Computer question..

More
14 years 7 months ago #1956 by Birman Babe
I know theres a simple answer but I cant find it.
When I go onto sites they open up in a reduced screen. I know you can "full screen" manually but where in heck do you click to get it to do it automatically...thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #66556 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computer question..
Yeah, that's an annoying feature of Internet Explorer where it always seems to open in a reduced-size window no matter whether you last used it maximised or not.

The way to get around this is:

1) Open IE
2) Drag the Top Left corner of the window right up to the Top Left of your screen
3) Drag the Bottom Right corner of the window right down to the Bottom Right of your screen
4) Exit IE

Next time you open IE again, it will remember the size of your "reduced" window which of course is no longer reduced at all [8D]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 7 months ago #66595 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Computer question..
Thanks will give it a go ..

More
14 years 7 months ago #66956 by Desert Rat
Replied by Desert Rat on topic Computer question..
Heh. It's been so long since I used IE that I forgot that this was possible....a pox on those website developers, anyway.

First rule of holes: When you're in one, stop digging.

More
14 years 7 months ago #66993 by Birman Babe
Well it didnt work :-( Any more suggestions?

More
14 years 7 months ago #67095 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Computer question..
Isn't it the same as the minimise, maximise & reduce down functions?

Top right of your screen is the red square with the white cross in it for closing the whole application, next one to the left is a square with a white bar at the top. If you hold the mouse over it, it will say maximise, click it & you will get full screen view & that little box will have two very small squares with white bars at the top which will say restore down. There's another box to the left with a white bar at the bottom which says minimise. If you click on that the whole screen disappears & you can only get it back by clicking on it from the programme? bar at the very bottom of your screen.

Hope this helps.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
14 years 7 months ago #67110 by Birman Babe
Yes, that all works but how do I get it to stay that way. I have to maximise or F11 my sceen everytime I open up any internet website. Things like Outlook, etc, are okay. Frustrating..grrrr

More
14 years 7 months ago #67340 by Toast
Birman Babe - I know what you mean.

When I went onto Office 2007 my internet browser was opening up minimised & I had to maximise it every time.

Now, internet opens up maximised all the time. Perhaps I changed something, I don't remember though. However, Outlook always opens minimised & I leave it like that because that's the way I've always had my email.

Must be a way to set it up so that it automatically opens maximised.

Might be time for a message addressed to web Goddes, Kate. She really is a whizz!

More
14 years 7 months ago #67390 by Toast
PS - I think it's a combination of the maximise/minimise button & dragging the corners out as Grant says.

More
14 years 6 months ago #67398 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Computer question..
OK, here is the secret.

Think about how you start your (email, browser/whatever) program. Usually by double clicking a shortcut icon on the desktop, or selecting it from the start menu.
Instead of starting the program, right click on it, and select "properties".
You should get a little window up with some options. Of the tabs at the top, select "shortcut". On this tab, there are options where you can change things, the important one being "Run:". You can select how you want it to open - Normal, Minimised, or Maximimised.

Try maximised, hit "OK", then try to start your program like you usually do.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 6 months ago #67401 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computer question..
A good tip Wyseyes, cheers for that :)

I didn't realise you could also select the Window Size with properties of the icons on the Quick Launch bar.

There is one scenario where this doesn't seem to work though and that is when you click a link in an e-mail message. IE always opens as a "Normal Window" no matter what you do. Unless I am missing something [?] [?] [?]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 6 months ago #67405 by Birman Babe
Wyseyes, that doesn work for me either.
If I right click LSB, etc, on my desktop shortcut, then properies..I come up with a box which only gives me 2 options. General and WebDocuments. Cant find anything on their which gives me the option to maximize or minimize.

More
14 years 6 months ago #67407 by wyseyes
Well, then try this

1 - Open Internet Explorer
2 - Shift + click a link to force it to open in a separate window
3 - Alt + Tab to return to the first window
4 - Close it, leaving only the small window open
5 - CTRL + Drag the window edges to adjust the size
6 - Close the resized window by holding down CTRL, and selecting File>Exit. Do not use the big red X.

Now this method may be worked from the "link in the email". Make sure IE is not running, open the site from the email into it's normal window, do items 5 and 6 above.

Disclaimer - haven't tried it, I avoid IE for religious reasons. :)

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 6 months ago #67408 by wyseyes
BB, the reason for that is you are opening it using a saved link, not the shortcut for IE. You need to force the whole program to confirm, not just one favourite link to one website. That link is basically a saved file from IE, just like you would save a letter file.
You need to go and find IE in the Start Menu>Programs>Internet Explorer, right-click and make the change to "maximise" on that.

I believe this works for most other programs, as long as you deal with the actual program

More
14 years 6 months ago #67413 by Birman Babe
Sorry, but I am still stuck. When I open IE from Start Memu I end up with a "Customize your Setting" site but nowhere on there does it allow me to do the above. IF I right click IE from Start Menu I have 3 choices..Browse Internet, Internet Properties (nothing on her allows me to do what you suggest, or Remove. What am I doing wrong???

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds