Copying a few pages in Word

• Jack
12 years 9 months ago #19765 by Jack
Copying a few pages in Word was created by Jack
Gidday

My wife has almost finished writing a book. She wants me to send it one chapter at a time to someone to read it through for her.

My question is, how the hell do I copy just a certain few pages, like a dozen or something out of over a couple of hundred pages? Like chapter 2 goes from page 16 to 34 and chapter 3 goes from page 34 to 48.

To highlight a few pages like that is no easy feat or feet either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #292730 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Copying a few pages in Word
"
  • On the Formatting toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.), click Highlight http://office.microsoft.com/global/images/default.aspx?AssetID=ZA060449451033.
  • Select the text or graphic you want to highlight.
  • To turn off highlighting, click the button again, or press ESC.
As someone who does this sort of thing from time to time, I would have saved the book as separate files for each chapter. Highlight each chapter as above and then save the appropriate pages as chapter 1, chapter 2 and so on.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 9 months ago #292735 by George
Replied by George on topic Copying a few pages in Word
I agree that it would have been better to save each chapter as a different file but it is too late for that now.

I always find highlighting using the mouse is tricky so I use the keyboard instead. Click where you want to start copying. Then press and hold down the shift key. While still holding down the shift key, use the mouse to scroll down to where you want to stop copying and click there. As long as you kept the shift key pressed everything in between the first click and the second click would be highlighted. The either click the copy button or press ctrl + c (to copy) and go to a new document and click the paste button or press ctrl + v (to paste).

Hope that helps.

George

More
12 years 9 months ago #292761 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Copying a few pages in Word
Highlighting and Selecting are not the same thing. Highlighting just paints things a different colour, Selecting is a preparation for a further action.

First, get familiar with navigating a word document - there are 2 main methods.
1 - the scroll bar (on the right hand side). Either use the arrows at the top and bottom, or grab the slider (click and hold the left mouse button on it), and drag it up and down.
2 - The mouse scroll wheel (most meeces have them). Roll up and down to roll the document up and down

There is also a third method, however this operates by touching the page, and moves the curser.
3 - the keyboard page buttons. Page up and Page Down. Arrow up and Down. Ctrl-Home (beginning of the document), and Ctrl-End (end of the document).

The secret to selecting large sections of the document, is selecting the start point, navigate down to the end point, then holding Shift while selecting the end point. This will select the whole selection between. Then you can copy and paste to another separate word doc.

Another more cumbersome option is to make duplicates of the file, rename them to Chapter 1, Chapter 2 etc, then dive into each one and delete the portions you don't need.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
12 years 9 months ago #292772 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Copying a few pages in Word
How have the chapters been separated? Is it by
a) loads of carriage returns to force the next chapter to a new page
b) inserting a page break between chapters (and not using them for any other use (eg putting a graphic on a new page0
c) using section breaks.
d) using heading styles (eg new chapter = heading 1 style)
How are you planning on printing it out? this might sound daft, but are you printing it to paper or say pdf?

if you can tell me how the chapters are separated I can write you a macro to print it chapter by chapter. It is what I currently do for a living.

• Jack
12 years 9 months ago #292779 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Copying a few pages in Word
Gidday

Thanks. A big help.

Yes it should have been a new file per chapter. But it is easier to read through all in one and see how it flows.

I know bugger all about how computers work best and she know a lot less so it"s like the blind leading the blind.

Thanks again

Cheers

• Jack
12 years 9 months ago #292782 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Copying a few pages in Word
Gidday

Moggy and Wyseyes I didn't see you replies before I just posted.

As to how the chapters are separated, well like I said above, we realy know bugger all. They are not separated. And that is what makes it so dificult for me.

And at this stage I am just wanting to put them into separate documents so they can be emailed one at a time at this stage.

I have managed to send 3 now and there is about another 20 to go. And my friend who is reading it through is saying it looks pretty good so far.

So fingers crossed Eh!

More
12 years 9 months ago #292835 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Copying a few pages in Word
Get a gooogle account, and put it into documents then whoever ya wanna share it with.. I do that for big items and my photos, and share calendar.. means that person can read/see without too much problem in the downloading..it all sits out in cyber space.. and if I am at another puter I can access it without problems

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds