Do you have children?

More
14 years 3 months ago #316718 by Westie
Replied by Westie on topic Do you have children?

kiwi_jon;273833 wrote: Do cats count? :)

Of course they do :D

A few more childless people that I would have expected, seems a waste not to raise a child on a LSB, but by the time you can afford one the kids have flown the coup or never got around to having any...:rolleyes:

What's that I just stepped in?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #316730 by OakhengeFarm
Replied by OakhengeFarm on topic Do you have children?
Yes, Westie, but there are also many people (like us) who move to a lifestyle block so the kids have more room to run around! So from that point of view I was also surprised at the number of childless LSB'ers.

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
14 years 3 months ago #316740 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Do you have children?
maybe they have all left home ! my two have, but I have 5 g/kids that come to stay & enjoy the lifestyle, collecting eggs is on top of the list, followed by feeding the sheep dog biscuits & every dog has a collar & lead attached & is taken for a walk. Making huts in the flax bushes & looking for eels in the stream is right up there as well. Their mothers can't understand why the kids are in bed every night by 6.30 when they come to stay with Oma !

More
14 years 3 months ago #316741 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Do you have children?

Stu_R;301938 wrote: nope :( .. they tell me i need a wife or g/f to have kids .. as neither of above ,, no kids , and days like today kids or wife would have been great just to pass me things while trying to do sheep by myself :)

oh dear, I have read your post Stu whilst under the influence... let me say as a spouse that WE have many more uses than that, and its taken for granted that we do above and beyond passing things on ya know![;)][;)]

... and geese those who have us (rural women) at their beck and call could sometimes do with some sock pulling up sometimes [}:)][}:)][}:)] not only do we ''pass things along'' as we get the odd rear hind leg in the face or chest and still manage to get dinner on the table (as well as into the refrigerator) later on.

Ho hum, woe is me tonight.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:[;)][;)] :D

More
14 years 3 months ago #316744 by max2

Westie;301947 wrote: Of course they do :D

A few more childless people that I would have expected, seems a waste not to raise a child on a LSB, but by the time you can afford one the kids have flown the coup or never got around to having any...:rolleyes:

therein lies another issue, I know of a lovely local couple who would just love a child to share it all with, but it hasn't come their way.... and if there was someone I could give a dream to, it would be them.

My MIL had 8 pregs before they decided adoption was the next option for them, and SOH and the SIL from hell were it. Sometimes people make lifestyle/rural/farming decisions to help them along the way, sometimes things just don't happen the way we all think they will.....

but all the best for those who do live in hope and keep trying in a loving way. its a credit to those who can and do hold their bits together through those initial times..... :) :)

And, after thought, how many on here may be same sex loving couples who haven't made the adoption/donation issue a big thing in the life decision yet?

More
14 years 3 months ago #316748 by The Kats Place
I know what you are saying stuR. I did the lambs tails on my own. I also cleaned up a flystuck lamb recently on my own. Its amazing what you can do if you have to.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #317245 by PepperGiz
Replied by PepperGiz on topic Do you have children?
Interesting read this thread! :)

I have two (but you probably already guessed that lol). Aged 4 and 1. Two is enough for us, no more planned.

As for changing your view on things, I have the same values, morals and beliefs on most things now that I did before I had kids. But have found that I'm less inclined to worry about what people think of me, I have better and more important things to do with my time than that now. And I think I'm less selfish. Before kids I used to worry about giving up the things in life that I enjoyed, but now that I have kids, they take priority, although I do ensure I find slots here and there to allow myself some enjoyment in things other than kids, those things that I once worried I couldn't live without, are no longer a big deal.

More
14 years 3 months ago #317755 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Do you have children?

Westie;301947 wrote: A few more childless people that I would have expected, seems a waste not to raise a child on a LSB, but by the time you can afford one the kids have flown the coup or never got around to having any...

Not that kids were ever part of the plan for us anyway, but looking at economics in the cold light of day, no way on our incomes we could have afforded an LSB if we'd had kids.

And that's scary, as our incomes ain't too bad, and our LSB wasn't too expensive compared to most round here!! :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 3 months ago #317781 by max2
Perhaps it comes back to what constitutes an LSB though?

Some are just huge garden blocks, some are right out there with the Good Life theme, and some are just wasted except for the lone wacky bakky plant out the back and a few chicks up the front.. all come in various shapes and forms, and at all price ranges.

More
14 years 3 months ago #317785 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Do you have children?
Buying a LSB is possible on a low income and I know that. Our first LSB meant we had to live on less that a family on the Benefit at the time but I grew our vegetables and thankfully in those days, was able to barter with neighbours for services. People also lent each other their tools in those days as well!

Second LSB, we bought a derelect house on a beautiful piece of land - with no water connected yet a couple of troughs around. We lived on the smell of an oil rag to do it on one income and me doing everything on the Block, including renovating the house gradually. Hubby had his own business so certain things were able to be put through the business - his vehicle, petrol, homekill etc but we did it.

Does anyone know how to convert the value of a dollar in 1988 to 2010? It would be interesting to know how they equate in terms of value then for purchasing a LSB and todays $1.

More
14 years 3 months ago #317789 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Do you have children?

DiDi;303113 wrote: ...
Does anyone know how to convert the value of a dollar in 1988 to 2010? It would be interesting to know how they equate in terms of value then for purchasing a LSB and todays $1.

Try this link from the Reserve Bank:
www.rbnz.govt.nz/statistics/0135595.html
My calcs for first Quarter 1988 in the category of Housing gave $1 then equal to $3.55 in the third quarter of 2009 (which was the closest available figure to 2010).

More
14 years 3 months ago #317792 by max2

DiDi;303113 wrote: Buying a LSB is possible on a low income and I know that. Our first LSB meant we had to live on less that a family on the Benefit at the time but I grew our vegetables and thankfully in those days, was able to barter with neighbours for services. People also lent each other their tools in those days as well!

Second LSB, we bought a derelect house on a beautiful piece of land - with no water connected yet a couple of troughs around. We lived on the smell of an oil rag to do it on one income and me doing everything on the Block, including renovating the house gradually. Hubby had his own business so certain things were able to be put through the business - his vehicle, petrol, homekill etc but we did it.

there has been a couple of recent articles in various NZ publications of late of people pulling their bits out to grow their own and feed their family and survive, not on new subdivisions, but just what they could afford at the time.

My aunty ( once a waitress feeding 2 toddlers on a single wage in her own home) had many wise words for me when I was this and that about whether we should have a 2nd child or not, and whilst we didn't go through with another baby (I had a stroke when E was 2) and SOH was permanently fixed, she is a great example of how you can still be buying your own home, work hard, raise a couple of kids and get by.

No one says its fun all the time, no one had multiple piercings, tattoes, flashly hair or nails, but I know my aunt has a great circle of friends and support from those days that has seen her move on and love her growing family of grandchildren.

More
14 years 3 months ago #317953 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Do you have children?

DiDi;303113 wrote: Does anyone know how to convert the value of a dollar in 1988 to 2010? It would be interesting to know how they equate in terms of value then for purchasing a LSB and todays $1.

...and household running costs too [;)] esp stuff like fuel and power...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 3 months ago #318025 by max2
I don't know that you would get an accurate conversion for property, there are so many variables between properties and their market worth.

How could you be sure its apples for apples and not apples for sugar coated apple pie when talking of purchasing/comparing then and now for a LSB?

More
14 years 3 months ago #318231 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Do you have children?
But also remember what the interest rates were back then!

We bought our first 13 acres in 1975 for $32,000. Built a house on it in 1978,another $30k had to put in a well for water($10K), which cost a third of what it cost to build the house!
We had 3 mortgages and interest rates went up to 17% in the early 80's and two small children as well, luckily we both worked full time. I had 7 days in the maternity home and straight back to work-baby came too!

All I remember it was just as hard to live and pay mortgages then as it is now and we never thought we would do it but you just do. We started off on our LSB in our mid 20's, land, kids and mortgages too, so I think it is all relative whether its the '70s, 80's or '10s!

Even though it might depend on what part of the country you are, higher priced LSB's are often in areas with higher paying jobs!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds