Take a big breath BEFORE reading...

More
14 years 9 months ago #289118 by sssnake
So what is 'customary' exactly? :confused:

Curry? Chilli? Or just plain old roast mutton?

When it comes to eating things take a look around the world, Mrs Sssnake travelled in India amongst numerous other places, in one village when going to the public toilet she looked down and saw.........

a pig, ready and waiting [:I]

Rather eat the dog myself..........

With you NZA

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289120 by reggit

sssnake;271312 wrote: So what is 'customary' exactly? :confused:

Curry? Chilli? Or just plain old roast mutton?

My friends and family are regularly grossed out by the thought of eating animals that we have raised on our block specifically for the plate, because they feel that as they are not eating an anonymous member of a large flock produced elsewhere and then delivered via supermarket wrapped in plastic, it is somehow not right. To them, the way we raise food is not 'customary' for the modern society they live in...

None of them will come around for a meal of the recently dispatched roosters, for example. As far as they are concerned, I think we might as well be offering them dog :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #289121 by stacey

xevbellringer;271287 wrote: Well obviously it is not customary to eat dogs in NZ - if it was it wouldn't be in the news!

Forgive me if I don't use the media as a gauge of what is customary and what is not customary in NZ[;)]

More
14 years 9 months ago #289125 by sssnake

None of them will come around for a meal of the recently dispatched roosters, for example

Thats because they realise it is illegal tigger....... :rolleyes:

Just kidding, know what you mean. Have seen the odd fork hesitate in its trajectory when innocent babes mention the name of the sheep they are about to consume. Oddly always named posthumously..... :)

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

More
14 years 9 months ago #289127 by reggit

sssnake;271319 wrote: Thats because they realise it is illegal tigger....... :rolleyes:

Doh! Of course! That must be the reason for their pained expressions! [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #289130 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Take a big breath BEFORE reading...

tigger;271309 wrote: Is that the royal 'we', Toni? [}:)]

Hope so, because not sure which group in particular you are referring to otherwise. Seems this thread is split pretty much 50:50 at the moment...:rolleyes:

WE as in New Zealand, New Zealanders', those born here or now New Zealand citizens from other countries. Otherwise it is a dumbing down of our society.

And, here I will leave it. :(

More
14 years 9 months ago #289132 by reggit

Toni - Northland;271325 wrote: WE as in New Zealand, New Zealanders', those born here or now New Zealand citizens from other countries. Otherwise it is a dumbing down of our society..

I am a 'we' then and I don't feel that I fit into your description of what 'we' don't want. Seems there are quite a few who might fit into this category on here. It doesn't really work trying to be inclusive with 'we' when the 'we' excludes a fair chunk of those who supposedly make it up...

Not sure what you mean by the last sentence :rolleyes:.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289133 by wiredkiwi
I just think it's vaguely unnatural for omnivores to eat carnivores. It's not a particularly common part of the food chain. Human beings have some pretty odd eating habits sometimes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289135 by reggit

wiredkiwi;271329 wrote: I just think it's vaguely unnatural for omnivores to eat carnivores. .

It doesn't light my candle either, wiredkiwi - but then neither does eating Bambi's family [;)] or seafood with most of its body parts intact (despite the fact that most of it filter feeds, or eats other marine flesh (think crabs)), and yet that is seen as being, not just customary, but an absolute birthright by plenty of kiwis...:rolleyes:

More
14 years 9 months ago #289139 by NZ Appaloosas

Toni - Northland;271325 wrote: WE as in New Zealand, New Zealanders', those born here or now New Zealand citizens from other countries. Otherwise it is a dumbing down of our society.

And, here I will leave it. :(

The man investigated is NOT a New Zealander, nor was he born in New Zealand, and one is not required to be a citizen to live in New Zealand. So...the only ones allowed into the country are those who are westernized, Christian, and have no problems running around in short- shorts, miniskirts with hair and face uncovered? Because otherwise, anyone not fitting into those descriptions "dumb" down the society?

I always thought meeting new people, learning new things and exposure to new cultures was a way to expand knowledge, not "dumb" down the people...

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #289156 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Take a big breath BEFORE reading...

tigger;271328 wrote: I am a 'we' then and I don't feel that I fit into your description of what 'we' don't want. Seems there are quite a few who might fit into this category on here. It doesn't really work trying to be inclusive with 'we' when the 'we' excludes a fair chunk of those who supposedly make it up...

Not sure what you mean by the last sentence :rolleyes:.

Looks like it is already happening then.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289161 by Kiwi303

Toni - Northland;271325 wrote: WE as in New Zealand, New Zealanders', those born here or now New Zealand citizens from other countries

:(

I'm a NZer, born here, as was my mother, and we both agree that so long as it was humanely killed, non-human, and he wanted to eat it, he has the right to bloody well do so. It was his dog after all, so why is everyone getting so upset? it's not like he nicked someone elses pampered fido for a feed.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• Jack
14 years 9 months ago #289163 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Take a big breath BEFORE reading...
Gidday

You are sooooo abso-bloody-lutely right there Kiwi.

No way would I eat dog but no way would I bitch if my neighbour wanted to.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289167 by Ronney
This is something I am always a little abivilant about and finally come back to when in Rome do as the Romans do. My sister spent some years in Brunei where one of her neighbours regularly sourced puppies, reared them and then they "disappeared". My sister, coming from a country where dogs were either companions or workers was disgusted but recognised that Brunei was not her country and their culture was not hers and wisely kept her mouth shut.

On the surface there is no differance to eating a dog you have reared to eating a pig, sheep or beast - except cultural. We don't eat horse, we don't eat dogs or cats. If people want to do that, go back to the country they've come from and do it there. Don't come here because NZ can offer a way better lifestyle, bring their culture with them and expect that NZ is going to find it acceptable.

To reinforce my feelings on this, while living in Taupo two Tokaloan(sp?) gentleman arrive to buy 6 weaner pigs out of a litter of 10. They made their choice and I drafted them off. They then went back to their vehicle to get what I presumed was something to put them in. They came back with a very stout broom. Somewhat puzzled, I asked what they were going to do with the broom. "Kill the pigs". What??? Apparently the idea is that one man holds the piglet down on it's back while the other puts the broom handle across it's throat, stands on either side and throttles the piglet. I took a deep breath, opened the gate and let the piglets back in with their litter mates before turning around and telling these men to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I don't think I had ever been so angry. There was no way I way going to have anybody kill piglets in that manner on my property nor would I have allowed them to go to be killed like that elsewhere. Needless to say I sell no livestock whatsoever to my ethnic brothers.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 9 months ago #289172 by reggit

Ronney;271366 wrote:
To reinforce my feelings on this, while living in Taupo two Tokaloan(sp?) gentleman arrive to buy 6 weaner pigs out of a litter of 10. They made their choice and I drafted them off. They then went back to their vehicle to get what I presumed was something to put them in. They came back with a very stout broom. Somewhat puzzled, I asked what they were going to do with the broom. "Kill the pigs". What??? Apparently the idea is that one man holds the piglet down on it's back while the other puts the broom handle across it's throat, stands on either side and throttles the piglet. I took a deep breath, opened the gate and let the piglets back in with their litter mates before turning around and telling these men to f@Ck off. I don't think I had ever been so angry. There was no way I way going to have anybody kill piglets in that manner on my property nor would I have allowed them to go to be killed like that elsewhere. Needless to say I sell no livestock whatsoever to my ethnic brothers.

So again, it comes back to how the animals are killed, humanely or not? :rolleyes: Rather than the eating, per se.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds