Is this spam? Does anyone know more about this?

More
12 years 10 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #19563 by Xartep
I suspect that a number of you received this email.

It looks like all the birds breeders on the Rarebreeds website have been sent this email. Some of them several times like myself. LOL.

Is it spam? Or can anyone shed some light on the legitimacy of it?

Hi Their. I found your email address on the rare breeds website. My names Anne and I'm starting up a non profit website to bring pet bird lovers of New Zealand together, it will include poultry, waterfowl, parrots and other feathered friends. It will include a page of breeder contacts. Would you like me to include you within the breeders list? If so please email me back with what birds you breed, what contacts you would like me to add and your location.

I apologize for the impersonal nature of contacting you through an email sent to many, although I'm sure you understand the practicality of it.

At this moment in time the website is not up and running yet as I'm still pulling it all together, if you would like me to contact you when its up let me know.

If you have any photo's, stories, tips or advice i would love your input. My vision is to have a website collaberated of tips/advice photo's, stories, amongst other things from New Zealanders about our pets. It's incredibly hard to find any information/groups/support/like minded individuals from NZ on the web. I would like to create a space where we come together.

Any one with information on bird clubs or society i would love to hear from you so we can put a page up for you.

If you have your own website whether it be a farm stead or blog I will be happy to include it on the links page. This website will be able supporting you too.

Thanks for your input and helping make the New Zealand bird community an easier one to access.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by kate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #290118 by Isla
If you want to be involved with a website where the creator can't spell and thus looks terribly unprofessional, go for it. [;)]

I'm always suspicious of emails in which the grammar and spelling aren't even checked. Either it comes from somewhere unlikely, or it's someone just p'g about.

She might be a Waiheke High School student: www.waihekehigh.school.nz/ourcollege/june_news2009.pdf who wants her own group. It's certainly written rather as if that might be the case.

Email her and ask.

Oh, her name's Anne! I was going on the email name when searching.

More
12 years 10 months ago #290119 by spoook
I received the same email and see from the addresses it has been sent to, she has taken a lot of time to compile her recipients.
A bit weird, in my email it is signed Anne Bell but sent from someone else.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 10 months ago #290123 by Xartep
Yes the Grammar and spelling is pretty poor.

I also think that Rarebreeds has anti harvesting software, so they would have had to go to considerable effort to get all the e-mail addresses.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 10 months ago #290154 by Andrea1
I immediately thought it spam, but you are quite right, they would have had to go to a lot of trouble to collect the addresses. Then the paranoid delusionist in me thought someone wants to know where all the rare breed poultry are so they can steal them.... :D [}:)] :D [}:)] :D [}:)] :D

Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 10 months ago #290166 by Clods
I got the email too - I just ignored it.

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
12 years 10 months ago #290167 by Toast
Hi Their. My names Anne. Uneducated! Treat with suspicion. If they do their website properly you'll find it through Google & can take it from there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

• jdnz
12 years 10 months ago #290247 by jdnz

spoook;272452 wrote: I received the same email and see from the addresses it has been sent to, she has taken a lot of time to compile her recipients.
A bit weird, in my email it is signed Anne Bell but sent from someone else.

If she has inserted multiple email addresses into the To box so that you can see who else has been sent it that is really bad practice. That's what the BCC field is for.

• Jack
12 years 10 months ago #290259 by Jack
Gidday

Well what about this one aledgedly from Vodafone to it's customers.

Copy and pasted:-

Dear Vodafone Webmail/ e-mail users, This message is exclusive to all our VODAFONE NZ SUSBSRIBERS ONLY . This includes all owners of accounts with the following services : Ihug.co.nz es.co.nz vodafone.co.nz pcconect.co.nz quik.co.nz wave.co.nz Due to recent maintainance in our communication and E-mailing system , we are currently working on an upgrade in our services. This includes the cleaning up of all accounts and email accounts against harmful viruses, and confirmation of user accounts and passwords. You are avised to send us your account informations to enable us update and sanitize your account. Do provide the following informations of your account: USER NAME: PASSWORD: Via email to us at : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Failure to comply may result to loss of account. Please, do ensure to act as directed to enable us serve you better. Sincerely Vodafone Group Customer Service Center..

More
12 years 10 months ago #290284 by spoook
Yeah like anyone will really believe that one [:0]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 10 months ago #290296 by powerguy
I have received a number lately. My guess is that there is some clued up newcomer to NZ that is setting up web sites using details trolled from the web or phone book and then trying to get people to update their details in the hope that a few months down the track they can start getting listees to pay for it.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
12 years 10 months ago #291143 by morioka
Well this is curious cos I got this - went straight into junk of course

hi,
my name is nelly i am 23yrs old looking young girl and i came across your e mail address toady at ( www.rarebreeds.co.nz ) so i be came intersted to know more about you,if you dont mind i will like you to write me back at my private e mail address at ([email protected]) so that i can tell you more about me with my picture.
nelly.

More
12 years 10 months ago #291147 by david brooks
Have these emails only just come through. I would be interested to know. Example last week, last month, or received in the last couple of days.

More
12 years 10 months ago #291154 by Simkin
I've received the Rare Breeds one, too. Just once because I'm only on there with one breed. It arrived on August 21 - like Xartep's. I first thought it was genuine but then thought - what do we need another one for?

More
12 years 10 months ago #291157 by Xartep
I got one like morioka's also, but it didn't have the huge .cc list as well. Deleted that one immediately.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds