How far removed are some people as to how their meat is produced? News report

More
12 years 9 months ago #19968 by reggit
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/2869941/Children-send-lamb-to-slaughter

I would say that the teaching module was successful in giving them a realistic idea of what happens with most farm animals if they were able to make this decision.

Also seems to me another indication of how far removed many adults now are of the way their meat is produced.

It would be a different story if the teachers had decided against the children's wishes, but the kids made the call.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295291 by devan
I think those kids showed maturity and realism.... the bloody adults need to grow up!

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295296 by Organix

Stuff wrote: The decision has provoked fury among animal-loving celebrities, animal and human rights campaigners and the parents of some of the children, and led to threats against Lydd primary school and its teachers, according to a member of staff.

I'm betting that a good few of those misguided people that were against the slaughter weren't vegetarians. So where the hell do they think their Sunday roast comes from? :confused:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 9 months ago #295307 by NZ Appaloosas
From the grocery store, all nicely wrapped up in plastic on a little styrofoam tray..surely you know that in today's world, we don't need animals for meat, just the grocery stores!!!! (note, that funny looking bulge in my face is my tongue firmly planted in cheek!)

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295308 by Sue
Interesting!
I'm pleased the project went through to its conclusion as was planned!

Did anyone watch the F word series where Gordon Ramsay reared turkeys, pigs and lambs in his back garden and sent them off to slaughter, having introduced his kids to the reality of where food comes from, and followed through the stages from birth to slaughter on TV. I thought he dealt with the subject quite well too.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295315 by NZ Appaloosas
Love that show, Sue! Even when my daughter was little, her idea of naming cattle, etc., was "mignon", "t-bone", etc.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295317 by Toast
Great programme by that school. They're trying not to let the students become the adults who did the criitcising, if you get what I mean!

Gordon R's programme was very good, both for his kids & for the public. There was a lot of information there too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
12 years 9 months ago #295371 by sod
Please don't lose sight of the fact some people will do anything to get noticed so this seemed a good "band wagon"to get on. Great the kids and school got on with learning:)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 9 months ago #295372 by reggit
Agree sod. Pity the furore seems to have closed down the future of the programme by the sound of it...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 9 months ago #295376 by charlotte1
After seeing a cow with its throat cut laid on its back while the butcher was cutting off its legs, my 3 yr old was very wide eyed but the 5 yr old was keen to watch. Not a planned thing by any means we were on the way back from feeding the calves and the butcher happened to come bright and early in the morning.

Walking past the beef cows this afternoon mr3 said "Those are meat cows". They know that the calf club calves are going to be milking cows (jerseys).

I personally are happy in the knowledge that the meat arrives in all bagged/boxed up. I usually have nothing to do with the beefie mob.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295407 by JEF

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds