Cough remedy needed.... urgently

More
12 years 9 months ago #20048 by spoook
Well, to really make my day/ week I now have a cough [xx(]. Just what I need to bust my stitched. The pain is not good. :(
I am drinking lemon and honey and taking paracetamol every 4 hours. L bought me some Vicks cough syrup but can't be the right one as it is not quite doing the job.

I am desperate so have turned to "my family" to make me better, I have rung the doctor and had no response yet.:(
This coughing is making me cry and it takes a lot to get me to do that (except for PG's stories [;)])

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #296187 by Xartep
Vicks on the feet, then warm socks.

Lemon verbena, lemon balm and sage tea. With honey (Manuka with a high UMF) to make it taste okay.

Get better soon.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 9 months ago #296195 by Kiwi303
2 tablespoons of 80 proof whiskey (40% alc) 4 tablespoons high UMF honey, add a few drops of ecalyptus oil and a couple of sage leaves ground into paste. Stir well and have a tablespoonful as needed.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 9 months ago #296199 by wiredkiwi
Bailey's. 1 shot every couple of hours. In fact, have a shot of any high alcohol spirit (neat, no mixers!). Has an added bonus of the fact you'll feel much less worried about things!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

More
12 years 9 months ago #296200 by beedee
Steam. and more steam... if you feel tight in the chest, like you wanna cough but the little slugs wont come up, then you may need an inhaler for a few days to open up the airways, .. tie a small cushion to the abdo and you can then hang on with one hand

More
12 years 9 months ago #296201 by spoook
I would love to think the alcohol remedies would work but my other meds say "NO ALCOHOL" [:0]

I will try the Vicks on the feet (see, I am desperate [;)])

BD, I am wearing the binder and clutching myself tightly when I get the coughing urge. Airways feel open but might try steam to keep them moist and hopefully stop the cough starting.

More
12 years 9 months ago #296204 by Organix
Not a natural remedy but I use Robitussin products for congestion or coughs when other strategies aren't successful. One dose is usually enough though a common side effect is loosening of the bowels [:0] so a good reason not to over use :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 9 months ago #296207 by terralee
Spoook put vicks in your steam inhale ...works immediately ...Boiling water in bowl, big glob vicks and towel to make a tent then inhale , inhale inhale.
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 9 months ago #296217 by beedee
any of those TV ad coff meds are just quackery.. and have been well documented in newspapers lately, so not a medical secret.. a half tsp of salt in the steam will soothe the mucosa, but doesnt smell as nice as Vicks.. just dont spill the boiling water over thyself..
Now I feel very guilty for not visiting but I was on the road for 8 hrs yesterday.. and needed to get home before dark.
also gargle with salt water, in case of any post nasal drip from the dry passages during the operation are a bit inflammed.
and if you start the sneezles you cant sneeze if your tongue is touching the roof of your mouth..

More
12 years 9 months ago #296227 by Dream Weaver
Spoook, Get someone to get to the chemist and get some "Gees Linctus" Its been around for 50 odd years and is the absolute best. 5 mls sipped slowly in hot water. i bet it will work. I dont bother with any of the new cough mixtures, this is from the old days and it WORKS!!!!

If you want something to inhale, I suggest a few drops of Eucaliptus in boiling water.

More
12 years 9 months ago #296236 by beedee
Gees Linctus is no longer available.. we have a rest home full of residents up in arms missing their nightly fix!!!!

More
12 years 9 months ago #296238 by Prim
Actually, sucking on a lolly will stop you coughing - try it! So, anything from Werthers Originals (my fav, however you spell it!) to Strepsils Cough lozenges will work.

I HTH. Get well soon!

More
12 years 9 months ago #296241 by Xartep

beedee;279189 wrote: Gees Linctus is no longer available.. we have a rest home full of residents up in arms missing their nightly fix!!!!

Its an opiate based medication - I know a pharmacist who lost their license through over generosity with dispensing and not recording.

If you have any poppy seeds in the larder you could make a weak tea to SIP...[:0] Just don't get carried away LOL

Lemon Honey & Ginger works though. Really it does... :)

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 9 months ago #296251 by cowvet
I would recommend that you contact the doctor again - stress the urgency in potential damage and pain you are doing post surgery.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 9 months ago #296268 by spoook
I have rung the doctor, well the nurse, she has read my notes, more like a book by now. When I spoke to her in the end she suggested the doctor wrote a script for Gees linctus, that would make it only $3.00..... I reminded her there would also be a script fee so was uneconomical to have it prescribed. She said she would ring me back.... still waiting.......
I am sure if L gets to chemist and is told he needs a scrip, he will sort it out.

Sneezed just now, now that was an experience [:0]

I have some Shott Lemon, Honey and Ginger and have put that on the bench for my next drink. Amazing all the remedies we do have in the cupboards without knowing [;)]

I suppose the good side is..... it did not happen last week, closer to the op or even before otherwise I am sure they would not have operated.
See, there is always a silver lining, sometimes darn hard to find though.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds