LONG flight question...

More
12 years 9 months ago #19650 by DiDi
LONG flight question... was created by DiDi
The scenario. A 27 year old workaholic that does not know how to sit still...is not a book reader...is not a film watcher...and a LONG flight to London. Knock out drugs aside - any alternative ideas anyone on how to deal with this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #291218 by Dream Weaver
Hmmm Tricky, maybe a couple of hypnothearpy sessions so they can learn to relax. worth a thought.

More
12 years 9 months ago #291235 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic LONG flight question...
No coffee, tea, coke, chocolate etc for 3 weeks prior to flying. Also no preservatives, no E621, no artificial colouring and the ADHD may well be gone.

More
12 years 9 months ago #291240 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic LONG flight question...
Too late simkin - flight is next week! Keep the ideas flowing everyone - this is scary.

Hypnotherapy - we are talking a guy for one thing and to even suggest that to man's man would go down like a lead balloon. Laugh.

More
12 years 9 months ago #291246 by feedqueen
Replied by feedqueen on topic LONG flight question...
Rum and lots of it :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #291249 by The Kats Place
great minds feed queen, I was going to say gin.
What about an Ipod? Puzzle books? Crosswords.
Accupuncture, but as you say its a man...

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
12 years 9 months ago #291259 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic LONG flight question...
My Dad is a bit like that, although fortunately he likes reading books. Still, he gives himself a timetable, makes sure he gets an aisle seat (usually by the emergency door as it gives his long legs a bit more room).

He then devises a routine, get up and walk about every hour, see if there's another workaholic, ants-in-the-pants type about (he always finds one), divide the time up into "shifts".

Tigger always says "how do you eat an elephant?" One bite at a time, so instead of thinking it like a long flight, think of it as 1 hour chunks or however he structures his work day.

But I believe alcohol cures a lot :D

More
12 years 9 months ago #291262 by mikenz
Replied by mikenz on topic LONG flight question...
Oh man, bad, bad is what it's gona be! I've done that haul, went the long way round and took about 50 odd hours. I just watched that little tv screen till my eyes bleed and I finally passed out (unfortunately at last stop prior to NZ, sydney airport and just before my flight, only just awoke to hear my name being paged!).

Probably just hit the alcohol if not doing anything else, probably the only way to stop going mad. Noise canceling headphones and would be good, and you said no drugs, but I think I'd try and get some sleeping pills next time around.

Sorry not really any helpful suggestions.

Hand-woven Mexican Hammocks and Blankets Online Store
www.hammocksonline.co.nz

More
12 years 9 months ago #291264 by kate
Replied by kate on topic LONG flight question...
I've done it many times and even for someone used to sitting on their backside in front of a computer it's a pain :(

If he's flying an airline that has individual entertainment systems then he can choose to play games or watch films or learn a language or even watch business-type 'time management' seminars.

Alcohol always helps, good earplugs help, flying business class helps even more [}:)][}:)]

There is no magic solution to this problem...

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 9 months ago #291267 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic LONG flight question...
No sleep for 3 days prior to the flight...no seriously what about games, psp or a laptop with games....

Jan

More
12 years 9 months ago #291297 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic LONG flight question...
How about rescue remedy, it was recommended to me to take some on long flights when I travelled with young children.

Other than that, a portable game console. My father in law is not a reader but he enjoys suduco (sp?). Or he could take some work - revise his business plan or something (that should send him to sleep).

He could play a game, where he tries to guess the lives of other people on the airplane by appearances only. (Name, where they're from, what they do for a living, what they do in their leisure time, whether they have kids and a spouse, etc). Or is that just a bit weird?

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 9 months ago #291327 by Dream Weaver
yes Rescue remedy, theres also a homeopathic one called "Travelmed" made by Naturopharm I think it is

More
12 years 9 months ago #291350 by NZ Appaloosas
A massive work out before getting to the airport, get the body tired and hopefully the mind will follow (says the woman who didn't sleep at all on the flights from Florida to Christchurch...)

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 9 months ago #291362 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic LONG flight question...
Sorry, my only suggestion is Valium, lots and lots of valium!

I didn't cope on my flight to and from London. Got picked up by paramedics in LA, taken to a Medical centre. Kim insisted, fiercely! that I needed a higher dose of Valium. They finally prescribed some kick butt dose. I slept all the way to Heathrow. On the way back, we went business class and I was in a bit more control but still ended up being wheeled off the plane in Auckland, all swallowed up by anxiety. Better than when I went though.. I was swallowed up and digested by anxiety..... just being cooped up for that long, the noise, the lack of fresh air, the inability to lie down, the weird pressure thing happening and just the total lack of freedom. I go nuts working in a job so being in a plane for that long had me literally beside myself.

Valium! I can't drink alcohol so it was pills or being tied to my seat by the stewards. They took pity on Kim and gave her some wine from first class.

If the airlines would stop bunging seats in so close and gave people a bit of movement and relaxation space, maybe some people wouldn't go off their nuts and the problem of clots and stuff wouldn't happen.

Yakut

More
12 years 9 months ago #291369 by devan
Replied by devan on topic LONG flight question...
Whatever solution you come up with....I'd still be taking seperate flights if i were you [;)]

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds