Hare problem

More
12 years 10 months ago #19622 by Rod Brown
Hare problem was created by Rod Brown
Under the cover of darkness the hares are coming digging up my lawn and chewing the ends off my various bits of new growth, how do I get rid of them? I guess if Kiwi303 lived next door I wouldn't have the problem or he would sort it out. I only have a slug rifle and no spot light.

I know they are hares as last week in the morning I saw six of them laughing at me on my back lawn.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #290861 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Hare problem
There's that stuff with eggs and paint that you can spray on your vegetation...I can't remember what it's called but it worked for us when we planted our native shelterbelt.

Web Goddess

More
12 years 10 months ago #290869 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Hare problem
There's a recipe for the egg/paint mix here...

More
12 years 10 months ago #290871 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Hare problem
Blood and bone sprinkled around and on the young plants may deter them, too - and fertilize them at the same time.

If the numbers are too big you may have to resort to shooting them. Btw - rabbits look very similar and are more common in small groups than hares who only really seek each other's company during the mating season (which admittedly is now).

More
12 years 10 months ago #290885 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Hare problem

Rod Brown;273326 wrote: Under the cover of darkness the hares are coming digging up my lawn and chewing the ends off my various bits of new growth, how do I get rid of them? I guess if Kiwi303 lived next door I wouldn't have the problem or he would sort it out. I only have a slug rifle and no spot light.

I know they are hares as last week in the morning I saw six of them laughing at me on my back lawn.

An air rifle will take out a hare, if you put the pellet into the brain.

A spotlight = a good torch held by someone else with a steady hand. Look for the red eyes.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
12 years 10 months ago #290914 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Hare problem
A spotlight can be as cheap as $15 for a sealed beam headlight from a wrecker :D and the jumper leads to a $25 battery out of a crashed car fromthe same wrecker. or get a handheld 500,000 candlepower rechargeable from Burnsco or the warehouse for $20 to $30 depending on sales or specials.

A Good air rifle well placed will do the deed, or a .22 is a handy tool to have sitting in a cupboard, more expensive initially than an air rilfe with the licence fees and rack, but more generally useful for more tasks than an air rifle.

Beside which, if you have possums around, after a while you can pay off the cost of either a rifle or airgun by flogging the fur :D so cost of ownership can literally reach Nil over time :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds