Horse treks

More
12 years 9 months ago #19949 by devan
Horse treks was created by devan
I want to get back into the treks this summer. I've got the schedule from "hoofcamp" and they seem to have 1 a month except for december. Is there any other places that organise treks? I'm looking for resonably local but i'm happy to travel an hour or 2, have my own horses so not looking for "riding school" type treks....more the organised ones where they feed you and stuff :)

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295089 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Horse treks
Dunno, but do you know anyone who might want jake? SOH rode him down the forestry block last week and Jake panicked on a downwards track and reared up and hit SOH full on in the face.

A huge black eye, cut under the eye and broken front teeth..... Jake would still be good for dressage, but not other farming stuff. SOH can see why i haven't been riding him....[B)][B)] :(

More
12 years 9 months ago #295130 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Horse treks
Oh man, sorry to hear things aren't working out with Jake - that sucks!!
Sundays

More
12 years 9 months ago #295134 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Horse treks
swaggie - have you considered getting Jake "Vet tested" to see if there is something wrong with him? John Ewen at Ewen Veterinary in Drury saved my daughter a huge amount of grief when "vetting" a beautiful and expensive horse. He didn't say why but insisted that we trialed the horse at home for seven days. We did - the sedative wore off in three and the horse was basically pet food! Stuffed shoulder.

What I am trying to say is that it would be good for you to know what is causing problems with the horse and if he is pet food at the end of the day, there is no point passing a troubled horse on to someone else to deal with. You will get closure either way with advise from someone who really knows what to look for.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295137 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Horse treks
Swaggie, have you considered using a trainer to get Jake back in line? I know a few that I have seen get good results with horses with similar problems. I can PM you the names if you are interested.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
12 years 9 months ago #295186 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Horse treks
Swaggie, I'm sorry to hear about Jake. I would agree with Didi and BT, that a vet check and even a small amount of training, especially some natural horsemanship techniques, can do wonders for both horse and rider.

If he's a nice horse, it's definitely worth it. My relationship with all my horses, especially one very nervy mare I had, was changed forever after learning just a few natural horsemanship techniques (all on the ground, none under saddle).

I've also had really good outcomes with my ex brood mare, Baby. She was very agressive, but is a real sweetie nowadays.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295217 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Horse treks
Hmmmmm sorry to hear about Jake mate. I still have blue at home if you would like to come and try him? I was planning on riding him and Dallas to get them fit for a trek i'm doing at the end of november. The friend of mine who actually owns blue is coming with me so i have to get both of them going but you are most welcome to do it for me [;)] and then just hang on to him for as long as you like. Personally i don't like TB's and would never get one, and i would imagine that Jake has pretty much blown your confidence now which is a real shame. I would just stick him on trade me if i was you and get rid of him but be honest about why and make sure that you state he needs a confident rider. There is a chick out west that buys tb's and schools them up, nice lady and awesome rider, but she won't pay much for him. pm me if you would like her details.
Actually theres the lady i bought wings from who is local that might buy him too.

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295320 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Horse treks

devan;278058 wrote: Hmmmmm sorry to hear about Jake mate. I still have blue at home if you would like to come and try him? I was planning on riding him and Dallas to get them fit for a trek i'm doing at the end of november. The friend of mine who actually owns blue is coming with me so i have to get both of them going but you are most welcome to do it for me [;)] and then just hang on to him for as long as you like. Personally i don't like TB's and would never get one, and i would imagine that Jake has pretty much blown your confidence now which is a real shame. I would just stick him on trade me if i was you and get rid of him but be honest about why and make sure that you state he needs a confident rider. There is a chick out west that buys tb's and schools them up, nice lady and awesome rider, but she won't pay much for him. pm me if you would like her details.
Actually theres the lady i bought wings from who is local that might buy him too.

Sounds good Devan if you would provide those details, I have him on trademe at the mo (no picture) outlining what I reckon is the ideal home. I tried to get back in contact with the Girl selling him from Buckland, however I have deleted her mobile off my telephone, but if its to be believed, there was a riding school who bidding against me...:rolleyes:

anyhow so not to hijack your thread, was it you, D or my other neighbour down K Road who told me there is a trek out this way through farmland later this year? Apparently newsletters have gone out to the local pony club members and its riding through farmland up around your side of the map.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295329 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Horse treks
Have you tried asking at your hunt club devan? It's the off season so most are running treks over the summer. I've been emailed about a few that are a bit more full on 2-3 day fundraisers which I reckon would be a great way to see the country :)

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
12 years 9 months ago #295409 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Horse treks
Oh ok i'll try the local adult riding club, they might know of some. I think i told you about the guy down the rd who wants to organise one around xmas time, but i wasn't aware of anything actually being done yet.
Swaggie i'll pm you those details, i have the local lady's number at work but the other one is at home.
I would also put a picture on trade me.... personally i wouldn't even ring up about a horse unless i got a look at a photo 1st. Hey drifter could you pm me if you hear back about any of those other ones please?

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds