Boy vs girl dogs?

More
12 years 10 months ago #19567 by dinnaefash
Boy vs girl dogs? was created by dinnaefash
Hi, everyone

I've always had girl dogs previously, but earlier this year we were given a boy dog... I'm finding it really hard to connect with him, and really noticing the differences between boys and girls! :([}:)][:0] He is definitely more inclined to rome than any girl dog I've had previously, and is more boisterous.

Anyone have any useful tips or advice on handling boy dogs? :confused:
ps he's about a year old now, and has had his bits off [;)]

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #290174 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
I've always found that girl dogs are a bit like girl horses, once you have their loyalty you have a best friend for life and they will do their best to please you. Boys dogs tend to be a bit more independant and def less obedient (generalising here i know) i have only sympathies...no solutions sorry

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
12 years 10 months ago #290187 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
hmm im the opposite. Having boy and girl dogs (and horses) i much prefer the boys. But having said that my wee girl doggie is a delight. But yup next dog will be a boy.

Guess it depeneds on breeds, and personality of them too.

Jan

More
12 years 10 months ago #290192 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
We have both currently and find them equally as good/bad, affectionate/independent as each other. Probably more depends on the dog in question.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 10 months ago #290198 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
How long exactly have you had him, and what was his past life? He we was grown when you got him, as opposed to your past bitches being pups when you got them, that may be the cause of the 'bonding' so far.

Are you the alpha leader, from his perspective? :)

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
12 years 10 months ago #290201 by Louise W
Replied by Louise W on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
I went from male dogs to female dogs and have experienced more of what Devan describes. Both of my GSD bitches (one I had from a pup the other from about 2 years) have been glued to my hip whereas my GSDXRidgeback dog, whilst loyal and affectionate, would also bugger off on me with regularity as would my collie X dog. Both were fixed and I had one from a pup and the other from about 2 years old. Our Collie bitch would never dream of wandering either.

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
12 years 10 months ago #290202 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
I only have Aunty experience to go (as honourary Aunty and babysitter to several dogs) and found the boys (a border collie and a JR) were FULL ON until they were about two years old, then both mellowed a lot. One girl was perfect from day one while the other girl was bad behaved (because her owner allowed it) from day 1 until the last day.

I'd only ever owned male horses and didn't understand how... moody... mares could be until I got one who was particularly moody. Now I understand it and accept sometimes she's .. moody... we get on great :D

More
12 years 10 months ago #290206 by Bunter
Replied by Bunter on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
I currently have one of each, and before my younger bitch arrived I had one of each. I think it depends on temperament & breed. My boy (11 year old Huntaway) is very laid back, wouldnt dream of doing anything naughty but is also much more affectionate than either of the bitches have been and actually less independant.

He has always been under the thumb of both of the bitches so may not realise what its like to make a decision. I did agility, obedience & flygility with him and he wasnt as easy to train as the bitches, but only because he has a much softer temperament and once he got the hang of something he was away and was always very reliable and honest.

I would expect to have another boy next time as I prefer to have one of each.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

More
12 years 10 months ago #290208 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
Having had only male working dogs found them great and all very loyal to me untill one day I was playing with Jean and my old dog must have thought I was attacking her so he jumped between us and told me off good and proper :D that learnd me.Now we have a brother and sister born here and both are just so loyal and cuddly but male( Ted E Bear ) is Jeans dog female ( Violet )is more mine this is their choice and Violet is our first female and wish we had hadmore so my working dog is a girl ( Meg ) and never leaves my side but is loyal to anyone who pats her in the family :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 10 months ago #290209 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
is part of the problem that you were given him rather than chosing one for yourself ?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 10 months ago #290218 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
I much prefer female dogs but I would always choose a male cat ...

More
12 years 10 months ago #290240 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
Never really noticed much difference between oys and girls with cats, they both act very cat like... and never really cared aout doy or girl dogs, they do their job and get tied up again... I suppose pet dogs may act different from work dogs.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 10 months ago #290242 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Boy vs girl dogs?

Birman Babe;272572 wrote: I much prefer female dogs but I would always choose a male cat ...

And I'm the exact opposite :o I've never had a bitch before (well, you know; of the canine variety. I myself can bitch quite nicely) and I've never had a male cat.

I, too, wonder if it's because he is an older dog (ie not a puppy) and because he was given, not chosen. It's very difficult.

Can you persevere and give him, and you, time to bond? Maybe you both need to see a homoeopath? I don't know which remedy to even suggest, sorry.

More
12 years 10 months ago #290251 by Maccabee
Replied by Maccabee on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
Hmmm the simplest way I can put it is that, with the girls you have to ask them nicely and with boys you have to tell them to do it.

What breed is he? What sort of background does he have?

I would say give him lots of exercise and brain work this should settle him down a bit, especially if he is of a working breed. I think in his eyes he may think he is the pack leader not you. If he has had his bits off in the last month or so the testosterone has not yet levelled so if thats the case give him another few months. My best advice would be to be alot firmer with him but only in reason.

Hope this helps.

More
12 years 10 months ago #290257 by mikenz
Replied by mikenz on topic Boy vs girl dogs?
My parents had a female black lab, and i've got a male golden lab. I don't know if it is the sex that is the difference, but my male, is definitely a guys dog. loves charging through the creek, tearing up and down hills, wrestling, jumping anything, in comparison to my parents dog who was always right at your side and much more obiedient and calm.

one annoying difference and the reason my mum doesn't want a male dog is the way they always have to mark their scent on everything when out walking.

Hand-woven Mexican Hammocks and Blankets Online Store
www.hammocksonline.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds