Fabric and Formaldehyde

More
12 years 9 months ago #19974 by Simkin
I've just done some sewing - and got quite a reaction from using that cotton drill fabric. The skin on my hands is itchy and as dry as skin can be, my eyes are sore, breathing hurts ( a bit), I've got a headache and my mouth feels sore, too.

So I did some googling to see what the culprit could be. I had heard about formaldehyde in clothing before and what I found is spot-on.

I've never experienced anything like this and I do a LOT of sewing.

I think that kind of thing is unacceptable and would like to take it further.

Does anyone know where I can have that fabric tested and how much it costs? As bad as this one is I think it is a health hazzard.

It's in the washing machine now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295413 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Fabric and Formaldehyde
I'm not sure of where you'd get it tested, but if you've washed it, then the formaldehyde will probably be gone. When you buy new clothes (flanelette PJs, especially, I've noticed), it says to wash them before you wear them.

Formaldehyde, from memory, is particularly vapourous and not particularly persistent - by that I mean it washes out easily and disperses into the air.

As for product safety, that is the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs. As it happens, they are investigating formaldehyde in clothing: www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/productsafety/formaldehyde.html You might want to give them a tinkle.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 9 months ago #295483 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Fabric and Formaldehyde
Thanks, Seaside. I'll follow this up.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295492 by Istrian
Replied by Istrian on topic Fabric and Formaldehyde
One should not presume but is the fabric made in China?
Not only formaldehyde but it could be the dyes/dressing & who knows what else applied to the fabric. Anything to make it look good & appealing to customers.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds