Broadband cost in remote areas?

More
12 years 9 months ago #19787 by Isla
What does your broadband cost you on a monthly basis? Are you delighted or disappointed in the increase in speed over dial-up (was your dial-up speed really awful, or reasonably good?)?

Peer pressure is starting to get to me, but if plans are still close to $100/mth, I don't know that I wish to forgo my weekly bottle of wine yet. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #293017 by Andrea1
We're paying $70/month for ours, with approximately a $700 set up cost (which included some extras that you'd probably not need, not living in a house-full of techo-nerds). I can't believe the difference in speed!! We're using Rural Link/No 8 Wireless for ours, after having checked out farmside (ouchly expensive, plus you have to contract to a certain length of time) and scorch (which is probably just a local one), and one other whose name escapes at the moment. They were all much more expensive, set-up wise. Oh, and we have a data cap of 3 GB, and when we've gone over that, it's a $1/1 MB, and they don't slow down the service either. Our highest bill had been $73 for the month, and that's with 3 people online at once, and DS downloading all kinds of linux and open source stuff. Dial-up speed was really awful.

Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 9 months ago #293018 by kate
We pay $70 a month too, with netspeed.net.nz

If you can change your phone over to world xchange then you can save about $50 a month on phone bills so it shouldn't work out much more expensive than a Telecom phone line and dial up Internet :D :D

I paid the $700 for setup but I know friends got a big discount when Farmside had a Fieldays special on...

The difference is huge!!!

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 9 months ago #293022 by Isla
Second question: do you maintain a land-line telephone connection? What happens when the power goes off, there's heavy rain, etc.?

I have dialup which will stay connected without error all day, can upload photo files of 20Mb if I need to (I go out and walk around the hills for three or four hours while it happens, of course) and so reliability is not an issue, as long as I'm not trying to do something really quickly. It is rare that it seriously affects my ability to do what I need to. The dial-up connections others report wouldn't allow such things.

More
12 years 9 months ago #293042 by powerguy
Mine is the base package offered by Rural Inzone through CRT. $50/month for 256/64 with 500M data cap. I couldn't see the Ipstarsat so others were not an option. Dialup was terrible and being on a multiplex phone line reliability was a real problem. Have only had it for less than a day so can't really offer any more except "Porcus jubilatum in excreta"

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
12 years 9 months ago #293045 by witheze
Farmside $300 install and from 49.95 per month...must have sighting to western sky.....Ipstar [farmside [rocket] love it! But still pay 10.00 a month to xtra for carting laptop around.

More
12 years 9 months ago #293146 by beedee
$70/mth with #8 andI think $10 for WorldX ph.. the power thing doesnt worry me, When I was on dial up, as the copper wire usually went first, that is fell off the power pole before the power line did.. and I have cell ph unless that tower is blown out also.
My dial up had got so bad that it really took all morning to send a few Emails

More
12 years 9 months ago #293156 by max2
I have a bit under rural broadband in the next section.... I do hope you can read it sometime.

More
12 years 9 months ago #293162 by FraSla
The thing with the likes of Telecom is they don't tell you about he latest promotions unless you regurlarly ring and ask. Last year we broke our Farmside contract to get Telecom broadband which cost about $300 but that was what we were paying some months anyway because we were using over the alloted Gb quota. So we changed to Telecom, started on 3gb with 4 adults using it, quickly went up to 10gb which cost $59 per month. Lost people in the house but between 2 of of we were using more than 10gb per month. A couple of months ago mum rung up about a promotion that waws advertised in the paper, was told of a different one and now for $10 more we are on unlimited.

We are the end of the line in our district for broadband.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I'm open minded and I'm looking to learn something everyday. [:D]

More
12 years 9 months ago #293169 by Andrea1
Sounds like prices vary wildly/widely all up and down the country! We had very few options open to us in the first place, so went with the best (cheapest!) option.

Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 9 months ago #293172 by Isla

swaggie;275820 wrote: I have a bit under rural broadband in the next section.... I do hope you can read it sometime.

Will mind-reading come with broadband then? [;)] The next section?

More
12 years 9 months ago #293193 by beedee
Cant you read it Isla,??? obviously you dont have your personal antennae on ;)

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds