Dialysis - anyone have any experience of it

More
14 years 6 months ago #19527 by celt
My mother in law is in end stage renal failure. She could have peritoneal dialysis to alleviate her symptoms but doesn't want to. Anyone had dialysis or have a loved one who has who could tell me how invasive it is to one's day to day living versus how well it makes the patient feel.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Toni - Northland
14 years 6 months ago #289522 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Dialysis - anyone have any experience of it
My oldest friend had this and in the end had to go onto three times a week hospital diaylis(sp). It is very invasive and she had to empty her bag that was in her stomach 4 times a day, but she did mangage to go on a cruise. :) They were very good to her and she enjoyed it. She died recently, she was a real battler and survived longer than they thought she would. It was bloody horrible to watch. She had been sick for many many years, started off with diabetes. Hugs go to you and your family in this time. You have lots of decisions to make.

More
14 years 6 months ago #289532 by wyseyes
I have a close relative on peritoneal dialysis.

It involves draining about 2L of Dialysis Solution (water and glucose) into the Peritoneal Cavity (gut and intestinal area), then refilling it. The process is gravity fed, takes about an hour, and must be done seated in very clean situations as infection is the biggest danger.
This is usually done at 7am, 11am, 4pm and 9pm. Four hours gone from the day, gets frustrating to a normally active person.

Later she may be able to do a Cyclic PD, which is the same method, but a machine is responsible for cycling 10L in and out at night, while asleep. Then the whole day is free. However, this is only available to those who fit certain criteria, flow rates etc.

HeamoDialysis is the other option, first done in the renal clinic. An IV needle removes a wad of blood, filters it and puts it back in the body. This takes 4 hours, but doesn't need to be done again for 48 hours. This can become a home exercise if a machine comes free.

All versions take extensive training, practise, and surgery to prepare the various stents, cannulas, and other body bits required. All the equipment and supplies are supplied, delivered and sterile.

While it is not a procedure I would wish on anyone, watching the 100% improvement in energy of the patient far outweighs not having it.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 6 months ago #289543 by celt
thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

More
14 years 6 months ago #289798 by Dream Weaver
I cant help with advice, but hugs your in my thoughts.

More
14 years 6 months ago #289972 by celt
thanks Smilie. She is 84 but her decline is painful to watch.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds