Is this spam? Does anyone know more about this?

More
12 years 11 months ago #291161 by morioka
mine arrived 6/8/09. Strange thing is I haven't advertised anything on rarebreeds for at least 18 months (I think).

Just noticed that if you wave your cursur over the link it will send you to pattyadaily news .com [:(!]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #291602 by david brooks
Hi readers,
Have done some work on this topic. Have found the person but they have not made any contact with me at this part of the investigation. I am also listed on the rare breeds in a number of places but have not received any email. This makes it interesting as to why someone would bother to only select a few members, this is certainly not the way to go about setting up a page. If i do get a response i will let readers know.

More
12 years 11 months ago #291628 by Xartep
Thanks for that David. I also worked out who this person might be but, have not done anything about it. I should email them and let them know what I think about their approach and methods.:rolleyes:

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 11 months ago #291781 by charlotte1
The person who signed off in the original post has advertised as wanting to buy things from the rarebreed website on the 25/7/09.

Guess you guys have already seen it before. Was reading the classifieds and knew I had seen that name somewhere, as I am not too bad with names.

More
12 years 11 months ago #291840 by david brooks
Well done charlotte, You are onto it. This person is not responding to my calls & emails. Maybe they do not need us as they have plenty of information to go ahead with their page.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #310064 by birds
Hi all. I started the website with Anne Bell you're all talking about. I'm sorry I upset some of you. I'm absolutely in love with all birds and truly did want to bring all us bird enthusiast together. When i started my dream bird community i had the time to put it all together. Since Iv'e started working in a veterinary clinic and have had no time. I'm sorry to bother you all, i see its caused quite a stir for you all. I really did want to and still truly do want to continue with the website but being young (as someone figured though my grammar and some cyber stalking) I'm busy with study and work. The unfinished website address is www.featheredfriendsnz.co.nz your welcome to check it out.

Again. i am sorry that i have upset you all, i truly had the best intentions at heart.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by birds.

More
12 years 7 months ago #310464 by Hawkspur
Hi Jasmine & Anne,
People are wary of being contacted personally by unidentified or unverified people. This is because giving information such as personal details out to unknowns can lead to some very nasty results, the smallest of which is spam, and some worse examples of which are identity theft and assault.

I would recommend that when you are trying to do such a thing you give people a way check things out without giving you their details AND without giving yours out across the web either. Perhaps an email address they can reply to if they want to get a contact number for you or a physical address such as a box number to which they can write. This will also help to filter out people who are not interested. Also provide them with more information so they can see exactly who you represent. Giving your website out in that contact email would be one way to do this.

For people to research who you are is not cyber-stalking. It is completely reasonable, as you have made the first approach to them via a personal email without giving any credentials.

You have also found that the less professional you look, by using poor grammar and spelling, the less interested people will be. Many non-legitimate sites and spammers do not bother to check their language and this is a good indicator that the contact is not legitimate. If a professional or legitimate organisation is sending out an email or letter to many people, they do bother to check that they have it right before sending it. It is worth their time to make sure that they are seen as serious about things, because how they are seen matters: Their reputation is at stake.

You may have good intentions, but you need to consider how you are seen, and why you would be trusted before approaching a large group of people you do not know.

• jdnz
12 years 7 months ago #310471 by jdnz
I have just visited the Feathered Friends website and to be honest if I were a bird breeder I wouldn't want to be associated with it for 3 reasons:

1. Poorly written content
2. Poorly planned project
3. Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007

Content
On the internet content is king. A website can have an incredible design but if the site is poorly written the site simply won't be trusted. With a proposed community site trust is crucial.

Jasmine, you might like to have a look at the Contented blog to get some free tips on how to write good web content...and emails.

Planning
I suspect these people had pretty good intentions when setting up this website but the project hasn't been well thought through. Perhaps building the site should have been the last thing you did. A better approach may have been:
  • make contact with a small number of breeders
  • discuss whether they require such a website and if so, what their requirements would be
  • develop a site structure and list of features plus some mockups of what the home page and a subpage would look like.
  • get in touch with some bird breeding associations and ask if they would publish a letter from you in their newsletter. In this letter outline your proposal, share a bit of information about yourself and why you want to build this website and invite people to communicate with you.
  • first may have been a better idea than sending unsolicited emails that you have harvested from another website.
Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007
A number of people jumped to the conclusion that this was spam and untrustworthy - and quite rightly so. What has actually been done here is harvesting email addresses from the Rare Breeds website.

The purposes of the Act are to:
  • Prohibit unsolicited commercial electronic messages (spam) with a New Zealand link (i.e. messages sent to, from or within New Zealand)
  • Require commercial electronic messages to include accurate information about the person who authorised the sending of the message and a functional unsubscribe facility to enable the recipient to instruct the sender that no further messages are to be sent to the recipient
In terms of the Act the email sent was spam and is prohibited by the act.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds