Take a big breath BEFORE reading...

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #289063 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Take a big breath BEFORE reading...
True, other cultures do eat dog,(don't agree with it there either) but NOT here, we are in NZ and it isn't traditional for us to eat dog, recession or not. Too many excuses being made here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289069 by DiDi
Tigger you are quite right. Machete = cynicism. 4" x 2" = cynicism. Now here is a quote:

Baudet added: "One of the main ingredients we have to prove is pain and suffering. Because (the pitbull-cross) was rendered unconscious prior to being stabbed...we can't prove pain and suffering."

And we arrived when the dog was dead so we have no other choice but to believe the person killed it humanely. How? Notice how careful the article is to NOT say how the dog was "stunned". Certainly NOT blaming the SPCA - poor buggars!

Hell I eat meat and have no problem with those that do if the animals is killed humanely but I'm talking anything other than dog or cat. This is not acceptable in this country and no PC rubbish as to cultural practise back in the Islands will change my mind.

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #289070 by Toni - Northland
PS, I haven't read the article you put the link to, but switched over the telly and they had pictures of the dead dog, I quickly switched back. BUT, am I right in thinking they aren't going to prosecute this person. If not, I wonder if they had been Palangi, would they have.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289072 by NZ Appaloosas

Birman Babe;271187 wrote: Well they no longer live in Tonga & they should obey our rules on animal welfare or get prosecuted. Actually I didnt think dog was a Tongan delicacy.

Uhm, they did. Eating dog is not illegal in NZ. They slaughtered it in a proper fashion, and have broken no laws. Just because you or I might think it is disgusting, doesn't make it wrong. In fact, some anthropologists/paleontologists believe that the dog was originally domesticated as a ready, at-hand source of meat.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289073 by xevbellringer
In our house, we don't eat our pets, be it a dog, cat, lamb or pig. If it's a pet - it's not food. The NZ culture recognises dogs as pets or working dogs - not food. I wouldn't want dogs (& other pets) to become recognised as food in NZ. Ignorance of our cultural values is no excuse. When you go to another country - you learn what it acceptable & what is not, so as to make no social blunders! like this one.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289077 by NZ Appaloosas
What's the local custom? The British/Irish/Scottish culture brought by the white settlers? The cooking in hot springs practiced by early Maoris, or the cannabilism that was taking place until the white settlers abolished that part of the existing culture?

He didn't steal the dog, he was investigated as to cruelty in the death of the dog, and that investigation found he humanely killed the dog. What gets me is all this furore over the dog, and yet nobody has mentioned the fact that last week TWO children were abused to the point of needing hospitalisation (and one dying) within a 5-day period. Isn't THAT a hell of a lot more important to show outrage over than someone following a cultural tradition that we don't find attractive????

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289080 by stacey
Yep - I am in the same camp of if it was killed humanely then it's not an issue. When I first read the headline I had visions of reading a story about some scumbag/sicko who roasted an animal alive just for "fun", so I was actually relieved when I read the whole story!

Not sure what the deal is with saying it is not "NZ culture" - I was under the impression that NZ was a multi-cultural society - who decides what is NZ culture or not? Just a matter of opinion I guess.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289083 by sssnake
The dog was killed by a blow to the head with a rock, the dog then had its throat cut and was cooked in an umu

I don't eat dog, you don't eat dog so what? I don't eat brussel sprouts, cauliflower, frogs, sparrow or rat amongst other things. Some people do, good on them :)

If they were trying to eat my dog I would be against it somewhat :rolleyes: but they weren't

You may choose an animal to be a pet, other people call it a meal [^]

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

• Jack
14 years 9 months ago #289086 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Take a big breath BEFORE reading...
Gidday

Well bugger me dead. No I would not eat dog either but consider it none of my business and certainly none of SPCA's business either what other people eat.

It's tiome some people learnt to but out.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289093 by xevbellringer
Well obviously it is not customary to eat dogs in NZ - if it was it wouldn't be in the news!

More
14 years 9 months ago #289108 by LongRidge
I must admit that I haven't tried dog or cat, or horse or donkey, but I do like garden snails and huhus. 5 of these are regularly eaten elsewhere in the world. I don't think I could eat a sheeps eye either, but pigs eyes are great in brawn .... where they can't look at you. Anyway, I must be off to gut and scale those ..... whitebait .... I caught today.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289110 by sssnake
Tried horse in France, quite nice [^] Am with you LR on the huhu's, good tucker :)

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #289114 by Toni - Northland

xevbellringer;271287 wrote: Well obviously it is not customary to eat dogs in NZ - if it was it wouldn't be in the news!

You are right xevbellringer. And, we don't want to make it customary either. It is NOT acceptable. Hells, bells, it's the bloody PC brigade out in force again.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289115 by reggit

Toni - Northland;271308 wrote: And, we don't want to make it customary either.

Is that the royal 'we', Toni? [}:)]

Hope so, because not sure which group in particular you are referring to otherwise. Seems this thread is split pretty much 50:50 at the moment...:rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #289117 by NZ Appaloosas
I think "PC" is one of the last things most people would call me. I just think that there are much bigger worries out there to get one's heart rate racing over than someone eating a dog...rising unemployment, child abuse, foreclosures, human rights abuses, crime rates, adult illiteracy, drunken driving, lousy sentencing of serious offenders, resurgence of diseases due to lack of vaccinations, terrorist attacks, floods, earthquakes, landslides, etc. Someone erroneously believing that they are in a land of "acceptance" of other cultures falls rather far down the list of worries, IMO.

Diane

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds