Broken toe?

More
14 years 8 months ago #20047 by Ghilly
Broken toe? was created by Ghilly
Saturday night I whacked my foot into the edge of a paving stone.... the one I did the mossaic of a Kakapo on at one of HP's workshops.

I went a stormy gray colour that night and the next morning was different shades of purple, blue and gray. That night it was purple black and red and today it's purple, blue and gray.

I did a bit of moving my toes today just to see what I could do. I can bend my toes forward and back but when I try to stretch my toes and separate them like I can with the other foot, no message gets through. It's like trying to move someone elses toes with your mind.
It's not horribly swollen but it must be a bit puffy cos it feels odd when I walk.

I haven't gone rushing off to the Dr's cos they don't do anything much for broken toes, maybe strap them to the neighbouring toe but thats about it.

The bruise has moved up onto where my toe joins the foot so it was a fairly decent whack. I heard a crack but that could have been like when someone cracks their knuckles... I don't know.... it bloody hurts though. I'm being rather wary of where I put my foot and of the possiblity of whacking it or getting it stood on by the dogs or even cats. I've already been in low orbit today when darling Koru stood on it.

While I was out mixing up the goat feed my back went into spasm and if I hadn't have had to carry on with what I was doing, I could have quite easily chucked in the whole job and gone back to bed but my babies need their food and to be milked come hell or high water or possible broken toe and iffy back.... so I carried on. I swallowed 3 dinner plate sized panadine and they didn't even cut the edge off the pain... blast and damnit!

I suppose that a few years ago I would have had myself bandaged up to the neck, I'm braving pain a bit more head on and not being such a baby about it. I have been making friends with the wheat bag for my back and I introduced the icepack Kim got me, to my toe on Saturday night....
That's it though. Oooh I is all tough now... whinge about it a bit but no cotton wool and bed and whimpering from under the duvet.
Maybe that's what LSB's do to a body! If you don't do it, no one else will and it has to be done so just do it! Ha harrrrr out there, no one can hear you scream.... or whimper and whinge as the case may be.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #296228 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Broken toe?
Ouch!!! sounds very sore. Try and get some more Arnica, and maybe get some of the Voltaran emu Gel and rub some on as well.

More
14 years 7 months ago #296230 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Broken toe?
It's possible you have broken your toe.

I say this because I have helped nurse two people with broken toes. The pain was sickening, literally, and got worse until they got medical treatment (ie painkilling drugs!). There was no way they could even attempt to move their toe without waves of nausea and shocking pain.

One patient was male, one was female, in case anyone was wondering :D

More
14 years 7 months ago #296239 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Broken toe?
Ouch! Broken toes suck! Done that several times - I am co-ordination challenged LOL.
Arnica orally and on the bruise. Panadol is a waste of time with these things, you need Voltaren, which you can get OTC at the chemist, but you need to sign for it. Voltaren is what you would get at the hospital - I asked when I had pluresy. (Sometimes codine but usually voltaren) Nurofen is the same drug, but a lower dose, some people respond to it better though, might have something to do with the liquid capsule form. It is a NAISD though and you MUST eat with it or you could get stomach bleeds.
Some people also respond very quickly to Glucosamine, it has anti-inflamatory properties. I find 2 capsules takes most of my pain away. The bonus with G is that it also helps with the healing process. If you are a bit poor this week buy the powder from the stock feed agents, and sprinkle on some toast.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 7 months ago #296276 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Broken toe?
Bandaging or using elastoplast to tape it to the next toe will give you some relief and is the standard treatment. Just because its a toe doesn't mean it will be less painful than any larger broken bone! Put some soft lint or folded gauze between the toes first.
I agree oral voltaren will help with the pain a lot but as X says make sure you have them with food. Ibuprofen is not the same drug (v is diclofenac and I is ibuprofen) and I have always found it is not as effective as voltaren though some people swear by it. And arnica is pretty effective too as drops by mouth. Hope you get some relief soon.

More
14 years 7 months ago #296299 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Broken toe?
What happens if the bone is chipped? Do they do anything or just leave as is. Do they xray toes?

Jan

More
14 years 7 months ago #296319 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Broken toe?
Sorry - I was thinking about ACT-3.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 7 months ago #296427 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Broken toe?
After what PG said, it probably isn't broken. I can walk, albeit with a bit of a limp and having Susie Pig stand on it today made my whole world a different colour for a while but I downed some panadine with a nice cup of tea and got on with things. I think the panadine helped, my back was giving me grief as it does every morning with spasms and after some panadine I couldn't feel much pain anywhere.

The goats have been pretty good and haven't managed to stand on my foot... possibly because I lift it up off the ground when I'm standing still, so they can't.

I took some hay in this evening and had to walk in a sort of zig zag fashion so they were always behind me rather than running around and in front of me.

Hey ho....

I can't take anti inflamitories like Voltaren, I could eat a four course meal and they still make me feel sick. The last time the Dr gave them to me, I took them for 2 days and felt so sick, I stopped taking them. I might have been in a bit of pain but that was nothing compared with being in pain and feeling really sick. That was just the pits. Some antibiotics do the same.

Right now I'm just fed up with pain. I've gone past being grumpy with it, now I'm just tired.
I sat in Kims recliner this afternoon with a wheat pack on my back and my eyes at half mast and thought if I don't get up and do something I'm going to fall asleep. The worst thing for back pain is to sit around, and I've heard that a bruised anything needs to be worked a bit or the bruise won't come out... rubbing it is out of the question so moving is the next best thing. I hobbled about behind the lawn mower and got the tiny lawn out the front cut and then loosened a bit of the mat of weeds in the vegetable garden so Grunt and Susie had somewhere to get their snouts in. I dumped the weeds in the chook run so the chooks will think it's Christmas when they get up in the morning. It took me ages but I was moving and not turning to stone.

By the look of the weather report on Te Karere this afternoon it's not going to be very flash weather anywhere over the next few days so getting just the tiniest bit of something done outside is a plus.

I MIGHT even get to bed before midnight the way I'm feeling HA! Now that IS a plus!!!!

Yee haa!

Yakut

More
14 years 7 months ago #296436 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Broken toe?
I'd keep ice on it Yakut, and Jeannielea's suggestion is a good one, wrapping it up so it's kept straight by a neighbouring toe is actually all a dr could do even if your toe is broken.

Are there some shoes you can wear that are slightly too big for you, so you're not knocking it on the inside of a shoe? Preferably ones that are solid at the front, so little hooves can't dance on it?

More
14 years 7 months ago #296483 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Broken toe?
Jan, they do x-ray toes but the treatment is the same for a chip, sprain or break!
Yakut sitting may not be good for backs but lying flat is!!!!

More
14 years 7 months ago #296487 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Broken toe?
I have my gumboots and a pair of schoen boots, like jodper boots but work boots.. sort of.. and a pair of Chris Brasher boots which I think will be too close at the moment. I haven't bothered to try on anything other than my wellies....

I have to stop limping.... it's becoming more habit than anything...

It hurt like hell for a few days but now it's ok as long as I don't bump it or put any pressure on it (like wearing my CB boots).

If any animals, even the cats, come near me, I just hold my foot up off the floor.

Right now, my biggest mission is keeping my eyes open. If I was to shut them for a few minutes, I'd fall asleep. I got up way early for me and I haven't woken up properly. It's a constant source of amazement/astonishment for some that I can actually open my eyes, have a cup of tea and a conversation and fall asleep again like it had never happened.

Yakut

More
14 years 7 months ago #296514 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Broken toe?
Yakat I have one like you she can do the cuppa/talk thing while asleep LOL many other things I'm sure!! As for boots we bought few pairs of gummys with steal toe caps from red shed so that all here have them :) feels good when large animal stands on toe

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds