Greenpeace Palm Kernal Protest

More
12 years 9 months ago #19964 by Organix
I hear that Greenpeace are presently blocking the docking/unloading of a palm kernal ship at Mt. Maunganui this morning. This could get interesting.... :cool:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295290 by reggit
Just read the article online...

So...Fonterra says that it only imports a small amount of palm kernel and has found a sustainable source.

Does RD1 import it? Isn't RD1 owned by Fonterra, or have I got my wires crossed on this?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 9 months ago #295311 by Xartep
RD1 is the Fonterra retail arm, for dairy farmers yes. Can't remember what they used to be called - changed the name about 7 years ago. RD1 is a play on the fact that most dairy farms are Rural Delivery.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 9 months ago #295314 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Greenpeace Palm Kernal Protest
It used to be called Anchormart I think...

Web Goddess

More
12 years 9 months ago #295319 by Xartep
It was definitely something like that, a strong dairy flavor. I think they recognised that the lifestlye revolution was coming and the current branding made them "elitist" (for lack of a better term). The RD1 brand makes them a Rural Supplies outlet for all size endeavors.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 9 months ago #295331 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Greenpeace Palm Kernal Protest
I thought we had already discussed the subject of Palm Kernal and had been advised that the product that is imported into New Zealand (whether by Fontera or RD1) is a waste product that would be burnt off etc if not useable for cattle feed in New Zealand.

Tonight on TV1 News we had the story about apple growers who are going bankrupt and/or pulling out trees as they cannot rely or survive the fluctuations of the New Zealand dollar - driven by the USA investors and economy - and I am left shaking my head about why we are concerned about what is happening in the forests overseas when it is our exporters who make money for New Zealand (including Fonterra), pay the bills and is our own back yard.

The Palm Kernal Oil is going to continue to be planted and harvested. Do the people in those countries have a Welfare system to pay them to sit around and do nothing? Why attack NZ for using a waste product that is nothing more than a waste product of an industry that their countries deem necessary for the survival of their people. Dairy Farming/Palm Kernal Oil farming? Oh that's right - dairy farming is being attacked as well as the ultimate polluters while we have thermal spings all over the country. Is Rotorua for example going to be stung for their carbon emissions. Greenpeace - where are you?

More
12 years 9 months ago #295345 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Greenpeace Palm Kernal Protest
Didi I walk into ''independent'' greengrocers and main player supermarkets and see nectarines, peaches etc all cheaply (cheaper than in season fruit grown here) and E says i want some nectarines.... but they are all made in the USA and imported here and I shake my head for the local industries here....

beaut oranges from kerikeri and where the heck are they here but I can buy nice aussie ones? (not knocking those coming from there but geese).

More
12 years 9 months ago #295385 by reggit
As a matter of interest, if we are talking about supporting our own, as Didi mentions...does anyone know what the impact of this 'cheap' imported PKE having on the viability of NZ maize and feed growers? I can understand in a drought situation all hands to the deck etc, feed what you can but what about in a non-drought year?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 9 months ago #295386 by Simkin

tigger;278236 wrote: As a matter of interest, if we are talking about supporting our own, as Didi mentions...does anyone know what the impact of this 'cheap' imported PKE having on the viability of NZ maize and feed growers? I can understand in a drought situation all hands to the deck etc, feed what you can but what about in a non-drought year?

Make bio fuel from it[}:)]

More
12 years 9 months ago #295406 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic Greenpeace Palm Kernal Protest

Xartep;278159 wrote: RD1 is the Fonterra retail arm, for dairy farmers yes. Can't remember what they used to be called - changed the name about 7 years ago. RD1 is a play on the fact that most dairy farms are Rural Delivery.

I think it was called anchor mart

More
12 years 9 months ago #295509 by betenoir
Swaggie, the answer is all the best stuff is exported and us residents are left with the seconds[xx(]. I could buy better quality lamb/apples in the Uk than in any NZ supermarket. It even occurs on a local level. I can't find any decent kumaras in Waikato...the stuff in the supermarkets and veggie shops would be 'pig food grade' in Dargaville, which is the main growing area.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
12 years 9 months ago #295511 by Organix

betenoir;278372 wrote: Swaggie, the answer is all the best stuff is exported and us residents are left with the seconds[xx(]. I could buy better quality lamb/apples in the Uk than in any NZ supermarket. It even occurs on a local level. I can't find any decent kumaras in Waikato...the stuff in the supermarkets and veggie shops would be 'pig food grade' in Dargaville, which is the main growing area.

That's pretty much true but the reason is that the produce returns far more to the grower when exported than if put on the domestic NZ market. There are very few New Zealanders that would consider paying double or triple for their apples, avocados, fish, cut flowers, steak, etc, etc so we are supplied with the appropriate grade to suit our budgets. When was the last time You paid retail price for a crayfish ? [:0]

The grower/producer/fisherman is not to blame as they are running a business to maximise their returns. Blame a combination of globalisation and currency inequalities. :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 9 months ago #295550 by bsadler
but on the upside you get to eat better mangoes than the average indian

More
12 years 9 months ago #295561 by drifter

tigger: As a matter of interest, if we are talking about supporting our own, as Didi mentions...does anyone know what the impact of this 'cheap' imported PKE having on the viability of NZ maize and feed growers?

NZ maize growers are like everybody else at the moment, stuck between a rock and a hard place :( There are reports of unsold crops still standing in the paddocks but it's doubtful that this is solely due PKE.
The price per kg of dry matter that the contractors need to recover to make a profit has priced it off the market for farmers, who also need to make a profit.
There is also considerable farmer resistance to buying maize after the actions of many maize contractors during the drought.

PKE isn't just cheaper per kg/dm it's also more palatable to the cows, easier and cheaper to feed, store, and ,most importantly, is available when required.
Maize is trickier to feed than PKE and takes more care so that health issues don't arise.

Farmers were actively looking for an alternative to maize and found it in PKE. For many the choice wasn't between maize or PKE, it was between PKE or nothing. And more than a few chose the nothing option.

The nature of the recession is that everyone looks for the best bang for their buck more aggressively than during the good times. With the average dairy farm operating on a $58,000 loss this season they too are stuck between that rock and that hard place :(

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295582 by PRU2
Replied by PRU2 on topic Greenpeace Palm Kernal Protest
And the point is everyone is profit driven.
By feeding all this 'extra' cheap feed ( I question this because there has been a hell of a lot of money spent on feedlots, and machinery to feed it out the PKE) a farmer can graze more cows to the ha. Then we have the problem of extreme weather patterns, too many cows too few options. Farmers are overgrazing paddocks, these are not producing like they should so farmer joe puts on more n to get a flush of growth, causing more metabolic problems more expense. My Opinion for what it is worth is, Some farmers need to pull their heads in and actually calculate the viability of increasing production to the detriment of the land and the stock. It is nearly two years since the big drought and there are still a hell of a lot skinny cows out there. The only good fat cow these days is a heifer that hasn't been through the mill of producing..yet.

An artical I read last week highlighted this delema, where a young couple have cut back their stocking rate from around 3.4 cows per ha to 2.9 and are in a better financial position than they were a few months back.

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds