For MM and Tigger esp

More
14 years 7 months ago #1996 by beedee
For MM and Tigger esp was created by beedee
By Amy Norton
Tue Nov 27, 12:38 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Adding to evidence that a little wine can do a heart good, a new study suggests that women who drink moderate amounts may have less inflammation in their blood vessels.

ADVERTISEMENT

Spanish researchers found that after four weeks of drinking two glasses of wine per day, women showed lower levels of certain inflammatory substances in their blood. The findings, reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, suggest a mechanism by which wine -- particularly red wine -- may protect the heart.

Numerous studies have found that wine drinkers tend to have lower rates of heart disease than teetotalers do. Research also suggests that higher levels of "good" HDL cholesterol may be one reason, though not a full explanation of the benefit.

Figuring out exactly how wine may protect the heart is important in order to prove that the link between wine and heart health is, in fact, a direct one, according to Dr. Emilio Sacanella, the lead researcher on the new study.

Studies that show wine drinkers to have better heart health do not prove that wine is the reason, explained Sacanella, of the University of Barcelona. Wine lovers may, for example, have generally better diets, higher exercise levels or other heart-healthy habits, he told Reuters Health.

For their study, Sacanella and his colleagues focused on the potential effects of wine on inflammation. Inflammation is part of the body's response to injury. It's thought that chronic, low-level inflammation -- in response to stresses like smoking, high cholesterol and obesity -- contributes to the buildup of fatty deposits called plaques in the inner lining of the arteries.

Inflammation may also make these plaques more likely to rupture and create a blood clot that could then trigger a heart attack.

Sacanella's team recruited 35 healthy women who regularly drank amounts of wine. Each woman spent four weeks on a heart-healthy, but wine-free, diet, followed by four weeks in which they had a glass of red wine with lunch and dinner. They followed the same pattern with white wine.

Overall, the study found, the women's HDL levels climbed after four weeks of drinking, while their blood levels of a number of inflammatory substances, such as C-reactive protein, declined. Red wine had a more pronounced effect than white wine.

The greater benefit of red wine may be related to its higher concentration of polyphenols, according to the researchers. Polyphenols are plant compounds that act as antioxidants and may help reduce inflammation.

According to Sacanella, population studies have suggested that people who drink moderate amounts of wine -- about a glass or two per day -- may lower their risk of dying from heart disease by nearly one-third compared with non-drinkers.

"So a person who usually drinks up to this quantity of alcohol should maintain this healthy habit," he said.

However, he added, doctors cannot recommend that non-drinkers take up the habit, as some people are vulnerable to drinking problems and the health consequences that come with that.

SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, November 2007.
;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #67028 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic For MM and Tigger esp
I knew it was for me own good!

More
14 years 7 months ago #67037 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic For MM and Tigger esp
But I can't drink! [V] Soooo unfair. Canyou find one that extols the virtues of drinking lots of coffee and eating lots of chocolate? [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #67038 by maggies mum
Lifes a bitch eh! ;)

More
14 years 7 months ago #67043 by reggit
You can have my share of wine if I can have your share of chocolate, MM [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #67046 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic For MM and Tigger esp
T, did you sneak and drink coffee prior to your blood test the other week????? coffee puts cholesterol into the circulating system, and so gives false HIGHS[}:)] not that yours was high[8D].. yes dark choc has the antioxidants, the hormonal stimuli for peace calm and tranquility, and improves general good health.. which means since i dont drink, eat choco and can only have very weak coffee.. I should be long gone[xx(]

More
14 years 7 months ago #67049 by reggit
No beedee, I was good, it was a fasting blood test so I had to stagger down before I had even had my bowl of porridge! :(

Yes, the calming bit is the reason I eat chocolate, of course [}:)] and the coffee is to counteract the calming chocolate when action is needed! [8D]

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #67054 by maggies mum

quote:Originally posted by tigger

You can have my share of wine if I can have your share of chocolate, MM [}:)]

[:0][:0][:0]

NEVER!!![}:)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #67086 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic For MM and Tigger esp
So I am right in packing dark chocolate in my hospital bag! Yayyyyyy. Not sure I could sneak in the red wine :p

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 7 months ago #67089 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic For MM and Tigger esp
Take the inside bladder from a pack of decent 'chateau cardboard' and hang it from a drip stand with a length of plastic hose attached...vin de iv[:I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 7 months ago #67116 by beedee
spoook, thats a definite... as for the red wine. I thought they serve that with the dinner tray from day two onwards... but the staff are very used to folk going through the DT's that they will close their eyes to anyfink.. for peace and cooperation.. just think it will soothe those blood vessels while they heal.. who needs heparin.. tell them you have sundowners syndrome:D:D:D[8D][}:)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #67118 by reggit

quote:Originally posted by beedee

tell them you have sundowners syndrome:D:D:D[8D][}:)]

That's no fun during daylight savings, having to wait an extra hour!! [}:)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #67136 by beedee
nah ....they just start earlier... or ... finish later..:D:D:D.. tis sortta funy, these mild gentle folk suddenly become sooo aggressive about 2-3 pm.. and look out at 6pm

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds