Terry Pratchett

More
14 years 9 months ago #289679 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Terry Pratchett
I enjoyed Tiffany and the Nac Mac Feegles. The Nac Mac Feegles pop up in other books and are subtly different... nastier? cruder? can't quite put my finger on it. Although it's probably a perspectave thing. Tiffany has a relationship with them, others are trying to get rid of the infestation[;)]

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289691 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Terry Pratchett
They are in 'Carpe Jugulum' (which I am rereading now :) )

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #289703 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Terry Pratchett
He is my favourite author and I have downloaded all his books and sit here at the computer listening to them over and over [:I].
Listening to 'Going Postal' at the moment. I, sometimes, even put them on the mp3 player for when I'm at work.
The Nac Mac Feegles always remind me of wild and woolly Scotsmen taken to the extreme :D .

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289726 by Rustie
Replied by Rustie on topic Terry Pratchett
I'm working my way through them in Discworld order and have finished reading Guards Guards!

I also have the audiobooks but listen to them after reading the books so i can pick up some of the more subtle bits, so currently have Guards Guards! on my ipod that i listen to at work, in the car and the garden, certainly helps time fly! :D

A good friend will bale you out of jail.
A real friend will be sat in there with you!

More
14 years 9 months ago #289758 by stacey
Replied by stacey on topic Terry Pratchett
Well, I like DEATH. He is my favourite character :)

More
14 years 9 months ago #289765 by reggit
I like him too, Stacey, and I also like Vimes, Granny Weatherwax, and Susan - all the 'grumpies' LOL!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #289768 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Terry Pratchett
I like Death as well, but I prefer Death as in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series. Obviously, tho', I'm way behind on my Pratchett reading...will have to pick that back up after I finish rereading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289770 by reggit

NZ Appaloosas;272027 wrote: I like Death as well, but I prefer Death as in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series. Obviously, tho', I'm way behind on my Pratchett reading...will have to pick that back up after I finish rereading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

TP's are the only sci-fan books I can read, I find the others take themselves far too seriously [}:)]

More
14 years 9 months ago #289774 by NZ Appaloosas
Have you tried David Eddings or Piers Anthony? Especially Anthony's Xanth series? First 3 are probably a bit more serious, as Xanth was meant to be a trilogy, and hadn't yet developed a life of its own. One warning about Xanth books, tho', do not read them if you do not appreciate bad puns. LOL

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289787 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Terry Pratchett
I have the complete Mallorean on the bookcase, along with both the Elenium and the Tamuli. Used ot have the Belgariad, but they fell apart from over-reading. I need a new set.

I liked the Incarnations books, they are IMO better than Xanth, in that Xanth is degenerating over time as there is only so much you can do with puns... :P the first Xanth books were better than the last ones, the rot set in around the time of Question Quest, then the afterword started getting more interesting than the book itself.

Theres an entire shelf of Pratchett, and a healthy sampling of Piers Anthony. the first half of the wheel of time, most of the conan books and the complete Zelzany Amber series. The complete Riftwar and Empire series' most of the following Krondor set and a scattering of the novindus books. LOTR + The Hobbit + The Simarillion. a significant portion of Heinleins output, large chunks of shelf taken by Tom Clancy, even more by Anne Mccaffrey.

I have more books than most families do just ion and of myself, and the rest of my family are almost as bad, plus there're all dads books he left when he died.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 9 months ago #289820 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Terry Pratchett
*cough* sounds like a perfectly normal bookshelf to me[;)]
In our family you borrow a book at your own peril.... we will remember and track you down for years[:0]

Have you tried Orson Scott Card?

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289825 by Kiwi303
yup, never bought any of his books, but the Ender Wiggins series was adequate.

What do you make of David Drake?

More
14 years 9 months ago #289969 by NZ Appaloosas

Kiwi303;272049 wrote: I have the complete Mallorean on the bookcase, along with both the Elenium and the Tamuli. Used ot have the Belgariad, but they fell apart from over-reading. I need a new set.

I liked the Incarnations books, they are IMO better than Xanth, in that Xanth is degenerating over time as there is only so much you can do with puns... :P the first Xanth books were better than the last ones, the rot set in around the time of Question Quest, then the afterword started getting more interesting than the book itself.

Theres an entire shelf of Pratchett, and a healthy sampling of Piers Anthony. the first half of the wheel of time, most of the conan books and the complete Zelzany Amber series. The complete Riftwar and Empire series' most of the following Krondor set and a scattering of the novindus books. LOTR + The Hobbit + The Simarillion. a significant portion of Heinleins output, large chunks of shelf taken by Tom Clancy, even more by Anne Mccaffrey.

I have more books than most families do just ion and of myself, and the rest of my family are almost as bad, plus there're all dads books he left when he died.

Sounds like the bookshelves I left behind in the US :( I had books from when I first started reading (yay Dr. Suess and Golden Books) which were then used to teach my own kids to read, and pretty much everything K303 lists, along with Ann Rice and a few others. Been slowly rebuilding the collection here, but books are just so darned expensive now. My first Pern books had the US$1.75 price stamped in them.

Diane

More
14 years 9 months ago #289979 by Kiwi303
find the secondhand shops :D I tend to buy $2 to $7 softcover books, many still with the whitcoulls or suchlike shop stickers on them saying $19.99 or $29.99 etc.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289980 by NZ Appaloosas
I've depleted the local secondhand shops

Diane

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds