What do you find acceptable to be consumed?

More
14 years 9 months ago #289997 by Rustie
Anyone got any heavy duty stickytape? :D

A good friend will bale you out of jail.
A real friend will be sat in there with you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #290000 by NZ Appaloosas
Doesn't a broken nail file qualify??? PMSL (altho' I wasn't when I got the splash from it breaking!)

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 9 months ago #290021 by Telly
I ticked anything but would add unless it's endangered or human. For example, eating whale meat just isn't sustainable enymore. I don't have a problem with people eating what we would consider offensive. It's a cultural thing. I imagine most Hindus would find the thought of eating beef as repulsive as most of us consider eating pet animals like cats and dogs. Ditto Muslims and pork, the French and horses. Normal is relative.

Sorry, did poll and repsonded wihtout reading everything first. Sorry, I'm not going to remove my opinion but then I won't get into a bitter argument with anyone either.

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

More
14 years 9 months ago #290067 by Kiwi303
Twice as many Cannibals as Vegetarians :D Interesting that so many more prefer their Soylent Green to the Greens :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 9 months ago #290069 by DiDi
I had a wonderful "debate" with someone tonight about the actual wording of the debate. Put it this way - my side of the debate - if we have agreed to either be Vegetarian or eat fish, chicken, seafood, sheep, beef, pork and any wild game - what does that leave us in answering "people should be free to eat whatever they want"?

Interesting poll as it is either as subtle as a sledgehammer in an intended outcome or it is a totally separate debate on the last question - surely? Back to square one and maybe that is what people intended in their answer and so be it.

I think I voted up to and including the wild game but I would have been happier with the pheasant left out - they are so beautiful! They already have an enemy in the hedgehog! Laugh

More
14 years 9 months ago #290076 by LongRidge
When I was in UK in 1984, Smiths made potato crisps that were roast hedgehog flavour. Can you still get them?

More
14 years 9 months ago #290082 by drifter
Didi, the truism of polls is that it always tells you more about those doing the poll than those being polled :p

Do a quick flick through previous polls and see how many people feel the need to qualify their position because the questions are not phrased in an unbiased way.
The smacking referendum would be a classic example[;)]

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
14 years 9 months ago #290096 by BillyTheTractor

Kiwi303;272380 wrote: Twice as many Cannibals as Vegetarians :D Interesting that so many more prefer their Soylent Green to the Greens :D

I loved that film!

Wee Farm

More
14 years 9 months ago #290100 by Kiwi303

BillyTheTractor;272422 wrote: I loved that film!

maybe I had best not check the cooks garden thread "whats for dinner tonight" for your responses :P

More
14 years 9 months ago #290111 by sssnake
This is the way I would interpret the poll :)

Currently 61% of people think people should be allowed to eat anything within the boundaries of the law, no harpooning of dolphins but if you are allowed to own it or hunt it, you can eat it

33.5% feel that people should eat what is considered as 'customary' Kiwi fare if you like, what you would expect to be on the plate if you went to your neighbours for a roast meal

5.5% of people are just saying 'bite me!'

Personally I'm quite surprised there are no voters for the 'no red meat' option, speaking from my limited experience here. Maybe if the question was 'what do you find acceptable to eat' ie your personal eating habits the answers would have been different :shrug:

But IMHO the poll shows people draw a line in the sand, a few think animals should not be considered food full stop, some think 'customary' Kiwi fare is acceptable, the majority think your diet should not be limited to what Kiwis consider 'normal'

And this was the purpose of it after all :)

Personally I thought the split would be more 70/30 :rolleyes: :)

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

More
14 years 9 months ago #290112 by powerguy
I think I can get away with this because I am not expressing an opinion, just stating fact. I am vegetarian. I raise beef cattle. I voted for 6 because it is all a personal choice and people need to be aware of what they do and the consequences of doing it.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
14 years 9 months ago #290130 by stacey

sssnake;272442 wrote: some think 'customary' Kiwi fare is acceptable

Hey, I thought we weren't allowed to express our opinions in this thread :p And yet still that label of "customary kiwi" fare is being applied - peoples opinions of what exactly "customary kiwi" fare is differs :)

Haha, don't mind me - just nitpicking here [}:)] :p :D

More
14 years 9 months ago #290629 by NZ Appaloosas
Actually, I've been thinking on this for some time...what exactly constitutes "customary Kiwi fare"? Is it what the British/European settlers ate/eat or is it what the Maoris ate pre-European settlement?

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 9 months ago #290649 by drifter
'Customary Kiwi fare' is an interesting one to ponder isn't it.?
I would suggest that as a generalization, it is based on a meat diet with added veges :) rather than a vege diet with added meat :)
e.g roast and 3 vege/hangi/boil-up all based on pork/mutton/beef

Granny's cookbook, printed in 1904, has an entire section that starts 'Choose plump native pigeons, at least 12-14....'[:0] but I don't think we want to be that traditional[;)] The cookbook strongly advises cooks to 'use every part of an animal, except the squeal, so as not to be wasteful...' I think we have lost that tradition also. We only choose to eat the best cuts :(

Actually, if you do a survey, I expect that the most common food eaten in NZ would be McDonalds[}:)]

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
14 years 9 months ago #290741 by Kiwi303

drifter;273096 wrote:
Actually, if you do a survey, I expect that the most common food eaten in NZ would be McDonalds[}:)]

Not here! I loathe McD's, KFC for me :D

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds