What do you find acceptable to be consumed?

More
14 years 9 months ago #290748 by sod
Cant beat shark n tattys[;)][}:)]

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #290758 by DiDi
Up until 10 years ago (?) I would have said customery fare was meat and three veg -preferably a roast with lots of veg but now I would suggest it is those M packets of instant dinners or take outs. Not in my house thought 'cause I know how to cook! Assuming we are talking generally and not just LSB families.

More
14 years 9 months ago #290765 by betenoir
Last night when I was planing dinner I was told "I don't want any of that foreign poncy stuff you cook I want a proper kiwi dinner. A curry or bolognaise'[:0] :D :D :D :D
Ps foreign poncy stuff usually means anything with green veggies or pulses in it :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 9 months ago #290789 by moggy

drifter;273096 wrote:

Granny's cookbook, printed in 1904, has an entire section that starts 'Choose plump native pigeons, at least 12-14....'[:0] but I don't think we want to be that traditional[;)] The cookbook strongly advises cooks to 'use every part of an animal, except the squeal, so as not to be wasteful...' I think we have lost that tradition also. We only choose to eat the best cuts :(

which cook book is that? I have a Mrs Beatons one from that era. I would be really interested in some of the recipes.

More
14 years 8 months ago #290911 by NZ Appaloosas

drifter;273096 wrote: 'Customary Kiwi fare' is an interesting one to ponder isn't it.?
I would suggest that as a generalization, it is based on a meat diet with added veges :) rather than a vege diet with added meat :)
e.g roast and 3 vege/hangi/boil-up all based on pork/mutton/beef

Didi wrote: Up until 10 years ago (?) I would have said customery fare was meat and three veg -preferably a roast with lots of veg but now I would suggest it is those M packets of instant dinners or take outs. Not in my house thought 'cause I know how to cook! Assuming we are talking generally and not just LSB families.

Yes, Didi, not just LSB, altho' that's really the only experience we on the forum can draw on )

But that's just it, where exactly does a line get drawn? I get the food-in-a-minute e-newsletter thingy, and in the most recent one, it stated that "butter chicken" is now the number one flavour in NZ...not exactly traditional British/European fare. I also remember a guy (think it was up in the north island) who was prosecuted for eating a wood pigeon, despite his defence that it was his people's customary fare...

And while a roast and 3 veg is/was considered "traditional", it is/was also the norm in the US, especially amongst middle management types--wife stayed home, cleaning cooking, raising kids, and dinner was chicken, pork or beef roast/steak, a starch and the veggies (peas, carrots, and most likely a salad). I remember when peas-n-onions were considered 'fancy' fixins' for dinner parties.

To get back to 'traditional/customary', again, how far back into history does one have to go to actually hit that traditional/customary mark? Medieval days saw swan as being a normal (albeit higher society) meat, and yet from everything I've ever read the best way to cook swan was to boil it up with an old leather boot for an extended period, and when the boot was tender, throw away the swan and eat the boot! So, just how many years is needed for something to be considered "traditional" or "customary"?

Okay, I'm rambling...I think I need to spend some more time cogitating, to make sure I'm clear about what I'm trying to say/ask.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds