Fit for the purpose???

More
14 years 9 months ago #19531 by Xartep
Doesn't it just wind you up when you buy something and it only lasts a few weeks.

I bought a pair of slip on canvas shoes for the short person at the end of June, they were on sale at Farmers so it didn't hurt the pocket too much, but RRP was around $30.

Just over a week ago they fell apart. The glue holding the soles on stopped working.

Upon closer inspection, I see that the soles are almost worn through, and the canvas has small holes in it already!!!

I mean really $30 for kids shoes that don't last 6 weeks?[}:)]

As they were a gift, the receipt went into the fire, so I can't even go to back to the shop and complain.:(:(:(

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289651 by mikenz
Replied by mikenz on topic Fit for the purpose???
Yeah totally that doesn't sound like they gave out a good life even for kids shoes, who are pros at demolishing and outgrowing shoes. You may still beable to return without the receipt, specially if they are the only stockists of those shoes and you get a helpful salesperon. They maybe able to look up the sale on the computer system possibly..?

On the other hand buy a really good pair of shoes and they can last nearly forever. I have a pair of Caterpiller boots that were bought in the states in 1996 or 1989 can't remember now, but anyway they are still going strong and are my main winter shoes. One resole, but still comfortable and warm many years on.

Hand-woven Mexican Hammocks and Blankets Online Store
www.hammocksonline.co.nz

More
14 years 9 months ago #289669 by Telly
Replied by Telly on topic Fit for the purpose???
I know exactly what you mean about the cheaper kids shoes falling apart, Xartep. The prblem mikenz is that it is very hard to justify paying a lot of money for shoes you know they will grow out of in a very short time. However, we have now started buying more expensive sneakers of reputable brands for our 7 year olds, just because they are so hard on their shoes. It's not so bad now that their rate of growth has slowed a bit but when they were very little I bought the cheaper ones. These sneakers have lasted almost a year which is a real record. They do need replacing now though. Although one year we bought more expensive black boots - those pull on dress kind - and they lasted a shorter time than the cheap ones. We did get replacements for those though.

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

More
14 years 9 months ago #289675 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Fit for the purpose???
Well "in my day" (when I was 7) we went to school bare footed...rain, hail or snow.
Only had shoes for "good". I buy Pulp shoes from Hannahs for myself these days. They are affordable, good width for my feet, and they seems to last me for years.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289678 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Fit for the purpose???
I have gotta say I wouldn't have paid the RRP of $30 for these shoes, I think that is expensive for what they are. What gets me is that there are a lot of people out there who are buying these products at full price and getting ripped of.
I bought a similar pair of shoes when in the states a couple of years ago for $10 and they were worn everyday for 6 months until she grewout of them.

Farmers won't take things back without a receipt as "proof of purchase" but if they didn't sell such junk people wouldn't try to return it so much. I'm starting to remember why I stopped shopping there, but the choices are limited around here.:(

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 9 months ago #289692 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Fit for the purpose???
I think that your local Citizens' Advice bureaux (or Consumer's Institute, perhaps?) may be able to help - as I don't think retail outlets NEED to have a receipt as proof of purchase. If the item is a brand only available that the store, or you can (eg) provide a visa or bank statement showing the purchase, then I think that can be enough. May be worth giving it a go - have you tried?

It is very frustrating. Very. And expensive :)

More
14 years 9 months ago #289697 by Xartep
Unfortunately I can't go down that road either, normally it would be on my visa, but I had Nana with me that day, and you know what they are like, they sneak of while you're looking at something else and pay cash for everything then quickly throw the receipts in the fire so you can't see how much they spent!

More
14 years 9 months ago #289698 by Xartep
I might go in and make a fuss anyway just for the principle of the thing.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289723 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Fit for the purpose???
Hi Xartep,

I would definitely go back to Farmers to complain. They won't give you your money back but they will take notice. Ask to see the manager. If a product is not fit for the purpose then the consumers guarantees act springs into action - no matter what Farmers says and provides.

I found that as soon as I mention 'Consumers Guarantees Act' and 'not fit for the purpose' most staff members become very friendly and helpful. I've had a lot of complaints with shoes we bought from Dowson's - and compared to that 6 weeks is a long time for a shoe to last[}:)]. We've had shoes that started falling apart on day 3[}:)][}:)]

I don't usually keep receipts. We found that the ladies in the shop suddenly were very forthcoming with telling us which brand and model was a good buy and I think we got like 10 Dollars off a new purchase. But we don't go there anymore. We stocked up when there was a boxing day sale at Rebel Sports where we got good quality shoes at 50% off for all family members :) :)

More
14 years 9 months ago #289749 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Fit for the purpose???
I refuse to shop at Dowsons now. Grrrr. DS received a voucher for a birthday and purchased what he wanted. Lasted not very long. I got really quite grumpy, in front of kidlettes, to get money back (shoes irrepairable; no similar style shoes left).

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds