Do you have children?

More
14 years 7 months ago #292502 by sssnake
Replied by sssnake on topic Do you have children?
Ronney I would say you have children who are now adults :)

My other guess would be you are no longer in a relationship with their father

Let me know how I did........ :D

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292555 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Do you have children?
sssnakes, given that I make no secret of my family relationships on this site, it wouldn't be too hard to work out that I have adult children.

I have a 38 year old daughter and the relationship with her father went out the window 36 years ago but I continue to have contact with him and his family including the woman he eventually married and their children. The man I married and became my daughters stepfather is now dead.

I have two stepchildren that I took over at the ages of 8 and 9 after their mother died. I've been in a relationship with their father for 15 years. So your partially right and partially wrong.

I doubt that children altered my personality very much at all, what they did do was broaden my horizons and present new challenges.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 7 months ago #292713 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Do you have children?

Ronney;275174 wrote: I doubt that children altered my personality very much at all, what they did do was broaden my horizons and present new challenges.

Cheers,
Ronnie

But doesn't that "change" (grow, if you prefer) your personality, as you now have aspects/points of view/life experience that you would not have had you not had interaction with those children?

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292736 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Do you have children?
We have a friend with 4 gowen up children and married she always says that the one without children seems to have less time for people,patience and understanding than the three that do have them. JUST her thoughts OK

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 7 months ago #292747 by sssnake
Replied by sssnake on topic Do you have children?

sssnakes, given that I make no secret of my family relationships on this site, it wouldn't be too hard to work out that I have adult children

That may well be true, but not how I reached my own conclusions :)

Another reason for not giving the motive behind the poll was to avoid being asked "do I or don't I?"

Polls tell you far more about those running the poll than those being polled[;)][;)][;)]

Dunno about that [;)]

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

More
14 years 7 months ago #292792 by Ronney

NZ Appaloosas;275344 wrote: But doesn't that "change" (grow, if you prefer) your personality, as you now have aspects/points of view/life experience that you would not have had you not had interaction with those children?

Diane

No Diane, I would argue that. But then it might depend on one's interpretation of "personality". To me a "personality" is what a person intrinsically or inherently is so while children may widen horizons, they are not going to change what a person is. And nor should they.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 7 months ago #292793 by NZ Appaloosas
Okay, to define "change of personality", I would say that as one goes thru' life, experiencing things, one's personality gains depth (hopefully), and 'changes' in the way we look at things, i.e., where we might have been impatient as children/young adults, having/raising/working with small children we learn wonder and patience with the way they see things (and constant "but why" questions! LOL), so the changes can be considered 'small', but so enriching.

On the other hand, I've seen people who were classic Type A personalities turn into total mooshes once they've had kid, and work, the all-consuming driving force of their life, becomes nothing more than an obstacle to get thru' the day before they can get back to the kidlet(s).

So, the changes can be barely measureable or quite dramatic. Isn't that 'changing what a person is'? And isn't change to be sought, since, as I was taught in philosphy class, non-change is stagnation, and thus undesireable of nature?

PS: I may not be making as much sense as I want/think I am...I hit that proverbial brick wall about 10 minutes ago (should have been in bed 30 minutes ago!) and the brain is on the foggified side...

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292794 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Do you have children?
NZA you be making lota sense to me:), we should learn something new every day and kids are the way to learn lots every day and enjoy it.:)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 7 months ago #292796 by Ronney
Diane, I see what your getting at but for me children, both my own and my stepchildren, were part of the whole life experience, not just the total. At no part of it did they deflect from my life and at no time did they become central to it, they became part of it. And with good reason. All of those children have grown up and gone. One is a teacher and now married with 3 children, one in in Perth, the other is about to graduate from Uni. I got them through that and still held on to me. I held on to my goals, lived them and achieved them without losing the instrinsic me or my family in the process.

Yes, I've mellowed and am not quite as fiesty as I used to be but that has more to do with age than children. But I definately have not stagnated.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 7 months ago #292890 by NZ Appaloosas
I don't think you're really disagreeing with me, Ronney--especially as you say they were part of your whole life experience. That's what I'm getting at...our life experiences do change us, because if we had had other experiences, our view would be coloured differently, albeit perhaps only slightly.

To use an illustration of somewhat extremes--"Rebecca" on Shortland Street. She comes across as hard as nails, snippy and the whole world is against her unless she's getting her way. BUT, is she really like that (and I mean the character, not the actress). Does the fact that she had children by two apparently deadbeat guys impact on her personality so much? Had the first or second father been a 'good guy', who had stuck by her, supported her and the kids, would she now be the type who threatens with "you'll never see your niece/nephew again if you don't do things my way, or let me do things my way", when her brother tries to get her onto what he sees as the straight and narrow?

In re-reading this, I guess what I'm asking is that while things like children, and other life experiences, may not affect the kernel of our personalities, do they not indeed affect how we show aspects of our personality?

Diane

More
14 years 7 months ago #292930 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Do you have children?

Ronney;275431 wrote: Yes, I've mellowed and am not quite as fiesty as I used to be but that has more to do with age than children. But I definately have not stagnated.

GAWD! you were fiestier???!!!!!! LOL[;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 7 months ago #292963 by The Kats Place
LOL xartep!

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #293023 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Do you have children?
As far as I'm concerned, we are born with a core personality (having three children who each have a different one - apparent from the day of birth onwards!). However, our values, attitudes, beliefs and behaviour change and evolve as we go through life, and are undoubtedly shaped by our experiences.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 7 months ago #293580 by scooter
Replied by scooter on topic Do you have children?
Have two children- both now teenagers.

Often think it would be easier if we had more than two! [8D]

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

More
14 years 2 months ago #316710 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Do you have children?
nope :( .. they tell me i need a wife or g/f to have kids .. as neither of above ,, no kids , and days like today kids or wife would have been great just to pass me things while trying to do sheep by myself :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds