Take a big breath BEFORE reading...

More
14 years 9 months ago #289173 by reggit

Toni - Northland;271355 wrote: Looks like it is already happening then.

It was a genuine question, Toni. Do you want to answer it, or do we just make assumptions on what you meant? :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289177 by moggy

Ronney;271366 wrote:

On the surface there is no differance to eating a dog you have reared to eating a pig, sheep or beast - except cultural. We don't eat horse, we don't eat dogs or cats. If people want to do that, go back to the country they've come from and do it there. Don't come here because NZ can offer a way better lifestyle, bring their culture with them and expect that NZ is going to find it acceptable.

So I take it you were decended from the early settlers who did exactly that? Eating Mammals is not "traditional" in NZ as there were no mamals (except a bat for those who want to be pedantic) . So your ancestors came to NZ for the better lifestyle and brought their culinary norms with them.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289179 by stacey

wiredkiwi;271329 wrote: I just think it's vaguely unnatural for omnivores to eat carnivores. It's not a particularly common part of the food chain. Human beings have some pretty odd eating habits sometimes.

Except for carnivores like shark, squid and octopus - very commonly found in most Fish and Chip shops in NZ. Perhaps it needs to be limited to a specific type of carnivore. [;)]

Toni & Ronney - I'm a born and bred kiwi, but perhaps I am not part of YOUR New Zealand..... That's fine with me. I would rather be a part of the NZ that is known for being tolerant and respectful of other people rather than a NZ who doesn't really think about or explain WHY something doesn't feel right to them - it's "just because I said so and you're dumb if you think otherwise".

More
14 years 9 months ago #289180 by Simkin

moggy;271376 wrote: So I take it you were decended from the early settlers who did exactly that? Eating Mammals is not "traditional" in NZ as there were no mamals (except a bat for those who want to be pedantic) . So your ancestors came to NZ for the better lifestyle and brought their culinary norms with them.

I thought seals were mammals? And dolphins, whales and sea lions, too.

Also, Maori brought pigs and rats with them and they came before the European settlers.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289181 by Clods
Don't see any difference in eating it than any other animal. I wouldn't personally - wouldn't think much meat on it. Its just we put an association on some types of animal that makes them seem more human. If it'd been a pedigree dog that had cost $1000 I would have questioned the sanity of it.

I wouldn't eat my pet goat, but I wouldn't have any problems eating goat I hadn't raise from a baby.

The problem is in our own minds, rather than any real difference in a pet animal to an food animal. Plenty of us have pet food animals, don't we?

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
14 years 9 months ago #289182 by Kilmoon
Heh, if we're gonna get upset about eating a dog, then can we get rid of other foods that we find disgusting? Personally, for me its: all asian foods, middle eastern foods, cabbage, snails, all fish, vindaloo and curries and my hubby has a pet hate about English cooking.

Stop the bickering people...and think about what you truly find offensive: the fact that it was a dog. So what? Members on here eat their sheep, cows, deer, chickens (okay roosters), ducks, pigs etc, whats wrong with someone wanting to eat their dog? Better that they ate their dog than went onto your property, stole one of your livestock and ate that.

Give it a rest and realise that the members that make up this forum are diverse and have different levels of whats disgusting or not. The 'attacks' against members (and in this case this family) just because they have a different view of life (and death) to all of us as individuals has got to stop...chill people, its Monday and surely we have bigger things to gripe about than whether to eat the family dog or not.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289193 by kate
I am closing this thread - I think all views have been expressed and things will only go downhill from here.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds