 by Leeanne
Replied by Leeanne on topic Bird ID
We often feel the wind from wings!! They have spurs on wings that they can rake you with if they get close enough so Ive been told... Plus is horse seem pretty use to them so as yet noones had a spook from the continuous diving!! I saw close up too

More
12 years 9 months ago #297063 by railview
Replied by railview on topic Bird ID
Makes interesting reading when you have a name for them. That chick was born from a batch of 4 eggs laid on the ground. I believe they were only a few hours old so was able to get close to them with a camera without them running all over the place.

I covered my head with a raincoat as the adults were flying overhead screeching away and in fact one nearly dive bombed me. Very annoying sound.

More
12 years 9 months ago #297116 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Bird ID
I think we have some nesting too, as they don't like it when I go through the gate into the orchard or to the compost heap. Diving and screeching. Very noisy at the best of times.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 9 months ago #297784 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Bird ID
Pity we can't send them back eh. ;) Still they provide the Pukeko with more food. I've never seen a Plover chick survive to adulthood here. I've found the eggs, but never seen half grown chicks.

Haven't seen any live half grown White Faced Herons either, only one that I found dead. Spme of the mallard ducklings make it through to fledging and the pair of Paradise ducks is getting quite good at producing young adults. The other, younger pair don't manage to though.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

More
12 years 9 months ago #297887 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Bird ID

Inger;280888 wrote: Pity we can't send them back eh. ;) Still they provide the Pukeko with more food. I've never seen a Plover chick survive to adulthood here. I've found the eggs, but never seen half grown chicks.

Haven't seen any live half grown White Faced Herons either, only one that I found dead. Spme of the mallard ducklings make it through to fledging and the pair of Paradise ducks is getting quite good at producing young adults. The other, younger pair don't manage to though.

And how many people hate the Pukeko? Too many. They kill the ducklings (never mind that they are an import too:confused:), they scratch up their garden and wreck them, they squabble and screech. I really need to know why so many move to the country and then proceed to bitch about the wildlife they have to share it with. There is a constant stream of complaint about, mainly, birdlife and all because it interferes with what they are trying to do. I am quite sure that if the Tui and Fantail scratched up their garden, made a noise in the middle of the night or ate the roses, they would be complained about as well.

I like the Plover, I don't "hear" it's noise and they tell me it's going to rain - and how many of you have worked that out?

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 9 months ago #298209 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Bird ID
Plovers don't do well in our paddocks...the horses tend to just sort of destroy their nests.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298211 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Bird ID
Only about 10% of the chicks survive .

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
12 years 9 months ago #298212 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Bird ID
I love the pukekos, the tui, the fantails, kingfishers, ducks, grey warblers, sparrows, hawks - but can't stand the damn plovers. They aren't just country thing, ronney, the dratted things used to live in the park across from us in town, bloody noisy things [;)] even though they made it to NZ under their own steam (apparently) I still consider them an interloper.

Are we supposed to love possums and rats cos they come with the country life too? [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds